The Marriott Waikiki Edition Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Marriott Waikiki Edition Saga

Any thoughts on the big business story of the summer? Early morning lock-changing raids, New York courtroom maneuvering, and taking the nuclear option (bankruptcy) to keep Marriott out... along with liquor license confusion, guest frustration, and a lot of bad press for our number one industry.

The press releases alone are amusing...
    Of course there's been a lot of local news coverage as well. Some great video and photos of the Marriott team waiting to get back in after the New York court ruling, for example. But since PBN and Star-Advertiser are both playing the paywall game, I've been hunting for open links to stories to send to friends to bring them up to speed. Here's a bit of a recap from USA Today:

Ch. 11 spoils Marriott's plan to take back Waikiki hotel - for now

Re: The Marriott Waikiki Edition Saga

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Any thoughts on the big business story of the summer? Early morning lock-changing raids, New York courtroom maneuvering, and taking the nuclear option (bankruptcy) to keep Marriott out... along with liquor license confusion, guest frustration, and a lot of bad press for our number one industry.
    I don't think this story really hurts the image of the visitor industry in general. If anything, this is mostly doing damage to the Marriott brand.

A prospective tourist reading these stories might be scared off from making any booking at the other Marriott properties like the Waikiki Beach Marriott resort or the Marriott Courtyard.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Throw a bag of popcorn in the microwave. This should be entertaining.

Seems like a rock and a hard place. The way I read it, the owners find the loss unacceptable, but Marriott says "we have a contract".

Marriott is right, but it would seem to me that an owner that can't afford the loss would have some rights to deal with the situation. That's not to say they're handing it properly.

Now, the situation around "The Shack" - sounds like something out of a Mafia movie.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        [...]
        Seems like a rock and a hard place. The way I read it, the owners find the loss unacceptable, but Marriott says "we have a contract".

Marriott is right, but it would seem to me that an owner that can't afford the loss would have some rights to deal with the situation. That's not to say they're handing it properly.
        [...]
        My daughter and I were talking about this situation a couple of days ago. Wouldn't the attorneys for the owners have made sure there was a clause in the contract with Marriott, dealing with this possibility...a non-performance clause or whatever it might be called? It seemed to us that there must've been one heckuva lot of "back 'n forth" going on between the owners and Marriott prior to last week's extreme take back.

Comment

I'm fairly close to the situation and I'd say that this has been brewing for a long time. The owners invest close to 500 mil on the property and the renovations. For it to be bleeding and underperforming to the extent it was means some kind of action had to be taken.

Not saying anything was justified but it's tough to comment and pass judgement when the full story won't be in the papers. Maybe when things go to court in NY.

Comment

I stayed at the property last month - I can see why they're not making a profit. I'm not likely to visit again unless they have a major makeover. It's possible that some visitors like the 'no boxspring' beds - I certainly didn't. Nor did I appreciate that room-service had to be called to get ice [delivered only]. I prefer getting my own ice and lots of it - enough to bathe in, when necessary.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
            X