This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Ready or not, here it comes. Out of drydock today, blessing this weekend, but lots of testing will be needed before it makes its long journey from Alabama to Hawaii in April.

Hopefully some photos of the vessel itself will come across the wires in the next few days. If you missed them, the official Hawaii Superferry site has several photos of the interior.

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Ready or not, here it comes. Out of drydock today, blessing this weekend, but lots of testing will be needed before it makes its long journey from Alabama to Hawaii in April.

Hopefully some photos of the vessel itself will come across the wires in the next few days. If you missed them, the official Hawaii Superferry site has several photos of the interior.
    I think those are the same stock photos from before.

Looks like they revamped the website and there's a route schedule and fare list.

Comment

It's not entirely clear from their website.. are they charging separately for cars and passengers? Or is it one of those things where you can stuff as many people in the car in addition to luggage as you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
        It's not entirely clear from their website.. are they charging separately for cars and passengers? Or is it one of those things where you can stuff as many people in the car in addition to luggage as you want?
        umm I don't think this is the Waialae Drive in. I believe all passengers are paying as is the vehicle.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Pax pay separate from the vehicle but there is no restriction on how much you want to pack your vehicle with luggage. So offhand, pax fares are more expensive than the current airfares. But if you factor in needing to rent a car and if you got ton-O-luggage, it would work out to be the better deal.

Comment

Look at the interior schematic at this link. Only two restrooms (one for each gender; three units in each) for 866 passengers?!?
            Better learn to hold it, folks.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Look at the interior schematic at this link. Only two restrooms (one for each gender; three units in each) for 866 passengers?!?
              Better learn to hold it, folks.

That's cuz you forget, you can do #1 over the side of the ship anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                I think those are the same stock photos from before.
                Right. As I noted, I was pointing them out for those who hadn't yet seen them. I'm mostly curious about the external look and livery... mentioned in the news briefs but not accompanied by photos!
                Wait, was that in the EIS?

Actually, I wonder what adjustments have been made to the overall business model... since the Superferry was announced before the current interisland airfare wars. The prices they posted to transport a family of four and a minivan seemed downright reasonable against a $180 one-way ticket on Aloha Airlines in 2004. But how about against $39, or $29, or $19 fares?

True, those money-losing fares are not sustainable, but it's clear it'll be a while before airline tickets go back to where they were when the Superferry was conceived. Will the Superferry feel compelled to "price match" somehow when another volley is fired by go! or another carrier?

Comment

No; 'twas in the Preliminary Impact Statement - Supplemental.

*ahem*

Waiting for it...

Comment

No. But that's probably why they want an EIS!
                    And to joshutree... yes, one of the genders can easily go over the side, but.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Getting back to the topic... any thoughts at all on how the Superferry will fare against $19-$39 airfares? Is the market they serve materially different from folks who want or need to fly?

Apart from the novelty angle, would you pay $460 to take a family of five and a minivan on a five hour ferry ride to the Big Island ($70/person one way presumably from Oahu during "peak" season plus $110 for the vehicle) when you can fly everyone there in a fraction of the time and rent a van (for a day) for less?

If and when Aloha collapses and airfares go back up to $79-$149, the Superferry rates will look very attractive. And for people who plan long stays on a neighbor island and want to save on renting a car, it'll look good the day it starts running. But for quick day trips in the land of go!, I wonder...

Comment

Getting back to the topic... any thoughts at all on how the Superferry will fare against $19-$39 airfares? Is the market they serve materially different from folks who want or need to fly?

Apart from the novelty angle, would you pay $460 to take a family of five and a minivan on a five hour ferry ride to the Big Island ($70/person one way presumably from Oahu during "peak" season plus $110 for the vehicle) when you can fly everyone there in a fraction of the time and rent a van (for a day) for less?

If and when Aloha collapses and airfares go back up to $79-$149, the Superferry rates will look very attractive. And for people who plan long stays on a neighbor island and want to save on renting a car, it'll look good the day it starts running. But for quick day trips in the land of go!, I wonder...
                        I think apart from the novelty, it will capture a different market. Definitely those with a fear of flying. And those who prefer to bring their own car. Let's also look at the bargain hunters, offpeak to Big Island with advance purchase. So $52/person one way and $100 for the van. So about $360 for family of 5. Ultimately, I think the ferry will capture people who intend to stay on another island for a few days and need a vehicle. Then it makes economic sense to take the boat vs plane. Last, it boils down to how much luggage are you bringing. If you're factoring in ton-O-gifts for relatives, you got to compare that to luggage limits on airlines.

Also, since price of oil has dropped lately, it's possible SF may readjust fares accordingly.

Comment

Pax pay separate from the vehicle but there is no restriction on how much you want to pack your vehicle with luggage. So offhand, pax fares are more expensive than the current airfares. But if you factor in needing to rent a car and if you got ton-O-luggage, it would work out to be the better deal.
                          Yeah, that makes sense. It'd probably be most economical for people with a lot of stuff or who want to stay for a while with a car. Those rental car charges add up pretty quick...

Now then... when do they start service to CA so people can take road trips to Hawai`i?

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. It'd probably be most economical for people with a lot of stuff or who want to stay for a while with a car. Those rental car charges add up pretty quick...

Now then... when do they start service to CA so people can take road trips to Hawai`i?
                            Not to mention the COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER (CDW) insurance premium the car rental companies try to stick you with. That's an insurance RIP-OFF at $10/day! Think about it, that's a rate of $3650 per year!

The rental companies either self-insure or have their collision/comp coverage with a $3000 deductible. So, they scare renters with the spectre of a $3000 bill should the renters get into an accident, regardless of fault.

First of all, "fault" does matter in regard to property damage claims. Second, a driver with collision/comp coverage on his own vehicles will find that coverage "extends" to any accidents he may have with rental vehicles up to the limits of that coverage. If his deductible is $500, that's what he will be responsible for, NOT $3000. Third, if you use a major credit card (e.g. VISA, Master Card) that is a GOLD card level or higher, the CDW is covered by the credit card.

I'm a likely user of Super Ferry for a week-long visit to the Big Island. I'm waiting for the opportunity drive my own car on the open roads in a level of comfort I won't find in a U-drive.
                            Last edited by oceanpacific; January 20, 2007, 08:03 AM.

Comment

The nice part about the Superferry is the ability to load all your stuff once when leaving home. Then unloading it when you get to your hotel.

You don't have to go through all the hassle of making sure things weigh less than 50 pounds, have TSA rummage through your luggage unsupervised or risk having things stolen from your car when shipping via barge.

And now someone on Craigslist in Kauai can conveniently buy a used car from someone in Oahu.

Comment

Working...
                              X