Movie Listings on Star-Advertiser.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Listings on Star-Advertiser.com

Has anyone else noticed that the film listings page at Star-Advertiser.com is only displaying show times for Consolidated Theaters? I thought maybe they worked out a deal or something, 'though that's hardly serving the public interest.

More interesting (to me) is that the page I had bookmarked, which was only for the Dole Cannery (Regal Cinemas) theater, is still being updated. Any idea what's going on?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Movie Listings on Star-Advertiser.com

The printed version of the Star Advertiser has been saying for the last two or three weeks that they no longer print the Regal movie times. They also mention for questions about this to contact Regal.

Comment

Regal, nation-wide, has decided to opt out of advertising in print media.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Monday's Star Advertiser mentions that Consolidated Theatres will have reduced movie listings on the weekdays, with full moive listings on the weekend.

Today's listing only showed Ward and Kahala theatres.

Comment

Friday and Sunday's printed version lists both chains.

Comment

For the last few months the printed version of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser only lists the movie times from Consolidated Theaters.

Comment

And there is a notice in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser that it will print the movie schedules only on Friday and Sunday.

Comment

Kind of noticing that Honolulu Star Advertiser's TGIF section only review movies not list the showing times at the 2 chains. There is a listing for the local Arthouses.

Comment

My son works at Consolidated. He says that the movie theaters are barely making ends meet. The expenses of running the theatres, making NO money on the films they show and relying only on concession sales has them hiring only part-time, minimum wage help.
                  Consequently, they have to minimize expenses elsewhere, like print advertising.
                  People are relying more and more on CD rentals and television channels like Netflicks, Hulu, and Amazon for their viewing.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

movie theaters are barely making ends meet. The expenses of running the theatres, making NO money on the films they show and relying only on concession sales
                    I am not surprised that movie theaters are not making money for all the reasons cited previously. I like going to the movies.

However I find them to be an extremely expensive entertainment option, especially since ticket prices to go in exceeded my $6 and $8 threshold. With admissions to standard playing movies in the $12 or so range, it is much more cheaper to spend the same amount of money on a monthly subscription to Neflix or some other streaming service. It is even cheaper to buy a DVD since you pay for it only once and are able to watch the movie over and over again with no further cost. Ditto for buying digital at Amazon, Apple or Google.

Then we have the price of concessions. Needless to say outrageously expensive. On the rare times I do decide to go to a movie I eat at home before the movie and bypass the concession stand completely. My friend that I occasionally go to the movies with can't eat the "junk foods" at concessions and neither can I since my heart surgery a couple of years ago. So yes, we skip the concessions go straight to the movie.

Another thing. Home entertainment technology has gotten better. Large flat screen TVs, big sound systems and for those on the high end who want to go all out, you can create "man caves" and "media rooms" to enjoy the best money can buy with larger scale 4K or 5K TVs, better audio, comfy chairs, bars, etc. On the other end of the technology spectrum you got "affordable" portability: smartphones and tablets that allow you to watch on the go, anywhere, anytime.

And how often do I actually go the movies? In a theater?

2015: I saw 3 movies in the theaters that year.... a submarine one that the title escapes me, "The Martian" and "Star Wars The Force Awakens"... and I saw that one twice because the first time my other friend won free tickets for the premiere night.

2016: My sister and I saw a Steven Spielberg movie about some giants... "BLG" or something like that, the last "Star Trek" movie and "Star Wars Rouge 1".

2017: Nothing yet. This is the first time ever I skipped a "Planet of the Apes" movie in the theater after having seen all incarnations of the franchise on the big screen years previous. The only movie I plan to see this year is "Star Wars The Last Jedi".....

Otherwise it is just whatever I can watch for free on a stream or old movies I already own.

I think Consolidated did away with the Tuesday $6 movie? Regal?

Bottom line: People are voting with their wallets and the trend will continue as the cost of living keeps on climbing especially in Hawaii.
                    Last edited by mel; August 27, 2017, 08:16 AM. Reason: fix typos, add more content
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      I think Consolidated did away with the Tuesday $6 movie? Regal?
                      They still have $6 Tuesdays, but now it's $7. And also, for a limited time, it's now on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. But I agree with you, the theaters are having a hard time. Recently, the movies I've gone to were sparsely attended (even the $7 ones). Sad to say, movie theaters might be the next dinosaur. But I love watching movies at theaters. This year alone, I've gone to movie theaters 41 times (and the year's not over). But I also subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Comment

Lately I have been using fandango.com to help plan when to go to a movie.

Do I miss the movie listings in the local paper, yeah I do but it is not the end of the world type of event for me.

Comment

I miss drive-ins.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                          X