Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Food Network

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    I hope Tony competes against Bobby Flay and kicks BF's cocky @ss.
    When I heard that last night's secret ingredient was going to be "wild boar," I thought "how will they tell the difference between the ingredient and Bobby Flay?"

I think the only person on that show I dislike more than Flay is Jeffrey Steinbitchy; rather than critiquing the food, he keeps going after the other judges! I think they put someone between him and Ted Allen just to keep Ted from poisoning Jeffrey's plate.

(Oh, and my second thought about the ingredient was "I wonder if Keoki Kahumoku is watching?")

Comment

i saw sam choy on iron chef. honestly, i'm not surprised that he did so poorly. put it this way--last year, he hosted a class reunion luau the the eve my employer had a lunchtime luau. my beau and his mother went to both (my opinion shouldn't count) and both said the food at my employer's luau was MUCH tastier.

my employer? a HOSPITAL. and no--the food wasn't catered...unless you call the in-house cafeteria a catering service. SODEXHO was better than sam choy, people!

the last time i went to a sam choy establishment out of choice was my last. when the $15.00 seafood louie is mostly somen noodles, practically plain mayonnaise, iceberg lettuce and barely more than a claw of lobster meat, then it's time to stop giving a chef a chance.

besides, i've since heard that the whole sam choy "aloha" isn't something he shares with his employees. i've heard several first-hand stories of his abusive language...and this coming from seasoned FnB veterans who are thick-skinned.

i just wish that next time they bring in someone from hawaii on iron chef, it will be bcs they're chefs of merit (besides the well known hi regional guys like alan wong and russell siu, we also have chef fukui at hiroshi's, and the chef at cafe miro on waialae--best meal i've had since bouchon!). i'd rather not that a hawaii chef be on iron chef bcs they're pals with emeril.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
        i saw sam choy on iron chef. honestly, i'm not surprised that he did so poorly. put it this way--last year, he hosted a class reunion luau the the eve my employer had a lunchtime luau. my beau and his mother went to both (my opinion shouldn't count) and both said the food at my employer's luau was MUCH tastier.

my employer? a HOSPITAL. and no--the food wasn't catered...unless you call the in-house cafeteria a catering service. SODEXHO was better than sam choy, people!

the last time i went to a sam choy establishment out of choice was my last. when the $15.00 seafood louie is mostly somen noodles, practically plain mayonnaise, iceberg lettuce and barely more than a claw of lobster meat, then it's time to stop giving a chef a chance.

besides, i've since heard that the whole sam choy "aloha" isn't something he shares with his employees. i've heard several first-hand stories of his abusive language...and this coming from seasoned FnB veterans who are thick-skinned.

i just wish that next time they bring in someone from hawaii on iron chef, it will be bcs they're chefs of merit (besides the well known hi regional guys like alan wong and russell siu, we also have chef fukui at hiroshi's, and the chef at cafe miro on waialae--best meal i've had since bouchon!). i'd rather not that a hawaii chef be on iron chef bcs they're pals with emeril.
        Before his "fame" , Sam Choy was at the Kona Hilton. His buffets were awesome, I have many memories of great food.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
          Before his "fame" , Sam Choy was at the Kona Hilton. His buffets were awesome, I have many memories of great food.
          *sigh*

then is it a case of his sitting on his laurels, then? did i truly miss out on some talent that mr. choy actually had? bcs if that's the case, that truly sucks. nothing saddens me like a missed opportunity to have good food.

that said, i gotta point out that tyler florence is HOOOOTTUH!!! and so is Alton Brown...his seemingly unending vastness of geeky food tech just makes me melt.

and ina garten? that woman is sensual, and i'd guess eating her cooking would be sensual, too.

say what you may say bout rach ray, but i've tried some of her recipes. maybe i can't get them done in exactly 30 minutes, but they're YUM-O!
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

NY Times Sunday Magazine did a piece recently on the "Rachael Ray Haters Club."

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              that said, i gotta point out that tyler florence is HOOOOTTUH!!!
              He's one of my celebrity crushes. He is sensual, passionate and his little smirk, oh my. I could watch him do anything for hours as long as it's not gross or illegal. But then again it matters on what you consider gross and/or illegal.

*swoons*
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                He's one of my celebrity crushes. He is sensual, passionate and his little smirk, oh my. I could watch him do anything for hours as long as it's not gross or illegal. But then again it matters on what you consider gross and/or illegal.

*swoons*
                There has been a bit of Tyler bashing on some of the food forums lately related to his increasing chubbiness.

I still think he's adorable and one must remember that love handles have been known to provide needed stabilization in times of reckless abandon.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                  There has been a bit of Tyler bashing on some of the food forums lately related to his increasing chubbiness.

I still think he's adorable and one must remember that love handles have been known to provide needed stabilization in times of reckless abandon.
                  Totally agreed. You know, I like 'em (men) a bit bigger anyway (head outa the gutter *ahem*) It's a tad scary to think, though, of him making my internal heat rise any further. By the way, that love handle line is my new favorite quote of the week. haha!
                  I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I guess it would only matter to Tyler that guys appreciate his handles!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                      I guess it would only matter to Tyler that guys appreciate his handles!
                      He's still adorable, as recognized by both camps.

Rumors fly about Michael Chiarello, too. Even Ina Garten's beloved Jeffrey has been rumored to be gay, with Ina acting as his cover.

Comment

I've heard it said often: never trust a skinny cook.

Comment

He's still adorable, as recognized by both camps.

Rumors fly about Michael Chiarello, too. Even Ina Garten's beloved Jeffrey has been rumored to be gay, with Ina acting as his cover.
                          Oh I so believe that about Ina being a cover for Jeffrey! I swear to gawd there are times when I've covered for my dear gay friends as well, before I was married!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

If you're reading this right now (Sat. 4:17pm), turn it quick to the Food Network!

There's a food challenge called FLYING KNIVES, a Teppenyaki challenge.

3 local boys are competing and 2 mainland guys...

- Kevin Matsuda - Mililani
                            - Nick Norimatsu - Honolulu
                            - Kalae Tanaka - Wailuku, Maui
                            - Lam Ha Minneapolis, Minnesota
                            - Cavin Ross - South Lake, California

It was filmed at hotel on the big island. They should re-air it again some time. Pretty cool.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              If you're reading this right now (Sat. 4:17pm), turn it quick to the Food Network!

There's a food challenge called FLYING KNIVES, a Teppenyaki challenge.

3 local boys are competing and 2 mainland guys...

- Kevin Matsuda - Mililani
                              - Nick Norimatsu - Honolulu
                              - Kalae Tanaka - Wailuku, Maui
                              - Lam Ha Minneapolis, Minnesota
                              - Cavin Ross - South Lake, California

It was filmed at hotel on the big island. They should re-air it again some time. Pretty cool.
                              That aired up here last week. Sure was windy! I'm surprised the chefs were able to catch any shrimps in their hats! Gotta try that egg cracking trick...

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Correction: His name is Nick Narimatsu (not Norimatsu). Omedeto Gozaimasu!

Also, it's Teppanyaki (not teppenyaki).

Food Network link (including broadcast times and photos): Flying Knives
                                Last edited by Pomai; February 3, 2007, 04:32 PM. Reason: Link it
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X