• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less PC towers are being tossed

Over the last five years I have carefully tracked the number of

desktop computers being tossed out.

The rate has decreased recently because this type of equipment

is getting harder to find.

A recent trip to Fryes found a certain emptiness.

Carefully evaluate that so called junk before tossing it.

One may not be able to easily replace it.

Re: Less PC towers are being tossed

Where I work when PC towers came out most people would place such units on the floor instead on the top of desk which is where it supposed to be. It is after all called desktops and not floorbottoms. The most cited reason why the co-workers did this because there was not enough room on their desk for the desktop PC tower.

This became a problem at my work place because sometimes the keyboard, mouse and monitor cables barely reached and most importantly during the yearly waxing of the floor things needed to be disconnected and lifted from the floor and we would lose a PC a year due to failure of the unit when it got reconnected.

So when the Ultra Small Form Factor PC become available we started to get those, plus LCD monitors and sound bars for the monitors all in the name to use up less desk space than before.

Also another reason the Ultra Small Form Factor weighed less and trust me I would rather move a 6 to 8 pound unit than a 14 to 18 pound unit.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Where I work when PC towers came out most people would place such units on the floor instead on the top of desk which is where it supposed to be. It is after all called desktops and not floorbottoms. The most cited reason why the co-workers did this because there was not enough room on their desk for the desktop PC tower.
      That is where my PC tower resides, under my desk. Heck, my desk even came with a movable "platform" to put the tower onto under the desk. The desk manufacturers know that people don't want their work space taken up with a bulky box.

I'll probably not be buying another PC. After 20 years of using PCs, for my next computer I'll go for the largest screen laptop I can get.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I've switched to the Apple laptop mode. No long boot-up times, no weekly virus, superior performance.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
        X