Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Kolea

First kolea!

I actually went looking around my neighborhood Sunday, hoping to see my Alaskan friends, but it wasn't until Monday at the Fort Shafter golf course (I was at a function) that I saw my first, then my second. My usual first kolea, on the front lawn of the Mokulele Fire Station, still hasn't arrived, but this morning I saw one of his buddies in the nearby baseball field.

A colleague said: I love these birds. When they show up, you know the school year's about to begin, and when they leave, the school year's about to end. No wonder I feel such kinship with these birds!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Already? Wow, where did the summer go?

Originally posted by scrivener
      A colleague said: I love these birds. When they show up, you know the school year's about to begin, and when they leave, the school year's about to end. No wonder I feel such kinship with these birds!
      And are they dressed in their new duds yet?

Comment

Still in their tuxedos. Just like me.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Kolea departure

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Here's a column by Bob Krauss in the Advertiser on the inevitable departure of the kolea.
          Resurrecting this topic, cuz all our kolea are switching to their 'tuxedos' really fast these days. Gonna be a shame to see 'em leave soon...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It's always kind of a sad day when the migratory birds start leaving this area (RI) en masse. While some birds do winter over, (like a few robins), the majority of the birds who can migrate to warmer weather do.

I was fortunate to see many migratory birds while on my recent two month winter farming tour in the Caribbean, that is, the birds who had migrated from the mainland US for the winter...it's almost, in a way, kind of like "cheating"..to be able to see the birds one normally wouldn't see during the winter on the mainland US, in their winter homes. Sort of like getting up very early on a winter morning to view the evening Springtime constellations which start appearing in the eastern horizon.

In the same light as above, I've always thought it would be neat to see the kolea in their Alaska summer breeding grounds...has anyone here in HT ever made the journey to Alaska and seen kolea on "the other side"?

Comment

First Kolea!

On the lawn in front of the main building at the Kaneohe campus of HPU. He was really scrawny-looking, and I'm pretty sure he got in just in the last sixteen hours or so, because I've been looking for the birds who were here at the beginning of summer. He wasn't there yesterday.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Saw our first one here this morning. Chatty little bird, too, making lots of calls.
                Chat on, Kolea. I'm just glad you're back!

Comment

Kolea sightings

We have a kolea in our yard every year - can't be sure it's the same one, of course - but one of the birds stops by regularly to feed on whater she can find in our "lawn."

Sighted the bird yesterday Aug 10 for the first time - one of the subtle indications that the seasons DO change in Hawaii. Seems a couple of weeks early this year...maybe it's colder than usual in Alaska?
                  Last edited by Kimo; August 11, 2008, 07:04 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Re: Kolea sightings

I saw our first one of the season here last Friday morning!

Comment

Darn it! I have yet to spot any of mine. Kimo, chances are excellent that it is the same bird, as they like to come back to the same spot from year to year.

We also have a rather long-running "first kolea" thread here.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

...maybe mel should xfr and we can revive it for 08

Comment

Maybe, but Mel's not the moderator of this section: Helen is.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The only thing I can do is haul out my big lens and look for a bird to shoot!
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

i was going to post in the, "best part of today" thread about our first sighting this morning of our resident kolea.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              reflect, repent and reboot.
                              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                                The only thing I can do is haul out my big lens and look for a bird to shoot!
                                ...and post the result here, please!

Comment

Working...
                                X