What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Not long ago, I found out that the person living in the unit next door to me is a registered sex offender. (Convicted of kidnapping, sex abuse, and sodomy 1 & 2, 18 years ago, but do not know how long in prison or when released.) His landlord is aware of this and is unconcerned. Though I have never had any indication that this was the case, he has had many rather 'questionable' visitors (not what I think are new victims but kinda not so 'stable' looking/acting people) and some stay for days or weeks.

I cannot afford to move and with the prices continuing to rise and the availability of units shrinking, it is unlikely I could find anything I could afford and I have looked.

This whole situation makes me uncomfortable, especially as a parent with a child living here. My child is old enough to know and understand and be on guard, but I do know that sex offenders are the most likely repeat offenders, and in the cases you hear about on the news, most people never knew about or suspected the neighbor etc.

There is a family across the street with young children as well as many others around the immediate neighborhood.

Would you quietly alert other neighbors? Would keep it to yourself and just be careful with your own kids?

What, if anything, would you do?

Re: What would you do?

Do you have Community Meetings? Community Policing by the residents in your area trained by HPD? If not, start one. Get involve with your neighbors. Educate one another in what to look for. It's for your your children's safety. Know and practice the Amber/Maile Alert. Learn how to be observant for the every little detail as weight, color of hair, eyes, etc.

To your last question. Yes.

Also, keep a record detail as to the time and and going on's of the visitors. License numbers, description of vehicles, etc. My guess from what your describing...it's a drug house. Whatever you do not put yourself in any danger. What information you can give is valuable. Don't go playing Hero.

For more information: HPD Web Site http://honolulupd.org/

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

For background, we had an earlier thread about the Hawaii sex offender registry.

I recall at the time the site came back online, KHON reported about a woman who took it upon herself to republish the list for a certain neighborhood in a newsletter she was assembling for the neighborhood association. She did so without the association's approval, and was both applauded and rebuked.

It's good to be informed and wary, but I don't think moving into a more aggressive stance (quietly notifying neighbors can quickly escalate into a full-blown "exposure campaign") is the best next move. Your neighbors have access to the same information, and probably already know.

There's a reason sex offenders names are published, but there's also a reason some of them are released from prison and allowed to re-enter communities. You can't judge the character of his guests unless you talk with them. Why not talk with him? You are neighbors. Heck, he might be up to know good with these shady characters, or it could be possible that he simply, and for all the right reasons, provides an ear and shelter for others down on their luck or otherwise exiled... a position he's probably quite familiar with.

Comment

Please let others know. I wish I had. Many years ago I lived in a building in the McCully area. Our son and daughter were young and this guy lived on our floor named Gilbert. I just felt there was something wrong with him, and told our kids to stay away. This was before the internet site to check people out. Come to find out later he molested a boy from our building, got convicted and had previously been convicted for the same thing.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I just searched the database, and found that there's an offender living in our neighborhood (a few houses away on another street).

My neighborhood has been really quiet, and knowing that a sex offender lives near by isn't too comforting.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Honestly, I do not think that the guy is dealing drugs, but I can understand how the late night comings and goings might lead one to think so, Aunty Lynn. Unfortunately, my neighbors are not ohana type, that they take time to know one another or form any bonds or sense of community.

I do, however, feel concerned due to the rather 'indigent' population that seems to go through his door. I had felt, and even heard from him, that he was being benevolent in trying to help these people, and that may be true. Then again, when you consider where and how he may have come to associate with these folks, well, you start to wonder....

As of yet, I have not told anyone in the neighborhood. I did, however, recently complain to someone about his visitors coming at all hours and staying for extended periods. He found out, and his temper really showed when he came to me, calling me very offensive names and declaring his right to have whatever visitors who do whatever/whenever and that it is none of my business. While I can agree that, in general, my neighbors private affairs are none of my business, since his visitors arrive in the middle of the night banging on his door waking us up, I disagreed with him.

His temper, which has only now been directed at me, was enough to push my limit on tolerance, forcing me to re-consider if maybe I should alert some of my neighbors to his record. A volatile reaction to a rational/true statement is just one sign that the person may not be stable and potentially dangerous to others. (An observation based on personal experience, not just textbooks or such!)

I guess my biggest problem is that I am very bad at confrontations, and the result of such an assertive action and the reaction or possible revenge he may try to execute scares me.

pzarquon: Maybe he really has learned from his 'mistake' but given the nature of his crime, (kidnapping and sexual assault) his potential for repeating the crime is statistically high. I do want to believe the best of people, but life keeps teaching me to be cautious.....

After writing all of this out, perhaps my best option is to go to one of my neighbors who is not so timid as I am and let them follow up. Will let you all know of the results as they happen.

For those who want to check their own neighborhoods:
            http://sexoffenders.hawaii.gov/search.jsp

Comment

If I were that family across the street with several children, I'd want someone to give me a heads-up. True, she may have access to the same information, but many people are not computer literate and don't really know their way around information resources.

I agree there's a fine line between reasonable action and too much action. I don't know of a tactful way you could share the information with the family across the street, but I do know if I were that mother, I'd be profoundly grateful if you told me!
              ~'Ailina

Comment

Working...
              X