Oahu and Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu and Rain

Yeah, PM, it looks like the rain isn't going to hit you; it's supposed to stay just Kauai, Oahu and on to Maui. We had little bit wind last night, but no wind at all during all the heavy rain.
    But about half an hour ago the sun came out and lots of blue sky, especially toward the northwest, and now the Kona winds are starting to kick up.
    I'll be posting a few photos on the Photo Sharing thread in a few minutes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Beach cleanup time!

Rain finally over.
      DS and I had an adventure on the beach picking up trash; filled up three tall trash bags in about 30-45 minutes. Some interesting finds:

enough eggplant and bittermelon to fill a bushel basket

a plastic head model with features and illustrations painted on it and a big hole in the side of the neck.

two sprouted coconuts promptly planted above the water line by DS

a big CANE TOAD that jumped out of the big pile of debris and provided lots of chasing fun for the boy

lizards and skinks and crabs that made the trash-hunting fun!

We ran out of bags long before the beach ran out of trash. But we are tired and sweaty and came home to get a shower afterward.

There's our share of Reef care for today.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        What rain? It's only windy over here. Perfect weather to dry clothes.
        UH-OH!!! Look at the radar image at this link!!! Looks like the Kohala coast is gonna get lickins.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
          Still just BLASTING away here, unbelievable - well quite similar to the 40 days of a couple years ago.
          What I remember about the 40 days of rain, is that it was more of a sustained drizzle then a “blasting.” A blasting is what Wai‘alua got over the last 24 hours. More than 14 inches, according to the 8:45 pm National Weather Service update!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            Usually, if you put the top up, it helps.
            Did she get a ticket for driving with her tp down?

Comment

Today was a wonderful day to find out that my brand new umbrella leaks.

Honestly, I don't mind the rain. I don't mind my pants being soaked up to the knees, I don't mind my hair being wet and frizzy; if I hadn't been running late to work I probably would have enjoyed it. But I'm scared to death of wet sidewalks. I walk like a creaky old lady when it's wet out because I'm terrified of slipping and cracking my head open. Had a few close calls today actually, including an incident when all of my foot went flying forward except for my big toe which decided to go the other direction, somehow.. OUCH
              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Good grief...whatta wet and wild ride today was but every time I needed to get out of my car, the rain abated! Loved that! My family's plane was delayed so I sat in the cell phone waiting area for close to 40 minutes of torrential rain...just me and my iPod!!! Finally got the family in the car and headed out for lunch at JJ Dolan's and some shopping.

But, oh my, when we were headed home at 5p, the sky turned black as night and I was hoping to beat what promised to be one heckuva downpour! As soon as we got in the door the sky opened up and the wind went into high gear.

The Ala Wai canal is gross as is the ocean off the mouth of the canal. Yuck! Brown water is putting it mildly!

The news said Waianae got almost 12" of rain in about that many hours. A friend at my Makaha condo complex sent me the photo below, taken this morning. The water had already started to recede after flooding many of the first floor units and the entire grounds. Lucky I live 2nd floor (X)!

Comment

KGMB's 10pm newscast is going to be 1 hour long tonight (12/11/08), team coverage about today's rain.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                    /snip But I'm scared to death of wet sidewalks. I walk like a creaky old lady when it's wet out because I'm terrified of slipping and cracking my head open. Had a few close calls today actually, including an incident when all of my foot went flying forward except for my big toe which decided to go the other direction, somehow.. OUCH
                    There were some pretty good sized puddles around curbs and crosswalks downtown today. I noticed some drivers were recklessly zooming through the puddles and splashing people on the sidewalks while other drivers were considerate and noticably made an effort not to spray up water from the puddles. Mahalo to the considerate drivers.

Comment

Okay, that was freaky! I woke up at 4am last night and stepped in an ankle deep puddle. I turned on the light and saw water pouring down the wall of our bathroom, and the window was closed! I went out to the kitchen to get some towels out of the dryer and skidded into another puddle- water was pouring in from under the back door (which was also closed). Various things were flying by our windows, so I woke up Jason, and luckily he was smart enough to bring in the propane tank before it crashed into the house and exploded. But our bathroom was completely flooded and were our kitchen, dining room, and part of our living room. Thank goodness for army-issue floors! I guess that's what we get for living below sea-level!

This morning after it finally stopped, the only damage we had were some huge palm fronds that had fallen in our back yard and chairs scattered about. Oh, and we couldn't drive down our street b/c it was completely flooded so they had blocked it off. Our mainland guests were less than thrilled: "So does this happen every winter? Why is your house leaking? Why can't I open your back door?" Whooooosh! (That's why!)

Hope you all faired okay. Glad you're back safe and sound, TG. I was hoping you weren't trying to fly home today.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

All the fields across Ka Uka from Waipio Costco (future homes of Koa Ridge?) were full of water by 5 AM and the mess just cascaded into Kipapa Gulch. The waterfall down the side of the gulch was impressive-- 20 feet wide, splashing out 5-10 feet from the wall of the gulch, flooding out a dozen homes on the downhill side.

Kam Hwy into Roosevelt Bridge was flooded by the runoff, and DOT even spent an hour with a frontloader scooping up mud. That embankment washes away every year and there's absolutely no storm drainage.

The rest of the runoff flooded out Roosevelt Bridge, where of course one driver stalled out in floorboard-deep water. Luckily they were northbound, not southbound, so HPD didn't close the southbound bridge until morning rush hour was over.

Kipapa Gulch "Stream" was a raging torrent. (I wish there'd been enough light for a decent photo.) I hope those bridge pilings are set really really deep and that there's no debris clogging the channel. The whole gulch was flooded out and the fighting cocks pet roosters were all up on top of their shelters.

It's going to take a few days for the water to run off down there. Hope this weekend isn't too wet.
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

'Interesting' find...

At Kualoa Baech Park, an ancient skull was uncovered/discovered.

Alii were buried in that region...
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Another day of flooding....

glad to hear you and yours are safe. unfortunately others got flooded out. our power outage lasted about 7 hours.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Manoa stream today:

Yesterday:
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Great phtoos, MJ!
                                We've got rain and thunder and lightning out here right now and flash flood warnings are in effect until 9:30pm, but I just looked at the radar and it looks like the worst is already over.

Comment

Working...
                                X