Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diamond Head Crater Festivals

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    (...) a Coachella-like event has more than 130 acts in total, with 5 different concerts simultaneously going on at any given time. (...) And if you're watching a certain show and you're just not getting into it, you can always leave and head off to another stage. That's the beauty and attraction of Coachella.
    Ditto for the New Orleans Jazz Fest, which had a wide range of musical genres and 10 or 12 stages (and misters that sprayed the crowd and kept us cool). However, none of those other events are in enclosed spaces like Diamond Head crater. Multiple stages inside the crater would be an acoustic nightmare.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Ditto for the New Orleans Jazz Fest, which had a wide range of musical genres and 10 or 12 stages (and misters that sprayed the crowd and kept us cool). However, none of those other events are in enclosed spaces like Diamond Head crater. Multiple stages inside the crater would be an acoustic nightmare.
      If all the stages were outdoor, it would be a nightmare, absolutely.

I think Coachella has an outdoor stage, but the others are tented.

And if there's still bleed-through even with the use of tents, I think it can be tamed to a tolerable level with some careful thought and planning when it comes to scheduling. For instance, have the relatively quiet bands perform at the same time, then later on have the heavier-sounding bands go on simultaneously. That way, you don't have one concert overpowering another.

BTW, bleed-through is a complaint at all the multi-stage events. You name it. Lalapalooza, Coachella, Austin City Limits. The sheer diversity of music that these festivals offer do come at the expense of less-than-perfect acoustics.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I think Coachella has an outdoor stage, but the others are tented.
        Tents with just roofs, or tents with full side walls? Major difference.
        All previous events inside Diamond Head had major problems with attendees suffering from heat prostration. If you put those attendees in enclosed tents, it would be far far worse.
        Even if they use wall-less tents, heat would be trapped and cause health problems.

And if there's still bleed-through even with the use of tents, I think it can be tamed to a tolerable level with some careful thought and planning when it comes to scheduling. For instance, have the relatively quiet bands perform at the same time, then later on have the heavier-sounding bands go on simultaneously. That way, you don't have one concert overpowering another.
        Perhaps not with the "relatively quiet bands," but with the louder bands you clearly would have a conflict.

BTW, bleed-through is a complaint at all the multi-stage events. You name it. Lalapalooza, Coachella, Austin City Limits. The sheer diversity of music that these festivals offer do come at the expense of less-than-perfect acoustics.
        But again, those festivals are held on immensely large properties. In New Orleans, the Jazz Fest was held outside a huge horse race track (the facility had burned up in a major fire earlier). The grounds for Jazz Fest were dozens of acres. Stages were set up around the outer perimeter, well apart from each other and facing outward, directing the sound away from other stages, which were far apart in any case. There were tons of food vendors in the middle of all this. [/drooling for more conch fritters and daquiris!]
        In the various ho`olaulea festivals on the streets here, the stages are usally two blocks apart from each other.
        Besides the heat problems with using tents inside Diamond Head, you can't aim the stages outward without the sound just bouncing back off the walls of the crater, unlike the other non-walled locations we're discussing.
        BTW, I used to produce benefit concerts and outdoor music festivals for charities back in the day, so I've got a wee bit of experience in this topic.

Comment

Tents with just roofs, or tents with full side walls? Major difference.
          All previous events inside Diamond Head had major problems with attendees suffering from heat prostration. If you put those attendees in enclosed tents, it would be far far worse.
          Even if they use wall-less tents, heat would be trapped and cause health problems.
          Coachella has also had to deal with some people suffering from heat exhaustion. It happens.

Perhaps not with the "relatively quiet bands," but with the louder bands you clearly would have a conflict.
          Yeah, well, if you can think of any other way to have access to live performances of 30 bands in 3 days for $300 or less where there's perfect acoustic seperation, you name it for me.

Besides the heat problems with using tents inside Diamond Head, you can't aim the stages outward without the sound just bouncing back off the walls of the crater, unlike the other non-walled locations we're discussing.
          BTW, I used to produce benefit concerts and outdoor music festivals for charities back in the day, so I've got a wee bit of experience in this topic.
          If it can't be done, it can't be done. I just thought it can't hurt to brainstorm and try to be creative here, rather than be the naysaying type like the uptight folks at the Diamond Head/Kapahulu neighborhood board.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Yeah, well, if you can think of any other way to have access to live performances of 30 bands in 3 days for $300 or less where there's perfect acoustic seperation, you name it for me.
            No place on planet earth can provide "perfect" acoustic separation for multiple stages. And if I'm paying $300, I demand damned good acoustics. Ergo, I'm not a fan of the multiple-stage concept, period.

If it can't be done, it can't be done. I just thought it can't hurt to brainstorm and try to be creative here
            Well, it can't be done inside Diamond Head crater. That much is perfectly clear.
            Find some other space with dozens of acres and no natural or man-made walls. Kualoa Ranch comes to mind. Yes, it has the Koolau mountains on one side (three sides, in the case of Kaaawa Valley), but Kualoa Ranch has hundreds of acres where stages can be spaced very far apart.
            Or maybe out in the old pineapple fields.
            Dunno. And don't really care that much.

Comment

Kualoa Ranch comes to mind. Yes, it has the Koolau mountains on one side (three sides, in the case of Kaaawa Valley), but Kualoa Ranch has hundreds of acres where stages can be spaced very far apart.
              The one front area they usually have shows is really the onle sensible place they have, as the critters from that area have to be moved far away to other areas due to stress and such, and that removes the rest of the acreage as possible which is not really acceptable for these events anyway.

I'll always remember being at the front for the first Mele (STP & Tool), and a 3 hr. Santana show years later.

There is plenty of open space out Waialua towards Mokuleia/Campbell estate. Nobody to bother and perfect weather all the time.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                The one front area they usually have shows is really the onle sensible place they have, as the critters from that area have to be moved far away to other areas due to stress and such, and that removes the rest of the acreage as possible which is not really acceptable for these events anyway.

I'll always remember being at the front for the first Mele (STP & Tool), and a 3 hr. Santana show years later.

There is plenty of open space out Waialua towards Mokuleia/Campbell estate. Nobody to bother and perfect weather all the time.
                That Santana show was most most most Awesome!!!!! I still have my Santana bandanas for donating food to the Foodbank at that show

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                  That Santana show was most most most Awesome!!!!! I still have my Santana bandanas for donating food to the Foodbank at that show
                  Cool! A friend and I walked over to the show and then he got girlie eyed and wouldn't cough up some pot so I ditched him and snuck into the show at the backwoods area, managing to avoid the Kualoa Mounted Patrol, and found a great shaded and comfy nook to recline in just prior to the shows start with only the wish of a doob to make it perfs. But the regional Gods were happy with me, for as I kicked the one rock in my way aside, it revealed three large and most perfect shrooms! The rest was history!
                  The music swirled and washed over the area, the weather couldn't have been better, and not a single bug even bothered me. What a perfect day, and Santana was indeed awesome.

Comment

No place on planet earth can provide "perfect" acoustic separation for multiple stages. And if I'm paying $300, I demand damned good acoustics. Ergo, I'm not a fan of the multiple-stage concept, period.
                    Well then, with all due respect to whatever past experience you may have in producing shows, the fact that Coachella grossed more than $20 million makes it quite apparent that not everyone (particularly the generation X and Y demographics) shares your viewpoint and expectations.

This article talk about the economic benefits that Indio locals have reaped as a direct result of the festival.

Comment

Aloha Y'all !

Found this thread/forum through googling 'Crater Festival' after a conversation with friends. Really enjoying reading others' memories of the Fests. I was there in '74 and '75. While living da kine life in Hana, a group of us made the trip over supplied with plenty honey soaked you-knows to share. I seem to recall Santana, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Fleetwood Mac, who 'introduced this new young singer' Stevie Nicks, all performing the most incredible music. Please post your thoughts on who else performed !!! Oh, to be 18/19 years old in the greatest era of Expression, Love, Music and a genuine feelin that everyone truly believed that together we could make this a better world ! Ohana, Fo Sure!

Tho I am living many miles away, I carry the Spirit of Aloha deep within my heart and soul, and I share with everyone every chance I get. Return visits are never often enough, but the countdown to retirement and coming HOME for good has begun........

Aloha E
                      Michelle
                      Michelle

Comment

Got an email last month I thought I'd post in case it jogs anyone's memory:
                        I just left a note on Wikipedia about its posting for 1972's "Sunshine Fest" of which was recorded live, now I have to ask, was Carlos & Buddy the only ones there?, or just the top billing, and therefore the live LP that soon followed. I posted a note at Wikipedia for the album pictured is the same as one I have except mine doesn't have 'Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live' in red letters at top of album cover. Was it 're-released'? I'd think if it were, more of the acts that were there s/b on newly released LP...just a thought. Aloha brah!!

Comment

the first crater celebration i went to, Santana performed but he wasn't announced - it was a surprise. no announcement - all of a sudden, he was just on stage & playing. and I think it was 71 or 72.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I gotta dig for the info/track/band, but I just stumbled upon some live stuff from that show by a unknown band to me, and it was pretty good to boot. So there was at least one other group, and weren't they all multi-act gigs from the start?

Comment

I was a Security volunteer in 1975 and 76. Walked up from Waikiki and back down each day. Not bad, I think for a haole Sailor.

Gods, I miss it!!!
                              Last edited by Shop99er; August 21, 2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X