X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shake and Quake!

There was 3.9 aftershock at 5:27AM 27 miles north of Kailua-Kona (Where
    the second quake happened). My mom woke me out of a dead sleep to instruct
    me what to do if we have another earthquake.

http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/Quakes/hv00021179.html
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

I wonder why none of the TV reports say the duration of the quake? Do you think the experts really know? It's the duration of an quake that does the damage.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        One of the ways to protect the land is to concentrate development and increase densities, while mixing uses to accomodate a mix of dwellings, businesses, retail, and public use space.
        I don't want to keep pushing the thread off-topic, so I'll just say I'm totally with you there (not just for poor people, but for everyone). Oddly enough me and the whole super-liberal county of Multnomah apparently. UGB and mixed-use walkable neighborhoods are all the rage here, downtown's the expensive place to live, and it's a 25 minute drive out of a million+ metro area to be in total wilderness.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
          I wonder why none of the TV reports say the duration of the quake? Do you think the experts really know? It's the duration of an quake that does the damage.
          Well, there was more than one quake, and I've heard varying reports as to the length of each. But the Star-Bulletin had a wrap-around Page A-1 with a big seismograph scribble and a huge headline that simply read: "15 SECONDS" The USGS entry for the 6.7 quake doesn't seem to indicate a duration.
          Originally posted by Konaguy
          There was 3.9 aftershock at 5:27AM 27 miles north of Kailua-Kona
          Here's the page for your aftershock. Here's the Big Island quake map centered on the Waikoloa area. A very busy week, as evidenced by all the squares, and the red squares indicate shakes in the past hour (so for a little while longer, your aftershock is colored red).

Last edited by pzarquon; October 17, 2006, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Speaking of emergency stuff and Costco, they also have those handcrank LED flashlights atm (in Mililani anyway) that also have a radio with an antenna (which works well), a siren thingy, strobe light and uh I think that's it. $24 iirc for 2. Not to mention that big bucket of rehydratable food for like $110 or something.

I really wanna try an MRE tho. Just once. When they had them at Foodland, I really wanted one, but I couldn't decide on a "flavor."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              . Here's the Big Island quake map centered on the Waikoloa area. A very busy week, as evidenced by all the squares, and the red squares indicate shakes in the past hour (so for a little while longer, your aftershock is colored red).

Actually this aftershock was in the ocean fronting Puako (link). It was in the general vicinity or the second 6.0 earthquake up by Mahukona. Looks like we are in for some more trembler's.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

The radio this morning said that there was another EARTHQUAKE TODAY off of the big island that registered.

Did anyone on Oahu feel this one today TUESDAY?

Comment

We just had another aftershock, a 3.6 southwest of Waikoloa (link)
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I went to Star Market in Mililani last night. It was amusing. Cold cuts, bread, bottled water, and charcoal areas were empty. I guess Star didn't have inventory to restock those areas. I also saw that a lot of fruit and veggies were being thrown away due to spoilage.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Interesting that the eipcenters of these earthquakes are on the west side of the Big Island. Kind of wondering if the Big Island is moving westward to make room for that new island underwater on the east side.

Comment

Just a quick off-topic message agreeing with TimKona's sentiment about "mixed use" zoning and higher-density planning in urban areas. I don't think he's talking about ghettos, Dick. I think he's talking about planned communities where cars are less necessary (because of the mixed-use zoning, leaving more things in walking proximity to others), or where the maids who clean the hotel rooms live near enough to their workplaces not only to walk (or take a quick public transport) to work but to enjoy the same beaches and parks. When that maid, his children's teachers, his employers, and his grocer can live in the same general area, there is a heightened sense of community (think wider sidewalks with lots of tables and chairs and enough room for dog-walkers to pass), and that leads to all kinds of other neato things (like tourism, even). Think of the coolest parts of downtown Portland and Seattle, and you have a good idea of what I mean. Kaimuki comes closest on this island, with its central municipal lots and wide, wide range of independent (and chain) businesses and services all within walking distance, not to mention its wide sidewalks ('though the city didn't go far enough with that).

Kakaako could have been perfect for this kind of development.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          Just a quick off-topic message agreeing with TimKona's sentiment about "mixed use" zoning and higher-density planning in urban areas. I don't think he's talking about ghettos, Dick. I think he's talking about planned communities where cars are less necessary (because of the mixed-use zoning, leaving more things in walking proximity to others), or where the maids who clean the hotel rooms live near enough to their workplaces not only to walk (or take a quick public transport) to work but to enjoy the same beaches and parks. When that maid, his children's teachers, his employers, and his grocer can live in the same general area, there is a heightened sense of community (think wider sidewalks with lots of tables and chairs and enough room for dog-walkers to pass), and that leads to all kinds of other neato things (like tourism, even). Think of the coolest parts of downtown Portland and Seattle, and you have a good idea of what I mean. Kaimuki comes closest on this island, with its central municipal lots and wide, wide range of independent (and chain) businesses and services all within walking distance, not to mention its wide sidewalks ('though the city didn't go far enough with that).

Kakaako could have been perfect for this kind of development.
                          Dwellings of varying sizes mixed together is a good idea. Mixing rentals with owner occupied dwellings is a bad idea IMO.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            Interesting that the eipcenters of these earthquakes are on the west side of the Big Island. Kind of wondering if the Big Island is moving westward to make room for that new island underwater on the east side.
                            Mystery Quake

"While the exact mechanism will take a thorough study of seismic data, a likely trigger was the release of vertical pressure exerted by the weight of the Big Island on the ocean floor, or lithosphere, Poland said.

"The earth's crust is flexing under the Big Island, and that flexing will occasionally cause breakage," he said."
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                              The radio this morning said that there was another EARTHQUAKE TODAY off of the big island that registered.

Did anyone on Oahu feel this one today TUESDAY?
                              I guess this is what the radio was talking about:
                              http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...829017463.html

Comment

We had another quake in South Kohala. This one was a 2.6 at 8:49AM
                                (link)
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X