X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HMSA Rates Going Up Again

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
    I work for the state, but not DOE.

Salary remaining status quo? Salaries go up? Not in my workplace. Doesn't the furlough (8% decrease in salary) affect DOE as well? The double whammy of the furlough and increase in premiums has taken a toll in my paycheck.
    Yes, I was basing things on the July paycheck I had handy which was before the 8% decrease in salary since I don't know what the current figures are for the insurance premiums.

As for the "salaries go up" comment I was hypothetically referring to past contracts that did allow for salary increases which obviously is a thing of the past given current situations now.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      KalihiBoy - if you're paying $200 per month thru your payroll, that means your policy probably costs your employer $2000 per month. If I recall from my HR days - they are only allowed to withhold 1% of the total premium from your paycheck. Of course, that may have increased by now. One way to save on insurance is to have the HMO type policy as opposed to the Preferred Provider option. There is a major difference in costs between the 2 kinds of coverage.
      I'm curious-How can you find out what your employer is paying out compared to what you as the employee is paying? Another thing I might add is we've gone from no kids to 3 kids in the past 7 years, I'm thankful the family plan seems to be a flat rate so to speak and we don't seem to be penalized for having more keiki!!

Aj

Comment

Also what I was referring to in an earlier post is during one of the contracts that was ratified, it could have been the one as far back as 2001 after the 3 week strike, there were salary increases of a % "X" amount, but I don't recall the exact figures. What was dirty pool is the insurance premiums increased so the salary increases didn't amount to much. Make sense?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          I'm curious-How can you find out what your employer is paying out compared to what you as the employee is paying?
          There is a handout detailing employee-employer portions, plus all the different options to choose from. Your wife probably has a copy.
          Another thing I might add is we've gone from no kids to 3 kids in the past 7 years, I'm thankful the family plan seems to be a flat rate so to speak and we don't seem to be penalized for having more keiki!!
          That's funny to hear. My coworker was complaining that she has only one child, and has to pay the same rate as those with more. In any case, I don't know how you parents manage anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
            The double whammy of the furlough and increase in premiums has taken a toll in my paycheck.
            Actually, my error... new premium deductions take effect January 2010. But, my paycheck is already smaller with the 8% decrease in salary... can't imagine how it will look next year. I am happy to be employed, tho. No doubt about that.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              KalihiBoy - if you're paying $200 per month thru your payroll, that means your policy probably costs your employer $2000 per month. If I recall from my HR days - they are only allowed to withhold 1% of the total premium from your paycheck. Of course, that may have increased by now. I haven't done that type of payroll work for a few years now. The balance of the premium is then covered by the employer. I'm very blessed because my current employer pays the entire cost each month. It's very generous of them and truly is appreciated. Otherwise, I would be one of the large number on uninsured!

One way to save on insurance is to have the HMO type policy as opposed to the Preferred Provider option. There is a major difference in costs between the 2 kinds of coverage.
              I guess I was more tired today than I thought. Please ignore my faulty math re: your premium. I do know that there is a max premium reimbursement that employers are allowed to hold out of your paycheck. However, at this point I don't know what that percentage might be. and that limit is for private employers. I don't think it would apply to state/doe employees since your pay is set by union contracts.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hey, it's not that surprising, considering the insurance companies have to pay for all these bogus flu vaccines.

Comment

Starting this month rates going from $163 to $363 per paycheck, that means $400 less a month. Not happy. What happened to small rate increases over a 5 year period?

Comment

folks listen carefully.

single coverage. employers can only pass on 1.5% of gross to employee. Pretty much employers need to pay for almost all of the cost. Decent rate is $300 per month for single.

single +1 coverage. employer only needs to pay for amount of single coverage -1.5%. The difference is paid by employee. $600 would be a good rate.

family plan. employer only need to pay amount of single coverage -1.5%. The difference is paid by the employee. $900 is probably a good rate. That $1100/month isn't outrageous at all.

Please don't respond with stories about what your company pays. Your company can pay 100% of the family medical coverage if they want to. That isn't mandated by law.

come next year, medical benefits will be on w2's. some time in the years following, medical benefits will be taxable... THANKS A LOT OBAMA. I love this guy http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/he.../18health.html
                    Last edited by 808shooter; July 20, 2010, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Our "company" happens to be the state plan offered to us by HSTA. It's one thing to add a pay increase to offset the rise in insurance cost, but that isn't the case here at all. Imagine getting a $400 decrease a month with furloughs intact too, is that happening to state workers not with HSTA?

Comment

Here is another thought and not sure if its ever been discussed if so, forgive me. I know with certain insurance companies like state farm if you drive with no accidents or tickets for a year, you get a reduction in your rate, could health insurance companies give reductions to award people who have been healthy for say a full year?

Comment

[...]I know with certain insurance companies like state farm if you drive with no accidents or tickets for a year, you get a reduction in your rate[...]
                          Along the similar lines...my car ins. co., Allstate, gives a reduction in the deductible each year of safe driving. I upped my ded. to $1000. 2 years ago as a cost saving measure. Now my ded. is $800. even tho' I'm still paying less for the larger, $1000., premium. Of course, this is a savings for me while costing the ins. co. only if an accident occurs. Possibly health ins. companies could reduce their deductibles based on certain criteria...like preventive care!

Comment

Still cracks me up, that they're a non-profit.

>.<
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Here is another thought and not sure if its ever been discussed if so, forgive me. I know with certain insurance companies like state farm if you drive with no accidents or tickets for a year, you get a reduction in your rate, could health insurance companies give reductions to award people who have been healthy for say a full year?
                              good question. maybe when hawaii's ppd health statute dies when obamacare is a reality, medical plans will underwrite individuals. right now employers own the health plans and are underwritten on a group level.

you could be a health young male, total non-ulitizer and be stuck in a company with a bunch of young women - high ulitizers. guess that is one trade off for being surrounded by young women.

Comment

If you institute that, then it will have the effect of penalizing people who do get sick. It's one thing to assess a higher charge on accident-prone motorists. It's quite another to be assessing higher charges on people who have health problems through no fault of their own. And do keep in mind,.... people tend to need more health care and medication as they get older. Do you really think it's a good idea to have older people (many of whom may be retired and on a fixed income) shoulder an increasingly heavier load on health insurance premiums as they get sicker and sicker?

I don't think that system will work.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X