New Establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Establishments

went to varsity tonight with eric and some friends. beer is the saving grace of that establishment, as is its atmosphere. the food, however? pizza hut by delivery, india cafe food that is a fraction as good as what you can have at india cafe itself, and bleh sushi. all the food was overpriced. we got four pieces of spicy tuna roll for almost four bucks. i said four pieces, not four rolls, mind you. that means four slices of sushi. almost four bucks. pizza was $20 + a pie and it seemed like if they didn't already have what you ordered in a warmer, they called pizza hut delivery and brought it to your table, still in the box. we ordered a pupu platter from the diner's side (as in diner's kalihi) which included an okay bit of steak, mostly soggy steak fries, meat jun that tasted more like bleh teri beef bathed in egg that didn't much cling to the meat like it should in a satisfactory meat jun. the worst part was the rock hard chicken katsu. rock hard, i kid you not. it made our homemade cursed chicken seem wonderfully edible. did i mention it was rock hard? i could have thrown it across the room and it would have acted exactly as you'd expect a hockey puck would. truly, i say this to you: rock hard. and not in any good way.

but the beer? heavenly in taste and price. pitchers could be had for as cheap as $6 to $14 i think. we had franceskanner, guiness (both alone and in black & tans), stella artois, and newcastle. we could have had black butte porter, dead man's ale, and any other of the 100 plus taps.

additionally, varsity has a lot of the same character ambiance-wise that made it as appealing to college students and older folk alike. great place to people watch, talk story, get blasted, then get sober and go home, with a belly and heart full of cameraderie that beer seems to inspire.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

SAFEWAY (KAPAHULU): SOFT OPENING DRAWS THE CROWDS

I'm so jazzed about this new Kapahulu Safeway, which the article states is now the LARGEST IN THE NATION. Just from the looks of the front from the outside it looks awesome. I can't wait to check it out! Yipee!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        SAFEWAY (KAPAHULU): SOFT OPENING DRAWS THE CROWDS

I'm so jazzed about this new Kapahulu Safeway, which the article states is now the LARGEST IN THE NATION.
        I'm tempted to check it out, too. But that's not my neighborhood, and the thought of traffic and parking is daunting. If I do go, will I be stuck in Kapahulu forever?

Comment

The wedding cafe is opening a new location in Ward Warehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            If I do go, will I be stuck in Kapahulu forever?
            Possibly. I made the mistake of driving up Kapahulu yesterday morning (did not realize the grand opening was happening) and had the opportunity to view the store at leisure from my vehicle.

Comment

safeway biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig.

we had drinks and pupu dinner with our friend "sam" at uncle bo's. on kapahulu we shared the thai-style wings, the new york steak, the manila clams--my absolute favorite treatment of clams on the island, which, according to our server, has 20-odd ingredients in it. besides chili and butter, there MUST be either fish sauce or a fish paste in there, and i promise that's the umph in the recipe. we also shared the spicy shrimp pasta dish which had enough shrimp for the three of us to have two or three.

a great meal shared with wonderful friends is always a lovely way to end a hard-worked week, but the noteworthy thing about last night was that after dinner, we visited the new monster safeway. and i kid you not when i say it's a monster. we live in kaimuki, so we passed the site often as it was being constructed, but viewing from off property somehow doesn't prepare you for the largeness of it.

when we made our left turn into the parking lot, it was already near 11 p.m. the street level lot was packed, and there were a number of white-shirted security officer and police helping guide traffic/ensure safety/peace (no protesters in sight tho when we went). we moved on to the second level parking, which looks rather like townhouse parking you'd see in makakilo (you'll understand when you go up there), and was about 3/4 full of cars. to get down, you can either take the stairs or ride the diamond head-side glass elevator down, which is a bit of a treat bcs as you go down, you get a view of the sushi bar and deli area. i'm not sure if there's another elevator at the other end of the building.

the elevator opens to the outside of the store, so you can get a cart. it was late, so there were only three people at the sushi bar and they were settling their bill. there's also a starbucks inside, but that wasn't open. the deli section is HUGE. the sheer variety of prepared foods shocked and awed. the usual safeway favorites were there, like watercress tofu salad, but there were some things i don't remember seeing at the makiki safeway i used to frequent, like the orzo salad or the berry salad. they had mortadella, capicolla as well as ham and turkey. cheese--ohmigawd. what cheese didn't they have? to put it in perspective, i think the size of their cheese section is as big as the wine section at costco iwilei. i don't think i've seen that same volume and number of variety of cheeses all in one place. the meat and seafood section is an expanse as well. what got us was the partially prepared meat section, which was covered since it was closed. but i lifted the sign they had covering the glass and gasped when i saw cornish game hens stuffed full with something that looked yummy. the bacon too...we need to go back just to get a closer look at all of that.

on to the fruit and veggies, and it becomes clear claims that the organic section is sizeable are true. the layout is inviting, partially because of islands of veggies/and fruit made to look more like a farmers' market versus a sterile grocery. there is also a nut bar where nuts are kept warm so that they maintain freshness better, and where people can grind their own peanut, almond, or cashew butter. it was clear that many had never fresh-ground their own nut butters because there was a bit of a crowd there. many were timid to try the machine out but curious enough to hang around in case someone else would do it first.

we didn't spend all that much time perusing the inner aisles, bcs we were more interested in the fresh stuff. i will say that it seemed this safeway had the biggest selection of ben & jerry's ice creams i've seen.

eric and i would keep the following in mind when grocery shopping:
              star: best fruit/veggies, small & more relatively expensive meat selection, good place to get organic/homeopathic products if don't wanna go huckleberry or down to earth or kokua
              times: good fruit/veggies, small & more relatively expensive meat selection
              safeway: good for canned stuff, bread, eggs, milk
              foodland: best meat, good fruit/veggies
              daiei, now DQ: most convenient stop for asian products, not so great meat and veggies.

i'm not sure the new safeway has changed our mindset, described above, very much. but we will add cheese (if we want something more exotic) and the prepared/deli stuff to our safeway list. foodland still has better quality of fruits and veggies as long as you compare apples to apples and not apples to organic apples or something like that. the quantity of meats at this safeway are much bigger--some trays costco-sized, but the quality still the same. i know safeway improved its meat in more recent years but not enough to make us completely switch over.

oh! almost forgot to mention that there are deals in the deli/seafood/meats area. we saw crab legs for $9.99 a pound--on special. they're normally twice that price. these prices might be for the opening, and i remember that there were similar low prices on certain items through the store. i forget how much one of the frozen pizzas were but it was a very low price and it had almost run out.

the other thing i noticed about this safeway--the people working were all smiley and joyful, like they were proud of their store and wanted to share it with you. if anything, that's the biggest selling point the kapahulu branch has. well, that and the soon-to-open seattle's best, i suppose.

getting out wasn't all that difficult, what with the newly installed light to help control flow. we'll keep you posted if we notice any more-than-usual backups on kapahulu.

i'll be curious to see if safeway will be willing to share its parking with its business neighbors of if in time, they'll go compusa on people who park but don't patronize it or its lot-mates.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Wow Cyn, that was a FANTASTIC review. Diggin' how you referenced DQ as Daiei.

The Hawaii Kai Safeway was the first location in Hawaii to get their "new look" renovation treatment, and based on ambiance alone, it's a wonderful shopping experience. But I hear you on the comparison of quality and prices in produce and meats (and everything else) vs. other local supermarkets.

Still, you made it sound very exciting, and I WILL get there either today or tomorrow.

I gotta' check out Uncle Bo's too (formerly Auntie Pastos second location). My girlfriend went and raved about it.

Mahalo once again for that awesome Safeway Kapahulu review!
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

you're welcome.

i should note that going to the kapahulu safeway seemed the thing to do for a lot of people, so if you want to shop for more than groceries *ahem*, going there while it's still novel might be a better option than, let's say, the W or rumors or pipeline or lotus bar on a weekend night.

just steer clear of the kraken releasors. *wrinkles nose*

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                    If I do go, will I be stuck in Kapahulu forever?
                    This is the first time I’ve ever quoted myself.

But after reading all the articles about Safeway Kapahulu, and especially after reading ericncyn’s excellent review, I decided, even though I had deep (very deep) reservations about traffic and parking, to go there. I had plans this afternoon to go to a park, and just relax and get in some serious reading, and since this Safeway was in the vicinity, I decided to try it and get something for lunch. Surprise! Traffic and parking was not a problem. I had not been aware there would be rooftop parking, which alleviated much of the parking problem. There was also an army of police and security personnel directing traffic. No problems.

And the Safeway ... impressive! The best feature of this Safeway is the deli. The “ready-to-go” foods, the cheese section (as ericncyn mentioned), the wine section (though I think it is still too expensive compared to other places), and bakery were impressive. This place seems a nice place to hang out ... have some lunch or snack or coffee or internet connection (there was a sign that said Wi-Fi was coming soon [don’t know if it’s free or not]). There are enough tables and chairs to define an area (or areas) as a food court (within a grocery store?).

There was also a giveaway ... IPods! While exploring the store, there was an announcement over the store-wide intercom that there was a winner of an IPod at register XXX. When I was leaving about half an hour later, there was an announcement that there was another IPod winner at register XXX. This happened when I was at a register to pay for my sandwich and loaf of French bread. The winner was behind me, at the next register. If I had chosen that register to stand in, I might have won an IPod!

I don’t know how may IPods they were planning to give away.

Comment

My girlfriend tried going to the Kapahulu Safeway about an hour ago. The parking lot was gridlocked and zero parking stalls available; even parallel stalls along Kapahulu Avenue were all taken.

Will have to try again at a non-peak time.
                      Last edited by Pomai; November 11, 2007, 12:49 PM.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

i'm surprised at that, pomai. yesterday, eric and i passed by at about noon and there was no more traffic on kapahulu than usual. this morning, i shopped there at between 10:00 - 10:30 am and there was parking galore on the roof level. ipicked up some salad from the salad bar as well as two bottles of safeway brand fruit-flavored diet sparkling water and also a venti non-fat latte w/sugar free cinnamon dolce syrup (a little caffeine treat). i wonder what the dealio was when you went.

Comment

Re: safeway biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig.

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                          we had drinks and pupu dinner with our friend "sam" at uncle bo's. on kapahulu we shared the thai-style wings, the new york steak,
                          My friends and I had the same two things when we went...I really dug the steak, prepared pupu-style.

the manila clams--my absolute favorite treatment of clams on the island, which, according to our server, has 20-odd ingredients in it.
                          It's Manila style. Every one of the ingredients in it was probably "odd," not just twenty of them.

Uncle Bo's was fun, but I doubt I'll make it a regular Kapahulu stop. I can't imagine ever cruising Kapahulu and choosing it over Irifune or Mr. Ojisan.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            It's Manila style. Every one of the ingredients in it was probably "odd," not just twenty of them.
                            *kicks scriv's shin* what a grand illustration of why they say puns are the lowest form of humor! *sticks tongue at scriv*

Uncle Bo's was fun, but I doubt I'll make it a regular Kapahulu stop. I can't imagine ever cruising Kapahulu and choosing it over Irifune or Mr. Ojisan.
                            ever try sunrise restaurant around the way from waiola? waioli? shave ice (sorry--i always get the shave ice place's name mixed up w/the tea house)? or are you too yellow-bellied to try nakami champuru?

Comment

or are you too yellow-bellied to try nakami champuru?
                              I haven't, but it's on the list. My friend and I are trying to hit every dining establishment on Kapahulu. I...don't like the idea of most champurus, to be honest. And although I make it a point to try things I don't like, exempt from that policy are things I'm morally opposed to, such as eating the guts and stomachs of other animals.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

ever try sunrise restaurant around the way from waiola? waioli? shave ice (sorry--i always get the shave ice place's name mixed up w/the tea house)? or are you too yellow-bellied to try nakami champuru?
                                I haven't, but it's on the list. My friend and I are trying to hit every dining establishment on Kapahulu. I...don't like the idea of most champurus, to be honest. And although I make it a point to try things I don't like, exempt from that policy are things I'm morally opposed to, such as eating the guts and stomachs of other animals.

i think the nakami champuru is the best of all of em.

Comment

Working...
                                X