Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 9th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Kumu

Default Re: Pizza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutChaos
Um, is there anyone who DISLIKES Boston's Pizza? I don't like the stuff at all...it gets cold quickly and tastes HORRIBLE if it's not completely fresh. I like my pizza with more leftover staying power...

My late beloved preferred Pizza Hut (and others) to Boston's, which in his opinion, didn't have "enough stuff" on 'em.

I on the other hand, really like the thin crust and amount of ingredients. My favorite pizza at Boston's is the white spino-and-gahlic (no tomato sauce, just wonderful Pecorino Romano cheese). One time I went, they had a white spinach and garlic pizza with artichokes on it. Delicious! An experiment, perhaps, as I've not seen it since the one time.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever met a pizza purveyor I didn't like ... and I can't. I pretty much love them all.

I REALLY hate pineapple on pizza, but I'm a person who doesn't want sweet with my savory. I love anchovies in caesar salad, but I don't think I've ever had 'em on pizza. I certainly wouldn't want the little buggers LOOKING at me, so they'd have to be anchovy filets, were I to be willing to try 'em.

Last edited by Erika Engle; July 9th, 2006 at 07:23 PM. Reason: repetitive redundancy reduction and elimination = )
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Ali`i

I have to say Boston's isn't the best pizza I've ever had, but it's as close as one can get to a flat oily east-coast pizza as you can here. I don't think they put enough salt or enough cheese on them. But then again, if they did, I'd be pouring water down my throat all night to balance the sodium levels in my body.

The fact that their pizza is so nice and thin and oily redeems Boston's North End Pizza for me. I do not like Pizza Hut, and although it's a bargain, Costco ain't that great either. But the price is right!

Kid Two loves white pizza, and we just got back from NJ where she had her fill of it. That kid's favorite line is "hold the sauce!"
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Ali`i

The best pizza I ever had here was in a little pizza place in Waikiki, 1960's - I think it was in the Biltmore Hotel. They used to make me a thin crust, crab & green onion pizza that was delicious! Next on my list was a place in Oakland called Bella Napoli (early 1960's) and the best ever was a place called Chuck's Pizza in Des Moines Iowa (my home town). That one is still open - my high school class is having a reunion there next month. It was real Sicillian style pizza and also served these sandwiches called "Guinea Grinders" which were hot italian sausage made into patties, & served on grilled buns with onions & cheese. Hey, That was the name on the menu - didn't come from me. I still make one for myself occasionally at home.
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Kia`aina

I make the only good pizza in Hilo.
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Banned

any anchovie lovers?
Quote:
MADRID, Spain - Millions of anchovies — a protected species in Europe — have died in northern Spain after an unexplained mass beaching, officials said Friday....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060930/...ched_anchovies
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
...plays music when hot and comes apart into special shapes that you can snap together to build a robot, you know? Just give me a pizza and a small tub of garlic butter, and I'm happy.
Actually, I'd like to see that!

I like Papa Johns for delivery, Pizza Hut for dine in, nothing like that hot Pan pizza with all the meat on it.

There was a nice place my friend introduced me to, it was by Che Michelle or something at the edge of waikiki. The guy was from Italy and didnt drown the pizza in red sauce and had toppings like provolone, artichoke hearts, prociutto (sp). Too bad he closed it down, it was tasty!
Magoos, I usually get a ham and cheese sub. Theyre burgers are pretty tasty too. Do they still have the sushi bar, or did that go away?
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Kia`aina

Of the currently available options in Ewa Beach I'm partial to Bostons (extra cheese, pepperoni, & mushroom). The one time I tried Antonios in Kahala was good (spicy sauce!). Of the "brand name" places I'll vouch for Round Table. And when I'm back in Chicago I have to go to Italian Village on Pulaski for an unreal stuffed pizza.

But...

...a moment of silence for the late great Mama Mia's in Pucks Alley.

Rat droppings* , drug dealers* , and flakey delivery drivers, but whew...I liked that pizza.

*allegedly, as reported in the newspaper
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Engle
My late beloved preferred Pizza Hut (and others) to Boston's, which in his opinion, didn't have "enough stuff" on 'em.

I on the other hand, really like the thin crust and amount of ingredients. My favorite pizza at Boston's is the white spino-and-gahlic (no tomato sauce, just wonderful Pecorino Romano cheese). One time I went, they had a white spinach and garlic pizza with artichokes on it. Delicious! An experiment, perhaps, as I've not seen it since the one time.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever met a pizza purveyor I didn't like ... and I can't. I pretty much love them all.

I REALLY hate pineapple on pizza, but I'm a person who doesn't want sweet with my savory. I love anchovies in caesar salad, but I don't think I've ever had 'em on pizza. I certainly wouldn't want the little buggers LOOKING at me, so they'd have to be anchovy filets, were I to be willing to try 'em.

Wow that's exactly how I love my pizza's thin crust with spinich. My favorite is spinich, sausage and onion on a thin crust no tomato sauce.
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
Magoos, I usually get a ham and cheese sub. Theyre burgers are pretty tasty too. Do they still have the sushi bar, or did that go away?

They still have the sushi.
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Ali`i

Default Big Kahuna's Pizza is moving

Well, it's not like there was no warning. After suffering through years of road work, Big Kahuna's Pizza is finally leaving its Puʻuloa Road location. They're relocating to the Airport Trade Center at 550 Paiʻea Street -- that's the place where the airport Starbucks / Jamba Juice is. No word on the exact move date yet.

(Honolulu Advertiser)
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Ali`i

My all-time favorite was from CHICO'S (where the Kaimuki City Mill is now located) called the HOMETOWNER: Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, slices of fresh tomato. These days, I'll order a take-out "Hawaiian pizza" (pineapple, ham) and top it off with my own tomatoes.

I also like vegetarian (green pepper, onion, mushroom, garlic, olive). I don't like pepperoni, but enjoy Italian sausage.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Kanaka

eh, thanks for the heads up on big kahuna's move...i don't go as often as i like, but i'd have been so disappointed if i showed up and it was gone and didn't know where it went.

i can't stand the chain pizzas. boston's is ok. but my latest favorite is in kailua--mama's island pizza next to foodland and also, we just went to amina's (sp?) across from the jamba/starbucks in kailua on sunday b/c the line at teddy's was too long and it was pretty darned good. reminds me of the pizza at rosarina's down in chinatown, but a little better. been meaning to try antonios in kahala...

also, wish there were more places that sold pizza by the slice. any out there besides costco and boston's?
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Kia`aina

I never used to be a thin crust pizza fan until I tried Antonio's in Kahala. They have a great lunch special....personal size pizza (actually about 8 or 9"), salad and drink for $5.99. I love mine with fresh spinach and tomatoes and my daughter likes the Pepperoni.
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Ali`i

Isn't Mama's Pizza run by Ken Wilson, voice of the UH Rainbows in the mid-'70s, major league play-by-play announcer, and now with KHON-2? I'm going to try them when I'm on the windward side.
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Kumu

While I was back home I rememba loving MAGOOS when they used to be in the Waimalu Shopping Plaza. Da pizza den aaaaaaw broke da mouth for me.
And my mom always dialed up for PIZZA HUT!

Now here I am in the Bay Area gotta mention some places that are pretty good with their pizzas here.

BLONDIES which I dunno if its still there cuz I haven't gone there in awhile is in San Francisco on Powell Street where the Cable Car Lines Begins. Very popular with the crowds whenever I am there. They also have another location in Downtown Berkeley.

PIZZA MY HEART is good too also. They are pretty much everyewhere in the Bay Area

AMICIS

awww mannn theres other places I have been too also
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
Isn't Mama's Pizza run by Ken Wilson, voice of the UH Rainbows in the mid-'70s, major league play-by-play announcer, and now with KHON-2? I'm going to try them when I'm on the windward side.
Yep, opened in Dec. 2005 by that very same Ken Wilson. Mama, BTW, is Ken's wife Marlene. They're real proud of their chicken wings, too, FYI.
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
My all-time favorite was from CHICO'S (where the Kaimuki City Mill is now located) called the HOMETOWNER: Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, slices of fresh tomato. These days, I'll order a take-out "Hawaiian pizza" (pineapple, ham) and top it off with my own tomatoes.

I also like vegetarian (green pepper, onion, mushroom, garlic, olive). I don't like pepperoni, but enjoy Italian sausage.
OMIGOSH! I used to love Chico's ... not that it would meet my pizza standards today, but when I was going to UH and living in a dorm ... they delivered AND took checks -- two very important considerations for me at the time.

I remember going there too, at least once ... crispy crust, ooey gooey cheese melted off the edges until it too, got crispy. I DO remember liking their tomato sauce, as it was rich and mellow-tasting, IIRC.
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Ali`i

In related news today...

$1,000 pizza pie? That's amorč!
Quote:
A New York restaurateur has cooked up the world's most extravagant pizza - a $1,000 pie topped with six kinds of caviar and fresh lobster.
I hope the delivery driver arrives in a Bugatti.

I'm not one for "gourmet pizza", but I tried the Smoked Salmon and Caviar special from Wolfgang Puck Express once. The crust is baked first, then spread with softened cream cheese, then completely covered with thin slices of smoked salmon and garnished with caviar, capers and basil and EV olive oil. Very simple yet so ono! Reasonable too.. only $12 for the personal pie (it's a take-out, which explains that).

There's also the World's Most Expensive Sundae called the Golden Opulence from Serendipity of New York.
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Ali`i

Being Italian, I just can't bring myself to buy Pizza from a guy named Wolfgang.
Nevermind the fact that he charges an arm and a leg for it. Him and his "California Pizza" - all the toppongs....what a load of hooey.

REAL, good pizza needs no toppings. Just the sauce and the cheeze. All that other stuff is a distraction to keep you from noticing that the crust and sauce are substandard. We have lots of that here in LA....and overpriced to boot. As a result, I eat alot less Pizza than I used to back on Long Island.

Pizza, was something you could always grab quick on the run...
Here it's a big sitdown thing, where they serve it to you like it's a big deal...It's friggin PIZZA....

Go to NY, or Chicago (Deep Dish!!!) and have Pizza there, from some mom and pop place named "Anthony's" or "Vinnies" Pizza, where they sell it by the slice from an 20-24" pie, and it's $1.50 a slice. I guarantee, you'll never buy Pizza from "Wolfgang" again.

And that guy from NY should be ashamed of himself...putting caviar on PIZZA.

Sorry, rant over.
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
I just can't bring myself to buy Pizza from a guy named Wolfgang.
...or "puck." My dental expenses are high enough at present, thank you.
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
...or "puck." My dental expenses are high enough at present, thank you.
puck puck puck...er...I mean...yuk yuk yuk
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
Go to NY, or Chicago (Deep Dish!!!) and have Pizza there, from some mom and pop place named "Anthony's" or "Vinnies" Pizza, where they sell it by the slice from an 20-24" pie, and it's $1.50 a slice.

Having performed in both cities last year, I got the opportunity to try their famous pizzas. And while the Chicago deep-dish style was good, nothing beats New York pizza. The only problem was finding a place that sold pizza in New York City... they're kind of scarce. </sarcasm>

I think the key to "New York style" is the attitude. You can get The Big New Yorker from Pizza Hut in Honolulu, but it's somehow not the same.

Here's what I mean. While watching a Jets game in New York (okay the stadium is technically in New Jersey, but whatever), I had to use the bathroom. So I found a fat cop standing against a wall near the concession stand. I asked, "Hey do you know where bathroom is?"

Without even looking at me, he said in his heavy Brooklyn accent, "Who knows."

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. When God takes away your ability to be nice to strangers who have to pee, He makes up for it by giving you the ability to make awesome pizza.

Chicagoans, you might want to start being a-holes to your tourists.

I used to love Mama Mia's cheese pizza with a side of ranch dressing. Mmmm. A hefty waitress turned me on to that. Always trust a big lady on food advice. She almost demanded that I try it.
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via Yahoo to blueyecicle

There is a place in Oregon, actually a few...called Papa's Pizza Parlor.
So far the only pizza I have liked better has been in Chicago.
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Ali`i

When in Chicago, find Pizzaria Uno and (across the street) Pizzaria Due. NOT the national chain, but the original place from where the chain first started.

Best deep-dish I've ever had. New York style is a thinner crust, which is what I prefer.

But when I got separated from a school tour-group in Boston in 1976, and ended up wandering the Little Italy neighborhood - well, you can imagine how good the slices from a little corner pizzaria were.
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
When in Chicago, find Pizzaria Uno and (across the street) Pizzaria Due. NOT the national chain, but the original place from where the chain first started.

Best deep-dish I've ever had. New York style is a thinner crust, which is what I prefer.

But when I got separated from a school tour-group in Boston in 1976, and ended up wandering the Little Italy neighborhood - well, you can imagine how good the slices from a little corner pizzaria were.
when I was in Chicago, I made it a point to eat at Pizzaria Duo...A M A Z I N G !!!!

Definitely worth looking for.