Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken

Last night on the way home I noticed that the Kentucky Fried Chicken had a small banner for Garlic Chicken. So I tried a couple of pieces and it was okay with the garlic flavor was in the crust of the chicked and not in the actual meat itself. What they did was to replace the Extra Crispy Chicken choice with Crispy Garlic Chicken. So when you order chicken from KFC the staff will ask you if you want Original or Crispy Garlic.

Also noticed that Kaukau Korner forum has no thread dedicated to discussing chicken so this will be good time to start one.

So how do you like your chicken done? Fried? Baked? Katsu? Shoyu? Boned or Boneless? Thighs? Breast? Drumsticks? Wings?

For me I am pretty much flexible when it comes to chicken, sure I have preference to boneless over boned and I like the BBQ Chicken as my first choice.

Re: Chicken

tasted it last week, when my wife bought some chicken.

Is their change to 'garlic' chicken in response to the locals desire for garlic chicken---because if so, they need a long...long...long way to go to make it taste 'local style'.

again, that's 'if' they are trying to cash in on the garlic chicken craze...

Comment

I've not tried the KFC garlic chicken, but I am curious about it.
      It's breaded and fried so I'll probably love it. More's the pity, as I'm not supposed to eat that sort of thing.

Chicken is so versatile, I love it all kine ways, for the most part. I know I've said this in other threads, but my favorite chicken in a plate lunch is the garlic chicken at L&L. Boneless, marinated and stir-fried with garlic and other ingreedaments ... MMMMM! I guess chicken katsu is my second all-around favorite. (Again, breaded and fried -- what's not to like?) However, I also love other preparations like, teriyaki chicken (especially my mom's), Hanamaulu chicken, Craig Watanabe's wife's wings recipe, Buffalo wings ... where does it end? I don't know yet.

The chicken with lemon at Buca di Beppo is SO delicious, too. Lightly floured and sauteed to perfection -- and served with a fabulous lemon butter sauce ... (sigh). Chicken piccata, chicken saltimbocca, etc. etc. Asagio serves great chicken dishes too.

I'm NOT a fan of dishes that include boned chicken that has been hacked up, a la chicken long rice, etc. Invariably, there are bone-bits in the food -- and knowing it'll make me gag, I avoid ordering those sorts of dishes.
      Last edited by Erika Engle; July 15, 2006, 10:19 AM. Reason: clarity (I hope)
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I've always wondered about KFC's commercials...advertising that they're the "best chicken on the island" (or something like that iirc).

I'm not a fried chicken expert - I rarely eat it - but Phuket Thai has yummy fried chicken. And from the looks of lunch time, everyone else there likes it, too.

Comment

My first choice is roast chicken, and it's pretty good at Lahaina Chicken. I do wish they'd use real mashed potatoes instead of the powdered stuff, but then that goes for KFC, too. For fried, KFC is okay, but I'm not a fan of garlic so think I'll skip that option.

Comment

For me, it's hard to beat Costco's whole, roasted chicken. The various supermarket attempts pale in comparison. I tend not to order chicken at a restaurant 'cuz it's so easily available from the deli and brought home...or to the office (which is usually the case!).

Comment

BIG-TIME agreement w/Tutusue!

I'd gotten the roast chix from Safeway a few times when taking the time to
              cook was out of the question (or I was too lazy) ... but my sister kept insisting that the Costco one is so much better, blah blah blah.

I'm a bit stubborn, so I just took her comments with a grain of salt ... until one day shopping at Costco, knowing I'd not want to cook when I got home, I brought one of their rotisserie chickens home.

Oh - my - gosh. I'll say it publicly. My sister was right. (And she's younger, so for me, that's a HUGE admission.)

Comment

Hi! I'm Erika's sister!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Hi! I'm Erika's sister!
                  LOL, tita!

Comment

Re: Ultimate Chicken Fingers recipe

I got this recipe via one of the many cooking-related free e-mails I've signed up for -- and I gotta tell you, it is a family favorite after just one go-round!

I have this tendency to dry out chicken breast meat, (accidentally, of course), out of fear that I'll poison my family with undercooked poultry.

These were fully cooked, fork-tender, juicy and delicious! My first bite resulted in MY OWN "Oh WOW" and I'm not one to react before I gauge the kids' responses to a new dish.

At this link, you'll find the recipe I made -- I used the original recipe, which is NOT low-fat -- perhaps because of the melted butter?

I didn't know about the lighter version (posted on the same page) until I searched for a link to post.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...cken%2bfingers

Insted of cutting up chicken breasts, I used some defrosted chicken tenders from the big bag I picked up at Costco over the weekend.

Comment

Erica:
                      I make a dish with chicken thighs, lemon and spanish olives that my family asks for all the time when we host birthday parties. It's even better as leftovers. I use an entire six-pound bag of thighs from Costco, an entire jar of olives (big jar, big olives), a giant onion, a lemon from our tree and a lot of white wine. I'd send you the recipe if you like!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

That Japanese place in Mililani Town Center at the okazu-ya window. I like their fried chicken with musubi and gobo. Also Popeye's.

At home I broil chicken breast halves in the oven, with the bone and skin. Sprinkle with garlic salt, black pepper and a little paprika. Place a few pats of butter on the chicken and broil on low with rack in the middle, bone side first for about 13 minutes. Just watch it for charring. Flip and baste with butter and broil the skin side about the same time. Erika, no sked lifting or cutting the meat to check for doneness. If the meat's still pink, flip bone side up and broil for another 3 to 5 minutes. Flip over to crisp the skin and remove from oven. Meat comes out just on the cooked side (all white) and is not "roasted overcooked" soft nor is it all dried out. Real juicy. No like soft, falling-off-the-bone kine chicken.

Oh yeah, don't forget the filadeni (sp?) sauce for dipping the meat. Shoyu, lemon juice, diced onions and lillobit chili pepper. Ono.

Comment

Simply Hawaiian Salt & Pepper, then throw those bad boys (chicks actually) on the CHARCOAL grill with some Mesquite or Kiawe until 'da outside stay little bit papa'a.. Winnahz!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Mochiko chicken is probably my fav.
                            I also like teriyaki chicken like you can get at church bazaars.

The roasted chicken at costco is great for making enchiladas with.

Comment

No raising your chicken from an egg, then killing it and doing that good stuff? (j/k)

I like mine either boneless or katsu style. I hate it when I'm eating a big peice of chicken, and I bite a bone or chew one.
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                              X