Laptop down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop down!

Yep, didn't even get a year out my new HP laptop. It's dead dead.
    Best Buy geek say's per my description of a black screen and no life at all sounds like a mother-board issue and probably very expensive to fix.

Soooo..., do I bother paying the $85 for a further diagnosis and maybe fix it, just save that $85 and chump for a new computer, write HP and see if they have the mercy to give me a replacement like a friend actually had luck in doing, or?

Can I get the info/pix I stored in my dead LT and put it all in a new one?
    Should I be leary of another similar HP product?
    Is fingerprint auto-ID worthwhile?
    Is blueray already passe' and not worth getting?
    Did I blow it by not having a backup disc?
    Did running on only 1/4 memory power cause this?
    Do laptops come with HD for laptop/videos? I was really disappointed with the visual quality when I played Hendrix At Monterey on my now defunct DV7Z, which looked awesome at a friends home with a big HD screen.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Laptop down!

According to Consumer Reports buying guide - HP was not one of the highly recommended laptops. if you've had it less than a year, maybe there is still some warranty left on it?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Should I be leary of another similar HP product?
      That's hard to say. Any company in a given time period would make a product that is good. That same company in either a later or earlier time period would make another product that is bad.

Is fingerprint auto-ID worthwhile?
      I don't know, I was about to make a comment about if that laptop had information on it that you and only you need to access to it then perhaps so but if anyone really wanted to that information badly enough they could remove the hard drive from the laptop and place it someplace else.

Did I blow it by not having a backup disc?
      Did running on only 1/4 memory power cause this?
      No to both of these questions. Doing frequent backups does not prevent a disaster from happening. What a timely (and hopefully well thought out backup/recovery plan) backup does is to allow you to recover your information after the disaster has happened, either on the same device that has been fixed or on the new device that has replaced the old device.

As far as your laptop being at 1/4 of it's maxmium memory allocation, it might have made for a slower performing computer but not for a computer to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        According to Consumer Reports buying guide - HP was not one of the highly recommended laptops. if you've had it less than a year, maybe there is still some warranty left on it?
        This HP model series seemed to be the exception from all my homework. Everything that got slammed was improved greatly.
        I got it 'new' off ebay, so chances are slim to none for the warranty as I'm not the original buyer.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

i vaguely recall reading some article about 5 months ago that said that HP was the brand with the highest failure rate; part of the reason i remember that is cuz my wife was looking for a new laptop and so i avoided even considering an HP brand (a bunch of them at costco).

i'm sorry to hear about your troubles; hope you'll find a new one that'll last a long, long time.
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            Really.

Had my HP for over a year now.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

eBay sellers of new and refurbished items often carry manufacturer's warranty - but they usually state that fact in the listing.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

**chimes in**

HP sucks. Bad bearings on the CPU fan. I've seen at least two HP/Compaq laptops come in with bad CPU fans. The bearings in these fans get contaminated and begin to drag in the bearing races. This causes the fan itself to slow down and not provide enough cooling to the very hot CPU chip. Eventually the CPU fries a slow heat-related death. Symptoms leading up to CPU failure is sluggish response time leading to freezing up during hard graphics intensive applications and finally no-boot up.

This slow death can cause an HP laptop to fail in due time. How long? Not surprizingly, just over a year.

My suggestion for any laptop purchase? Buy the extended warranty plan. I've seen a rash of laptops fail just outside the manufacturer's warranty for various reasons and an extended warranty would have put a defective CPU fan under warranty.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X