X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Prices

Originally posted by zff View Post
    We should be embracing this.
    “We” should first be directed at all those solo drivers who are just traveling to and from work. On the other hand, those carpooling, cycling, or moped/motorcycle riding should also be embraced. Those who need their 4-wheeled vehicle for work (contractors, vendors, photographers, videographers, etc.) should not be frowned upon.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Everyone should be embracing the high cost of fuel and food. It might be the one thing to get us all to thinking and doing what we should be in order to bring down overcomsumption, excess, and pollution.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        “We” should first be directed at all those solo drivers who are just traveling to and from work. On the other hand, those carpooling, cycling, or moped/motorcycle riding should also be embraced. Those who need their 4-wheeled vehicle for work (contractors, vendors, photographers, videographers, etc.) should not be frowned upon.
        I'm directing "we" at anyone who lives on this planet.

Solo drivers commuting to work is where we stand to make the greatest improvement, but everyone who burns fossil fuels -- including carpoolers, hybrid drivers, and those using their vehicles for work -- need to change their ways. The only way we'll get people to honestly do that is by hitting them in their wallets. I understand it'll be rough for a little while, but it will be better for all of us in the long run.

Comment

Bump!

I ran across fueleconomy.gov that partially pertains to this thread. The site is broader in scope and very interesting.

I've been thinking about buying a Nissan Versa or Honda Fit because of the gas mileage and fairly low environmental impact. Neither are hybrids but my low mileage doesn't really justify the added expense of a hybrid. I did a comparison using the site linked above; comparing my older (1995), somewhat luxury sedan that's not a gas guzzler but also isn't known for uber-mileage, and the Versa and Fit if purchased new.

Bottom line is, considering my annual mileage and my current car's mpg, I'd save approx. $30/month in gas while adding approx. $300/month in the form of a car payment! And that monthly payment takes into account a trade-in plus additional cash for a 33% down payment. Whatta rude awakening! I'll still reevaluate whether or not I'll even bother to own a car after I analyze my 2008 car expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
            according to: http://hawaiigasprices.com gas hasn't hit $4 or more/gal.
            Oh, lucky you.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
              according to: http://hawaiigasprices.com gas hasn't hit $4 or more/gal.
              Originally posted by Random View Post
              Oh, lucky you.
              Pssst...Random? Kani posted that price on May 18!

Comment

There is a 10% discount on cash purchases of gas at Lex Brodie's on Sunday only. Got my Toyota Corolla filled for $24.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  There is a 10% discount on cash purchases of gas at Lex Brodie's on Sunday only. Got my Toyota Corolla filled for $24.
                  Is that every Sunday?

Comment

Only $24.? Really?! That's incredible in this day and age! Is that for the first 4 lanes at Brodie's or just the first 2 lanes that are cash/self serve?

Comment

The $24 got me 5 gallons of gas which for my Corolla is pretty good. But of course I don't wait for my gas gauge to touch the "E" on the bottom. I go there long before that happens.

The discount applies on cash purchases only (5% Mon - Sat; 10% Sun) and the good ol' attendent pumps the gas for ya. Again, CA$H only.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The $24 got me 5 gallons of gas which for my Corolla is pretty good. But of course I don't wait for my gas gauge to touch the "E" on the bottom. I go there long before that happens.

The discount applies on cash purchases only (5% Mon - Sat; 10% Sun) and the good ol' attendent pumps the gas for ya. Again, CA$H only.
                        Aha! Those are lanes 3 & 4...cash/mini-serve! I, too, don't wait to hit empty. I usually top off when the tank is 2/3 full. But that decision is purely psychological. I don't want to see what an empty tank will cost! Denial rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          Pssst...Random? Kani posted that price on May 18!
                          Oh, please. I was still paying more than $4/gal on Molokai ... in May.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Oh, please. I was still paying more than $4/gal on Molokai ... in May.
                            What are you paying now?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              What are you paying now?
                              About 4.60 or something, regular. I got about a few drips over 2 gallons on just $10 worth.

Comment

Correction to my posts on this topic. It is 5¢ off for cash M - Sat., and 10¢ off on Sunday per gallon for cash customers @ Lex Brodie's. Not 5% or 10%. Sorry.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X