Maui County adding road impact fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui County adding road impact fees

Of course, the additional fees for having to pay for the traffic impact of the new development on the infrastructure will just get passed on in the form of higher prices for the new homes, hotels and condos, but at least Maui County will be adding some money to its coffers to help mitigate the impact of more cars and people on the island. Might it also have the effect of slowing down growth too?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Maui County adding road impact fees

Hopefully the new Hawaii County council will enact a more comprehensive ordinance here. As Maui's ordinance focuses only traffic. We need something that covers all infrastructure.

The mechanism that does that is concurrency ordinance. If existing infrastructure is not meeting an acceptable level of service, a concurrency ordinance mandates infrastructure be built before or concurrently to the development.

link
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Unfortunately both Maui and Hawaii are plagued with a populace of people who have no interest whatsoever in ACTUAL solutions to traffic problems.

The prime example of this is the New & Improved Queen Kaahumanu "Highway" in Kona. Nice, wide road that is peppered with STOPlights because overpasses are ugly. I wish they would change the name of that road to a Boulevard. Call it what it is.

Imagine a society where the importance of aesthetics takes precedence over the desire for solutions, such that public monies are squandered on boondoggles.

Maui is making a good move with impact fees. But it's only 1/2 of a solution to traffic problems without grade separation in the overall plan.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

In regards to grade separation, it seems the HDOT is the prime culprit for not allowing that. Instead they allow all these stop lights grow like coconut trees.

Case in point, I tried to push my point across to both the county and state that there needs to be a grade separation at the future Palamanui access road intersection. I mentioned that these stop lights are contributing to the traffic mess. But the short answer is, HDOT is content to add more lanes to Queen Kaahumanu instead of considering other options.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

HDOT knows that any plan for grade separation will be met with tremendous resistance and ton's of bad press for an agency that is pretty beleaguered already.

Most politicians are content to give the people what they want, regardless of what is good for them. Most of the people do not have the knowledge to know what is good for them, and depend primarily on how they "feel", or what they "think".

Like handing a glass of water to a drowning man because he says he is thirsty.

Did you know that stoplights and roundabouts have similar peak capacities, resulting in the inevitable backups at rush hour? Littleknown facts like these are the science that frustrates people who prefer to "believe". One thing is for sure - When you hear somebody promoting roundabouts, you can be damn certain they don't know a thing about traffic solutions.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Actually, aside from too many stop lights, too much local traffic is being diverted on to primary roadways like Queen Kaahumanu Highway or Kuakini. Case in point,if you want to drive from Malulani Gardens to Kailua View Estates, the only way is to drive on Queen Kaahumanu extension. So instead of widening the primary arteries, more secondary roads need to be built.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
            X