Cycling in the Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling in the Islands

This is my Sport, dont ride to live, I live to ride, from spinning classes three times a week to my commutes home. 12 miles, I love it.

But I need a place to share my experiences, And I do not want to start a blog.
    Last edited by mordakine; June 20, 2008, 10:11 AM. Reason: typo

Ghost bike needed in Kanehoe

This is a sad tradition I think needs to get started here, and now.

http://www.ghostbikes.org/

Comment

Re: Cycling in the Islands

Couple links to get you started...

MTBR.com Hawaii page
      http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay....ysprune=&f=102

Aloha Single Speeders
      http://alohasinglespeeders.blogspot.com/

I ride when I can, road or mountain...prefer mountain. Am entertaining a single speed road bike (nice and flat in Ewa Beach). And I'm still rocking a bunch of 8 speed stuff (Ultegra & XTR)...only one 9 speed setup (mostly XT).

Comment

Re: Ghost bike needed in Kanehoe

Originally posted by mordakine View Post
        This is a sad tradition I think needs to get started here, and now.

http://www.ghostbikes.org/
        Wow. I agree. Too many bicyclists in Hawaii (even if it were only one!), have perished on our roadways. Advertiser photographer Carl Viti comes to mind. Ghost bikes. Haunting reminders.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: Ghost bike needed in Kanehoe

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          Wow. I agree. Too many bicyclists in Hawaii (even if it were only one!), have perished on our roadways.
          Yeah, the roads here on O'ahu are very bicycle unfriendly. I feel bad for the UH students who live in Manoa and try to bicycle to school.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

So far every mayor has claimed a desire to make Honolulu bike friendly. And so far every mayor has done absolutely nothing to make it happen.

I once wrote to Harris about a bad bunch of curves in the bikeway in Pearl City where you're almost guaranteed to fall if it's wet. I even suggested that he try riding it while it's wet. Of course the response was non-committal and the results were nil.

Places like Oregon and Washington State have better support for bike lanes and bikeways, and their weather is awful compared to here. Go figure!

Comment

Yup. Heard the same from all of them. I still waiting. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Long time waiting. Notting. <sigh>

Meanwhile, we have oodles of bike riders and a police force, both of whom can't seem to come to some mutual agreement about biking laws. Now a total lack of common sense on both sides prevail.

Comment

As a kama'aina living on the mainland, seeing gas prices go up, I have been wanting to satisfy my need to getting into bicycling again. It's been years since I did my daily ride from Pauoa to Kapahulu, down the Ala Wai and back again, and I was only 13 at the time (early 80's). I've heard from friends back home of the accidents and how unfriendly people in cars are to bicyclists, it seems the so-called spirit of aloha has yet to be passed along to those who want to be car-free.

Since I've been away from Oahu for years, why are there delays in trying to make it (or any of the other islands) bike-friendly? Not cost effective? I wasn't even aware of the bike trail from Ewa Beach to Pearl Harbor, and whenever I come back home, I would love to make that ride. Even though there are issues with freeways and zipper lanes, has anyone ever made an attempt to remove a freeway or highway, as some are doing here:
                http://www.preservenet.com/freeways/index.html

Here in Washington State, I often read about Seattle residents wanting to get rid of the Alaska Way Viaduct, with some wanting traffic to move back into the city, and some seeing the risks of the "inevitable" earthquake that would cause a lot of damage and loss of life if the viaduct is not removed.

How about pedicabs, are they still being used on a regular basis? For those who are home, do you ever see a time when Honolulu can become bicycle friendly? If not, why not? People need to make it possible to make the city (and the island) bike friendly, to avoid the need to fill up a page like Ghostbikes.org or something. Before my grandfather passed away, he often talked about riding his bike to Pearl Harbor from Kaimuki on a regular basis during the 40's and 50's, and also doing his share of riding the train, especially to downtown Honolulu. He would then say "people so uptight now", but if a younger generation can push Hawai'i to become bike friendly, others will want to fall into the habit. I do realize that saying all of this is easier said than done, but I have been very impressed with what Portland, Oregon has done, to become not only more bike-friendly (the friendliest in the nation according to one recent survey) but pedestrian friendly and public transport friendly.

Comment

Working...
                X