X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    You sure those weren't tour buses? The Wailuku run uses those 18 passenger maxivans; and the ones I see stopping in front of Maui Mall are vans, not like TheBus.

Miulang
    Get two kind of Buses!
    http://www.co.maui.hi.us/bus/

"MAUI BUS RULES - For your safety and those of others:

* One (1) medium-sized suitcase, duffle bag, or carry-on bag allowed, no larger than 22”Hx14”Wx9”L and must fit and be placed under the passenger seat or on the passenger's lap so that they do not protrude to another seat.
    * Golf clubs or detachable fishing poles properly covered or in a container with no sharp edges are limited to three per person.
    * Soft body boards without skegs and beach mats must be free of sand and debris.
    * Surfboards and sandboards are not allowed.
    * Pets must be in an enclosed container or cage.
    * Service animals are allowed on vehicles.
    * Metal framed child carriers, collapsible baby strollers, band instruments, skateboards, and small coolers are limited to one per person.
    * Please wait on proper side of the roadway for the bus to arrive at the bus stop sign.
    * Please wait for the bus to make a complete stop before approaching the bus.
    * Please enter the bus with the exact fare.
    * Please allow senior citizens the use of front seating.
    * Please be alert at all times for sudden or quick stops.
    * When standing, please move to the rear of the bus and always hold on to standee handbars or seatbars.
    * Please do not change seats after the bus starts moving and fasten your seatbelts.
    * Please do not litter.
    * Shirt and footwear are required.
    * Smoking is prohibited.
    * Food and beverages are prohibited.
    * Loud music is prohibited."

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      Get two kind of Buses!
      http://www.co.maui.hi.us/bus/

"MAUI BUS RULES - For your safety and those of others:

* One (1) medium-sized suitcase, duffle bag, or carry-on bag allowed, no larger than 22”Hx14”Wx9”L and must fit and be placed under the passenger seat or on the passenger's lap so that they do not protrude to another seat.
      * Golf clubs or detachable fishing poles properly covered or in a container with no sharp edges are limited to three per person.
      * Soft body boards without skegs and beach mats must be free of sand and debris.
      * Surfboards and sandboards are not allowed.
      * Pets must be in an enclosed container or cage.
      * Service animals are allowed on vehicles.
      * Metal framed child carriers, collapsible baby strollers, band instruments, skateboards, and small coolers are limited to one per person.
      * Please wait on proper side of the roadway for the bus to arrive at the bus stop sign.
      * Please wait for the bus to make a complete stop before approaching the bus.
      * Please enter the bus with the exact fare.
      * Please allow senior citizens the use of front seating.
      * Please be alert at all times for sudden or quick stops.
      * When standing, please move to the rear of the bus and always hold on to standee handbars or seatbars.
      * Please do not change seats after the bus starts moving and fasten your seatbelts.
      * Please do not litter.
      * Shirt and footwear are required.
      * Smoking is prohibited.
      * Food and beverages are prohibited.
      * Loud music is prohibited."

Auntie Lynn
      So we're BOTH right! Maybe the Lahaina route uses the bigger buses because of the tourists.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Can't speak for Kaua'i, but Maui is finally getting on board with the notion of public transportation. In the last couple of years, the public bus routes have expanded so that it's much easier to get to places by bus (some routes are free and I think the most expensive fare is $1, so it's a bargain). The buses on Maui aren't the BIG buses like they have on Oahu, though; they're those 18 passenger maxivans. So while handy, they are a little limited: they don't allow you to bring luggage aboard or anything that you can't hold on your lap. It will be wonderful when the day comes that some real buses start running on Maui!

Miulang
        Kauai's had public buses since 1992 (officially 1994; the first two years were grant-funded charters of Gray Line following Iniki). Our "buses" are 36 pax shuttles similar to UHM's campus shuttles.

http://www.kauai.gov/Government/Depa...8/Default.aspx
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyrab View Post
          I have an idea: Hawaii ought to sit down and try to do business with Norwegian Cruise Lines (the operator of two existing cruise ships that frequent Hawaiian waters) to "allow" partial cruises - since the ships are American flagged, built in American shipyards and have an American crew, the (federal) Jones Act theoretically shouldn't be a problem. (The prohibition against carriage of people between U.S. ports that the company has cited in the past actually applies only to FOREIGN-flagged vessels, a point that they have been known to leave out in an effort to weasel money from people.) That way, islanders would be better able to use those ships as transportation, and there would be no fast Superferry problem - and if there are some subsidies, the cruise line might be tempted into offering better service aboard its vessels. (Currently, judging from the few travelers' reports that I have seen online, getting off the ship at Kauai instead of Honolulu apparently nets the company a few-hundred bucks in fake "fines".)
          I don't think that's feasible at all. The cruise ships are built around a leisure voyage and intra-island travel, non-tourist, isn't really leisure specific. And you lost me on NCL, they currently do cruise between US ports in Hawaii right now because they agreed to have American flagged ships manned by American crews and built in America.

Traveling between the islands, there's a threshold to what is an acceptable length of travel. To go from 3 hours to 6 hours is simply another way of killing off any ferry.

Comment

This story first appeared in the LA Times a couple of days ago and is now making the rounds of the national newspapers.

Even though people in Hawai'i think that this kind of "bad press" will keep the tourists away and create negative opinions, I think it may do just the opposite for many of them, because the main reason why tourists visit Hawai'i and not LA is for its unique physical beauty. I see periodic letters in the Maui News from tourists to Maui who are so turned off by the overdevelopment there that they swear they will never return.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

excerpt from makah whaling website:
              they do have federal permission pending a waiver....sound familiar?

On the Morning of May 17, 1999, Makah whalers accomplished what they had prepared and trained months for. That morning, as the news of the successful hunt spread, the village of Neah Bay assembled on the beach to welcome the whale to the community as their ancestors did more than 70 years ago.

Canoes from many surrounding villages came to assist the Makah in delivering the quarry to the people. As the whale was towed to shore, the people ran into the water to have a closer look. With eyes wide, they touched the smooth skin and examined it's mottled pattern. Children were amazed at the size of the creature.

The whale was then prayed over, as were the whalers. Prayers were offered to thank the whale for giving its life to sustain that of the Makah and to free its spirit for passage to the other side.

After proper respect was paid, the whalers began carving and distributing the meat and blubber to the people to taste for the first time what had been a staple for their ancestors for thousands of years. The whale was butchered through the night and the meat and blubber was either frozen, smoked or stewed.

Later that week, Neah Bay was host to the largest celebration in its history. American Indians from all over the U.S. and Canada and indigenous people from all over the world came to celebrate the Makah's return to whaling. The Neah Bay High School Gym was filled to capacity with people from all over the world who came to sample the catch and news media from all over the country covered this historic event.

Two years ago, a US federal appeals court acknowledged the tribe’s treaty right to whale. However, the court ruled that the tribe must comply with the US Marine Mammal Protection Act and obtain a waiver before it can proceed with a hunt. The Tribe applied for a waiver in February 2005. Currently, the US government is reviewing the Tribe’s request in an Environmental Impact Statement and will begin a formal rule-making process.

Once the Makah is granted a waiver, their hunts would be conducted with a domestic permit as it was during the successful hunt in 1999. The Tribe shares a gray whale quota with the natives of Chukotka, Russia Federation issued by the International Whaling Commission.
              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

• Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                excerpt from makah whaling website:
                they do have federal permission pending a waiver....sound familiar?
                As Leo noted, after that 1999 kill, an injunction was placed on further hunting, even though the gray whales are no longer on the endangered species list. As the story you quoted noted, in 2005, the Makah applied for a waiver; that waiver was in the process of being evaluated by the feds when the illegal hunt happened last month. Now the tribal leaders are afraid that their cause has suffered a setback because of this illegal act and they want to prosecute the 5 hunters. It's the "pending approval of the waiver" that is the important clause here. The sad thing about the September hunt is the whale suffered for 7 hours before it finally sank, dead, into the ocean. And so the whale was killed needlessly...no one was able to use the flesh in tribal ceremonies or for food.

I didn't understand why Sen. Hanabusa gave the quotes she did in the Advertiser story this morning, but this Maui News story reveals why the Legislature was so annoyed:

The undoing of the Superferry may be supporters who are believed to have initiated an e-mail campaign that is more annoying than persuasive, according to Maui Sen. J. Kalani English. The bulk of the e-mails that arrived at a rate of about “one every minute” were in support of the Superferry and a special session, he said.

“You would think the Superferry people would show some haahaa (humility), that they would have called and said, ’Can we talk about this?’ There’s been not a word.

“They haven’t talked to us, and today, they have set up an auto generator that sends out thousands of e-mails.

“There was an auto-generation of e-mails that had even the strong supporters in our caucus wondering, ’What are they doing?’ By jamming our e-mail systems, they have created more questions than support,” English said.

“They’re assuming we’re too naive to know it’s auto-generated even when it all says exactly the same thing and is coming in by the minute.

“It’s fake public support. Instead of dealing with us, they’re faking it.”

Sen. Roz Baker, who was attending an awards program for the American Cancer Society in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, said she received so many e-mails that she had to ask her staff to turn off the system before it jammed her Blackberry.

“We haven’t had a lot of phone calls, so there isn’t a lot of opportunity for dialogue,” Baker said. “I’m more interested in hearing from people who have thought through the issues and may have some real feelings rather than somebody who is just forwarding on some e-mail.
                Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  I didn't understand why Sen. Hanabusa gave the quotes she did in the Advertiser story this morning, but this Maui News story reveals why the Legislature was so annoyed:
                  So much soap-op drama, let me toss a conspiracy theory in here too. Are we sure it's emails from HSF? Or are they spoofed and used as a DOS attack? Just like the rock theft incident?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    The HSF would make shua and take precautions not to hit or kill any whale.
                    Yea, right. Like the way they made shua no one would smuggle three truckloads of imu rocks onto the ferry?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      So much soap-op drama, let me toss a conspiracy theory in here too. Are we sure it's emails from HSF? Or are they spoofed and used as a DOS attack? Just like the rock theft incident?
                      you could be right. if HSF opponents knew to use certain types of operating systems with mail servers built in (not naming any for the innocent), they could totally spoof HSF.

Honestly, I don't think HSF has the time or money based on the types of jobs they were advertising to fill that they could pull off this kind of operation.

HSF is already screaming "Don't taze me bro!" , so I doubt an annoying automated email campaign is them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
                        you could be right. if HSF opponents knew to use certain types of operating systems with mail servers built in (not naming any for the innocent), they could totally spoof HSF.

Honestly, I don't think HSF has the time or money based on the types of jobs they were advertising to fill that they could pull off this kind of operation.

HSF is already screaming "Don't taze me bro!" , so I doubt an annoying automated email campaign is them.
                        They just laid off their IT guy according to the news so makes them even less capable, at least face value, to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Miulang
                          Having worked for both State and City officials, I can say that form letters are given little audience. A letter or email from a constituent that is written by that person expressing that person's feelings on a matter is worth far more than a cookie cutter letter or email where all one has to do is sign their name.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                            Having worked for both State and City officials, I can say that form letters are given little audience. A letter or email from a constituent that is written by that person expressing that person's feelings on a matter is worth far more than a cookie cutter letter or email where all one has to do is sign their name.
                            I think the spoofing could have been done by someone from either side of the issue; but what is more telling is the complaint both from Sen. Hanabusa and Sen. English that neither Garibaldi, O'Halloran nor any representative from HSF (other than the PR guys) has been in touch with anyone in the Legislative leadership asking to work with them to try to come up with a solution. If HSF wants to do business in Hawai'i, it's pretty clear what Sen. Hanabusa and Sen. English expect the next step to be. The HSF website does have some suggestions on it to call or email the Legislature, but the email template provided is a free form one where someone would have to write out something first and then cut and paste it many times if they wanted to use the HSF website to accomplish this.

Miulang

Comment

I think the spoofing could have been done by someone from either side of the issue; but what is more telling is the complaint both from Sen. Hanabusa and Sen. English that neither Garibaldi, O'Halloran nor any representative from HSF (other than the PR guys) has been in touch with anyone in the Legislative leadership asking to work with them to try to come up with a solution. If HSF wants to do business in Hawai'i, it's pretty clear what Sen. Hanabusa and Sen. English expect the next step to be. The HSF website does have some suggestions on it to call or email the Legislature, but the email template provided is a free form one where someone would have to write out something first and then cut and paste it many times if they wanted to use the HSF website to accomplish this.
                              This almost sounds like feudal dark ages, so Garibaldi or O'Halloran needs to pay homage to Hanabusa and English? Having the PR staff (PR meaning public relations meaning that's their job function) isn't good enough? Dang, let's also make Garibaldi and O'Halloran kowtow too while we're at it in order to do business. Yes...let's keeping making that black eye even blacker. I figure Garibaldi is already probably working closely with Lingle who is basically the highest official in our state but guess not good enough to Hanabusa.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                                This almost sounds like feudal dark ages, so Garibaldi or O'Halloran needs to pay homage to Hanabusa and English? Having the PR staff (PR meaning public relations meaning that's their job function) isn't good enough? Dang, let's also make Garibaldi and O'Halloran kowtow too while we're at it in order to do business. Yes...let's keeping making that black eye even blacker. I figure Garibaldi is already probably working closely with Lingle who is basically the highest official in our state but guess not good enough to Hanabusa.
                                Hey, I'm not saying that's right; but isn't that what you get too from their comments? I think there's been this underlying level of distrust (and your comment about him probably working with Lingle cinches it) all along, so yeah, maybe you gotta kiss a few okoles if you really want something. The Gov. is outnumbered. She isn't going to get her way with this unless she and/or HSF management at least make some attempt at conciliation. Otherwise, it could be perceived (rightly or wrongly) as arrogance. When the chips are down, you don't send in your 3rd string players. It's time for Garibaldi to start earning that $20k/mo salary that he's getting as 90% of his employees hit the unemployment line.

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; October 12, 2007, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X