Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling scene in Oahu?

Hello HT friends!

I will be new to Oahu in mid-July, and was wondering if I could get the scoop on the cycling situation from someone who actually lives there. I searched the threads and all I seemed to find were threads about cyclists getting injured

I have a FS mountain bike and a road bike, and I am trying to decide which one would be the best choice to bring on my initial trip (not practical luggage-wise to bring both).

Between quality/safety of paved roads vs. quality/availability of off-road trails, I ask the cyclists on the boards: which bike to bring?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    My complete lack of evidence is proof that the conspiracy is working

Re: Cycling scene in Oahu?

I think there are a couple of biking clubs here -- perhaps someone can provide links to websites, if they have any.
    I'm not a rider (thanks to a bad lower back) but... O`ahu is known for poor or non-existent bike lanes in most areas, making road riding somewhat hazardous. And off-road trails are usually in mountainous areas, which get a lot of rain and are quite often slippery and dangerous. Unfrotunately, the island is not exactly bike-friendly, as best I can tell.
    But don't give up hope. O`ahu is still an incredibly gorgeous place to ride!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      I think there are a couple of biking clubs here -- perhaps someone can provide links to websites, if they have any.
      Okay, a real quick Google found one person's personal site, http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~yan/bicycle.html .

Google "Bicycling+Hawaii" and get 488 links at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...22&btnG=Search .

Google "Biking+Hawaii" and get 1,930 links at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ng%2BHawaii%22 .

Both of those cover the entire state, though. I Googled "Bicycling+Oahu" and got zero, but "Biking+Oahu" got 235 links at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...king%2BOahu%22 . Being island-specific, that one is your best bet.
      Surely some of those sites have Contact info for folks you can e-mail for more info.
      Good luck to you!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The Hawaiʻi Bicycling League is the first organization that comes to mind.

Comment

For your first trip take the road bike. The ride from Kapiolani Park to Hawaii Kai and back is a staple of Oahu cyclists. It can be extended to Enchanted Lakes for a 50 miler.

For a taste of off-road riding on Oahu check:

MTBR's Hawaii Forum http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay....ysprune=&f=102

For downhilling and freeriding check DHHAWAII.com

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies! I had googled this topic before I started the thread and found pretty much the same stuff you all did..I was hoping to start a dialogue/possibly meet up with someone from this forum for some riding fun...Fat Jeff maybe I'll have some luck w/your suggestion-you've got me REALLY wondering now which bike to bring!

Decisions decisions...

Mike

Comment

Mike,

I suggested the road bike for safety reasons. Not that MTBing here is more dangerous than other places, it's just that the best rides aren't easily acessable without someone showing you the way (ie: private land, don't ask don't tell). Pretty easy to get lost, and with the steep exposure on many trails...it's just a good idea to go with someone in the know.

If you enjoy road riding, you'll be able to keep busy with the ride I mentioned. You should also do a North Shore ride....say Haleiwa to Kaa'awa. Do it very early on a weekend morning to avoid traffic. When you get back to Haleiwa have lunch at Cholo's. Search Bicycling magazine's site for a write up of the Tantalus Loop to get a good hill climbing workout with awesome views of town.

Try some HBL rides to get introduced to the roadies in town, stop by The Bike Shop and inquire about the Tradewinds Cycling Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                Mike,

I suggested the road bike for safety reasons. Not that MTBing here is more dangerous than other places, it's just that the best rides aren't easily acessable without someone showing you the way (ie: private land, don't ask don't tell). Pretty easy to get lost, and with the steep exposure on many trails...it's just a good idea to go with someone in the know.

If you enjoy road riding, you'll be able to keep busy with the ride I mentioned. You should also do a North Shore ride....say Haleiwa to Kaa'awa. Do it very early on a weekend morning to avoid traffic. When you get back to Haleiwa have lunch at Cholo's. Search Bicycling magazine's site for a write up of the Tantalus Loop to get a good hill climbing workout with awesome views of town.

Try some HBL rides to get introduced to the roadies in town, stop by The Bike Shop and inquire about the Tradewinds Cycling Team.
                Thank you for the excellent info Jeff! Sounds like road is the way to go for now. Plus it weighs 1/2 as much as my MB so hopefully will cost 1/2 as much to bring.

I'll definitely look into the clubs/rides you mentioned. Maybe after I've met up w/some local riders who can show me the trails I'll haul out my MB.

Thanks again!

Mike

Comment

No problem if you don't mind waiting for a old fat guy.

Just be prepared with disc brakes, 5"+ of travel, and a really low granny gear.

Comment

In Austin (Lance-town) the motorists are super-friendly towards cyclists..never had or heard of a single bad experience in almost 10 years of riding. In San Antonio, 60 miles down the road, I have heard stories of bottles and bricks being thrown at cyclists from passing vehicles and was personally run off of the road by a construction truck before crashing really badly into a gravel embankment.

What are motorists general attitudes towards someone in road bike attire taking up their driving space on the rides mentioned by Fat Jeff?

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Mike, in my experience things are about 3/4 of the way towards Austin. Mostly the drivers here are indifferent to cyclists. It's pretty safe, drivers are very used to seeing us, it's just that with seeing us all the time we sometimes become "invisible". I've had my two close calls and I count those towards just not noticing me (how you miss a 300 pounder in lycra is beyond me).

It's safe, and I bet that being in a new place will have you on "high alert" while you ride anyway.

Comment

It's official: my road bike has been boxed by my local bike shop to be shipped out..hopefully lycra and clipless will be a hit...

thanks for the input everyone

Comment

Working...
                        X