Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bed bugs closing Restaurant Row 9 theaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bed bugs closing Restaurant Row 9 theaters?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    What's a NY hotel review got to do with the OP?
    And pandemic is correct, especially as I was obviously referring to the shelter, not the theater.
    'Word on the street' from those that have first hand knowlege is a decent start, and leaves it open to further investigation to the ultimate facts. Where/when else do you think you would have heard it?

And if what I heard was a bunch of BS, then good. Who wants grotesque blood suckers in their theaters? Prove that it's just a false rumour and I'll be the first to be happy. Does the possibility of an error enlist me for the corner chair with a dunce hat? I think not. But if it's true then your endless propensity for deriding me and the matter while belittling it as mere gossip should find the pointy chapeau a perfect fit for you.
    chapeau, eh? thanks for using a word properly, not hyperbolically. too bad you still don't know what "pandemic" means.

only a gossip would spread an unfounded rumor and all but ask his audience to disprove it. but since you feel you are being misaligned, i will take pity and stop beating the lame and senseless talking horse.
    Last edited by cynsaligia; June 8, 2009, 07:44 PM. Reason: adjectival accuracy
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      I think I can do a little better, but this thread isn't about you/me and I'm trying not to incite a reaction from the lock police as FM was hoping for,
      Well, if the powers-that-be here see fit to let this thread continue, however short of facts that are presented, so be it.

Let it not be said that bedbug infestation is a laughing matter. It is most serious. But then again, so are people's jobs.

If the RR9 multiplex need to be shut down (temporarily or otherwise) because it poses a health hazard, then of course it is something that has to be done. But if it has to be closed, it should be because a qualified inspector confirms that there is an infestation. It shouldn't be because customers are scared off by unverified rumors that may turn out to be false. A topic that some people here may view as fodder for speculation and/or amusement might be one that jeopardizes other people's livelihoods if rumors get out of hand.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Well next step is for someone to contact DOH and ask if they have been alerted.

Ron, I nominate you, since you brought this 'word on the street' to our attention and have more knowledge about it than anyone else.

Will you step up to the plate?

I recommend a simple inquiry:

"Dear DOH:
        I have heard a rumor on the street that the Restaurant Row Theatres may have an infestation of bedbugs. Can you confirm this? Or if not, can you please investigate?

Mahalo,
        Name"

In fact, even a bunch of us can do it, and cc: the theatres, and nip this thing in the bug.

I couldn't find an email contact, but:

Vector Control Branch Mission
        We must account for our current mission responsibilities. We must also be ready and be prepared to assure and protect public health and environmental safety from disease carrying vector organisms, and take maximum advantage of the unique characteristics of our neighbor island units.

99-945 Halawa Valley Street
        Aiea, HI 96701
        Phone: (808) 483-2535
        Fax: (808) 483-2545

and:

Hollywood Theaters - Restaurant Row 9 Theatres
        500 Ala Moana Boulevard
        Honolulu, HI 96813
        (808) 545-8635

Phone should do it. Maybe we can settle this thing, stop sniping and get back to normal.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Sniping???? there is sniping on HT???? Whatever is this world coming to....
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            pfft. you've been around long enough to know that what transpired here was roses and clover compared to the ammonia and sulfur that perfumed threads in the past.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              'Fraid so:
              v
              v
              v
              v
              v
              v
              v
              v
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

Attached Files
              To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

And so it ends . . . where will the bedbugs go?

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...in_August.html

Comment

We may never get to the bottom of it now. But if the horrid gossipy rumour was true, those critters will migrate to other establishments nearby, if they can survive the trek without further nurishment.

But funny how one half of the story, that the theaters will close, comes on the heels of the other half...
                  And you notice in the article that there were complaints from patrons about the homeless being there.
                  Last edited by Ron Whitfield; June 9, 2009, 10:15 AM.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Can't say that this is shocking news. The landlord was openly talking about a Restaurant Row without the theater last year.

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hono...ant-Death-Row/

The Restaurant Row 9 Theatres first opened in 1995, boosting foot traffic for a while—but then the Dole Cannery and Ward multiplexes opened up nearby, and Restaurant Row’s theaters eventually became down-market, $1 movie houses.

But Larry Taff, the managing partner of the Shidler Group, wants to ultimately see the theater space follow in the footsteps of Sunset Grill and become a business that better matches the more service-oriented direction in which the complex is going. “I think that it’s the black eye of the property,” he says.

I giggled when I read the boldfaced part. Why would you want the new tenant to "follow in the footsteps" of an eatery that closed down?

When the theater shuts down, the Shidler group will face the same dilemma that RR's original owner faced. Painfully low foot traffic at night. This was the reason why the Wallace theater chain was given such favorable lease terms in the first place. They were desperate for anything that would get people into that place, especially on the nights that Studebaker's (later, the Ocean Club) was slow or closed. Now that the theater is gone, what will take its place. A revolving door of tenants? This just might be the straw that breaks the back of the tenants that are already struggling, like Pasta Basta.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Interesting thread, eh?!

Of course various opinions will be held by different folks on any particular topic,
                      but the ridiculous attacks by Cynsaligia are lame, useless, and irritating. Must be that time of the month.

See how this post is now lame, useless, and irritating?!

"Where have all the nice people gone"?
                      Chased away by lame, useless, and irritating HT'ers who are probably proud of it.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I disagree. Upon first reading it, I also thought the original post had a weird anti-homeless slant and was glad someone called the poster on it. As for "that time of the month," a very smart woman once advised me never to go there, for the simple reason that it is not mine to make jokes about. You're talking about a very personal, intimate thing and to throw that out like that is worse than the original offense you wish to point out.

It turns out that the theaters are indeed expected to close in August, at least according to an unsourced Twitter message from @KHONNews. No details or confirmation yet.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

silly boy. don't you know that when you say a woman must be on her rag, you essentially emasculate yourself bcs you apparently can't argue without being misogynist?

a whole lot of you don't like the way i did it, but my calling ron out forced more of you to think critically not only about what he posted but its possible effects, given the scaremonger tone he used. a number of posts prior to mine were all about the ewwww! yucky homeless reaction, and not much more.

am i unrepentant? in this instance, hell yeah. i made you all think using your reason versus just your primal, gossipy gut. heck, i even got FM to do research that supported my position that ron's claims were, if not wholly wrong, at least suspect.

Comment

Finances closing Restaurant Row 9 theaters.

Department of Health, Vector Control Branch denies receiving any complaints or reports (before mine) and claimed to be unaware of any 'rumors on the street' concerning bedbugs in any theatres on O`ahu, including the Restaurant Row 9. They do say it is possible, and if they received a report or complaint, they would go out and investigate. They were almost ready to go out on my mention, but I stressed that I had no physical evidence, I was just following up on a rumor, and they chilled.

One of the on-site managers at RR9 said they have received NO complaints from customers to his knowledge. In addition he says that bi-weekly inspections are made of all theatres, including for droppings, fleas (using flea traps) and samples are taken during cleaning and inspected.

Attendance has not diminished, in fact it has increased of late.

Originally posted by Kimo
                            And so it ends . . . where will the bedbugs go?
                            To bed? Like I hope this rumor does?

Or perhaps we will now have to deal with...

HOMELESS BEDBUGS!!!!????

Or perhaps they will go back to Restaurant Row in NYC...?
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              It turns out that the theaters are indeed expected to close in August, at least according to an unsourced Twitter message from @KHONNews. No details or confirmation yet.
                              KHON has an unsourced Twitter message .... but the Star-Bulletin has an actual story.
                              http://www.starbulletin.com/business...in_August.html
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I read that article too by Nina Wu in this morning's Star Bulletin and this passage stuck me as strange:

Online reviews of the discount theater on yelp.com and yahoo! movies were mixed -- some called it well maintained, with a decent sound system, while others said it was the best deal in town and yet others complained of smells and homeless people.
                                Isn't the Star Bulletin in the same complex as the theaters? Wouldn't some recent first hand experience into the theater might be better for the article then some on-line reference that doesn't reference when those reviews were done?

Comment

Working...
                                X