X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by helen View Post

Are you opposed to it because of the concept of service it offers is flawed or because of how everything was done to get the service here?
    Both

I also don't want to see Kauai, the Big Island, and to a lesser extent, Maui, become a surburb of Oahu.

Comment

Ok..time foa me to get outta Depression! It's getting interesting!

BAZOOKAS? Weapons? OMG!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        But you also know that Maui Tomorrow and the Sierra Club are not going to let it end there. As in a chess game, there will be another appeal. Would it go back to the HSC, or could it go higher than that, like to the 9th Circuit in SF?
        Miulang

not sure how it would happen that this matter would go to 9th circuit. someone please correct me if i am wrong (i'm not a lawyer, but i worked with enough of em): before it would go to the 9th circuit appellate court in san fran for appeal, it would have to be heard in the USDC court in honolulu. in order for that to happen, federal law would have to have some sort of jurisdiction in this matter, and i'm just not convinced at this time that it could. my understanding is that a case can't just jump from hawaii state supreme court to the federal district court system...unless someone comes up with a plausible argument that barring the superferry is unjustly barring interstate commerce or something like that (intrastate commerce is, on the other hand, as far as i am aware, simply a state matter).
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
          Both

I also don't want to see Kauai, the Big Island, and to a lesser extent, Maui, become a surburb of Oahu.
          I don't think the majority of Superferry supporters or Hawaii residents want that either. But stopping this boat is a waste of your good energy.

Stop the upzoning of ag land to houses. Stop residential and commercial development. Work with the council and the state. Be ready to fight your cousins cousins who stand to get rich of off the development by selling their land to developers. Be ready to accept that home prices will rise even further than they have been in the past. Be ready to accept that job opportunities will continue to be limited.

I am serious. This is not sarcasm. There are much better ways to stop the other islands from becoming another Oahu. I definitely support that. But people have to be willing to fight and suffer. Molokai is the only half successful model. It has not been easy for them and the fight never ends.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
            I don't think the majority of Superferry supporters or Hawaii residents want that either. But stopping this boat is a waste of your good energy.

Stop the upzoning of ag land to houses. Stop residential and commercial development. Work with the council and the state. Be ready to fight your cousins cousins who stand to get rich of off the development by selling their land to developers. Be ready to accept that home prices will rise even further than they have been in the past. Be ready to accept that job opportunities will continue to be limited.

I am serious. This is not sarcasm. There are much better ways to stop the other islands from becoming another Oahu. I definitely support that. But people have to be willing to fight and suffer. Molokai is the only half successful model. It has not been easy for them and the fight never ends.
            holey effing cow. do any of you see pigs flying somewhere? or is hell freezing over? because, by god, for once i wholeheartedly and without reservation agree with kamuelakea!! aaaack!
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              holey effing cow. do any of you see pigs flying somewhere? or is hell freezing over? because, by god, for once i wholeheartedly and without reservation agree with kamuelakea!! aaaack!
              Correction honeygurl. Ass juss da firss time you admit in public dat u agree wid me. I can feel da energy sometimes an I know you agree but no PC to say.

I catch dat Kamuelakea is like one bad car wreck on H-3, no like look but kannah help.

Aloha Auntie

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post

not sure how it would happen that this matter would go to 9th circuit. someone please correct me if i am wrong (i'm not a lawyer, but i worked with enough of em): before it would go to the 9th circuit appellate court in san fran for appeal, it would have to be heard in the USDC court in honolulu. in order for that to happen, federal law would have to have some sort of jurisdiction in this matter, and i'm just not convinced at this time that it could. my understanding is that a case can't just jump from hawaii state supreme court to the federal district court system...unless someone comes up with a plausible argument that barring the superferry is unjustly barring interstate commerce or something like that (intrastate commerce is, on the other hand, as far as i am aware, simply a state matter).
                The catch might be the exemption from the DOT that allowed MARAD to give the $140 million loan guarantee to HSF without the required EA. MARAD, as a federal agency, does have the same environmental requirements that the State has under HRS343.

Miulang

P.S. Have you noticed how awfully quiet Dan the Man has been about the whole fiasco? Wasn't he just as big a proponent of HSF as the Gov. was?
                Last edited by Miulang; October 10, 2007, 06:49 PM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

For the record. I was PRO PRO PRO "Save Sandy Beach" and "Save Our Surf". I bring that one up because I thought that saving the Ka'iwi Coast was an awesome "David and Goliath" story where the little guys took on the big guys (including Bishop Estate) and WON.

That was a real fight with a real goal and a real need and a real outcome. This one seems funny kine. No smell right.

Comment

Very good points.

Comment

Very good points.
                      Mahalo Brah. Keep up da level headed discussion. Somebody gotta make up for my outrageous emotional outbursts. Serious kine.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        This much is true, it would appear that all the talk about scenic views seems to be for the Oahu to Maui route and it's return trip.
                        Are you opposed to it because of the concept of service it offers is flawed or because of how everything was done to get the service here?
                        The concept of service HI Superferries offer is imperiously designed toward pefection, especially control, and, thereby, pathological to popular welfare of whatever county. The manifestation of HI Superferries via the dysfunctionality of the United State's Hawaii (unless its function is to serve corporate america) state government, especially the Hawaii Executive branch, is a forgivable crime of misrepresentaion, but not a tolerable one.

The islands of the Hawaii archipeligo should not be governed by "one man, one vote" Honolulu wins all. Had the states of the United States been set up in such a fashion as the State of Hawaii, the population of New York City would have decided all matters of the nation. Democractically speaking, it has to be apparent that the peoples of Hawaii, the indigenous people of each island, would be better served were Hawaii a nation, independent of, but hopefully able to on good terms with all Mesonorthamerican peoples.
                        Last edited by craig foo; October 10, 2007, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Correction honeygurl. Ass juss da firss time you admit in public dat u agree wid me. I can feel da energy sometimes an I know you agree but no PC to say.
                          nope.

...and back you go to your usual modus operandi of taking a thread of truth and weaving it into a tapestry of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by craig foo View Post
                            The concept of service HI Superferries offer is imperiously designed toward pefection, especially control, and, thereby, pathological to popular welfare of whatever county. The manifestation of HI Superferries via the dysfunctionality of the United State's Hawaii (unless its function is to serve corporate america) state government, especially the Hawaii Executive branch, is a forgivable crime of misrepresentaion, but not a tolerable one.
                            Yeah, face it, Craig, Kaua'i, in this scenario, is being treated like the red headed stepchild compared to Maui. Did you notice how Garibaldi insisted that if HSF couldn't sail to Maui that it couldn't sail in Hawai'i at all? Wassup with that? You guys going take that kind of insult lying down? You guys get the most beautiful scenery in the world, good saimin and fried chicken, Tip Top restaurant...what else now? Oh yeah, gridlock on your one, 2-lane road

Eh, Maui get ROCKS! Yeah, the best grade for stone walls and imus. We get Krispy Kreme, we get Tasaka Guri Guri, we get Komoda Bakery cream puffs...oh yeah, and gridlock on our 4-lane roads (cannot call 'em highways like get on Honolulu because the speed limit only 50 mph though).

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The commute times between islands via boat would make that prospect impractical.

So the real underling issue is having a service that allows a person with a car to travel between the islands. Is that your fear? Commuting between the islands is basically a bad idea?

The reason I bring this up is that even though the SuperFerry fails and leaves the state what is to prevent another company to offer the same kind of service? And this time they avoid the mistakes that the SuperFerry did. Do the EA/EIS before starting service, travel at a slower speed like 12 to 15 mph that way they can avoid the whales, make the cruise an overnight experience, be really careful with screening of incoming passengers making sure no invasive stuff comes through. And the real kicker is all the harbor improvements have been done already.

Comment

It boils down to sustainability. As it stands now there is glut of jobs on most of the islands. But they are all in unsustainable industries.

We need to clean up our business climate here to attract more sustainable industries. Currently it seems investors need to confer with tree huggers
                                before they invest a dime here.
                                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X