Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Primary Election Day

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    I voted on thursday and, just to be sure my vote was counted, I voted again today (I changed one of my selections - I erred on thursday). Both votes were counted, as usual.
    Unfortunately for you, you are wrong. Just because your ballots were accepted at the early-voting station and at the polling precinct, doesn’t mean they both count. It simply means the second ballot cast will be invalidated once the computer confirms two ballots connected to the same social security number were submitted.

This is why the ballots are numbered: because the exact number on the ballot is also written into the poll book next to your name and signature. It’s also why there is a last minute ‘correction-order list’ which may or may not have been employed in your case, but is still in the computer system. Lastly, changes that are made up to the last 36 hours before the primary, are already in the system available to the Election control center operation (who basically overrule any official at the polls) even if they neither appear in the poll book or the correction-order list. So yes, you will get caught eventually.

It does feel good to think you’re getting away with something, doesn’t it?

Sorry to burst your bubble.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Hate to tell, but the ballot stubs are numbered, the ballots are not. I guess you're just like all those precinct officials - don't really notice what's going on. No computer looks into a precinct book, either. Even if it could - could it interpret the errors it 'sees'? Nope. When the 2 precinct officials in charge of issuing and recording ballots fail to follow proper procedures and fail to notice they've failed to follow proper procedures, and the precinct chair fails to notice their failure, the failure stands and no recourse is taken. Your idea that SSNs are matched to ballots is quaint - that would allow someone to determine every vote of every person in every election.

As a matter of fact, once one of my issuing officials accidentally tore 2 ballots off as one and handed them to a voter. The voter voted the 2 ballots and submitted them into the machine. I discovered this fact a moment too late as I saw the machine attendant helping the voter enter a second ballot into the machine. The issuer and the recorder didn't notice that the ballots weren't consecutive when he issued the next person a ballot, the machine attendant didn't 'notice' that person had submitted 2 ballots (and even helped) and 'central' said nothing could be done about it (record the error and move on). The voter said he was issued 2 ballots, so he voted 2 ballots. That's life, get used to it.
      Last edited by salmoned; August 11, 2012, 11:53 PM.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Did the three writers who did political analysis on KGMB seemed nervous to you? They made interesting points, but don't seemed as polish as a Dan Boylan or Neil Milner.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          one of my issuing officials accidentally tore 2 ballots off as one and handed them to a voter. The voter voted the 2 ballots and submitted them into the machine. I discovered this fact a moment too late as I saw the machine attendant helping the voter enter a second ballot into the machine. The issuer and the recorder didn't notice that the ballots weren't consecutive when he issued the next person a ballot, the machine attendant didn't 'notice' that person had submitted 2 ballots (and even helped) and 'central' said nothing could be done about it (record the error and move on). The voter said he was issued 2 ballots, so he voted 2 ballots. That's life, get used to it.
          Apparently, embattled Big Island County Clerk Jamae Kawauchi claims to have uncovered the same type of fraud you allude to. Whether this occurs often (or even outside of Hawai‘i County) enough to influence the outcome of the election is another question.

Hawaii clerk vows readiness for elections

Jamae Kawauchi has faith in her ability despite criticism of the botched primary

By Leila Fujimori
          POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Oct 02, 2012

Kawauchi is clearly still smarting from the harsh criticism for closing the Hilo Elections Office for a day to complete an audit in July.

Rather, she said, she feels she should have been praised for her diligence in poring over the voter registration rolls to ensure an accurate list. The audit revealed four people voted twice in 2010, which she reported to the attorney general's office as possible voter fraud.

Despite calls for her resignation or removal and sharp criticism from many, including former Gov. Linda Lingle and the League of Women Voters, she said she has no intention of quitting and is more resolved than ever to work toward a good general election.
          Last edited by TuNnL; October 2, 2012, 12:59 PM.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
          X