Are you interesting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you interesting?

I love Bob Krauss' observations about the human condition (and his stories about the kolea too). This week, he talks about what makes a person interesting and describes various types of "characters" who don't make friends very easily:

"...How to say interesting things? It will come naturally if you have lots of interests. Be curious. Celebrate life — the miracle of a sunrise, the beauty of flowers, the wonder of a baby learning to walk, our chop suey of cultures.

People will be interested in what you say if you can make intelligent comments on what they said, if you can trade information and learn from each other. People say interesting things who are passionate about life, about the past, about the future. You should surf through life, not be a couch potato.

It helps to be interested in reality, not reality shows. It's not a matter of having a college education. Anybody can be interesting if they observe and think."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Are you interesting?

Things that make you go hmmm, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      People say interesting things who are passionate about life, about the past, about the future. You should surf through life, not be a couch potato.
      A friend and I have been discussing this for years, often asking each other after gatherings, "Who was the most interesting person in the room?" This leads, naturally, to discussions about what makes these interesting people so interesting.

A huge quality of interesting people that simply cannot be overlooked is an interest in others--a genuine, sympathetic interest. Interesting people who are only interested in themselves and their own experiences or how everything affects them are interesting to begin with, but quickly become less and less so.

Interesting people don't always know they're interesting, and this intrigues me. In fact, it turns me on. As someone who's studied literature for most of his life, I pay lots of attention to peripheral characters and find that sometimes these edge-of-the-room people are the most interesting. Noticing this has made me attractive to certain kinds of women because once I take an interest in how interesting they are, I am almost instantly more interesting myself. How...interesting.

It helps to be interested in reality, not reality shows. It's not a matter of having a college education. Anybody can be interesting if they observe and think."
      Reality shows can be as interesting as whatever's under the rock; something that makes a person interesting is the ability to take an interest in LOTS of things--the fantastic and the mundane, the esoteric and the pop. Hmm. Esoteric Pop. That would be a good name for a soft drink. The ability to speak intelligently and interestedly about a wide range of topics, including popular culture, definitely makes a person more interesting.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Am I interesting? ROFLMAO!!!!! Seriously, When I'm sober, drunk, on pills, off pills, being a granny, taking care of my mother, being in heat, etc. etc. Go find out yourself at: http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          "Who was the most interesting person in the room?"
          If I ever asked myself that question, and felt that the answer was "me," I would need to find another room of people, fast!

When reading HT threads, I sometimes find myself asking "is this poster someone I would like to meet in real life?" The answer is, more often than not, "yes."

Comment

I meet interesting people all the time. I love to hear stories, even B.S. ones sometimes. LOL
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

"Are you interesting?"

sorry, no.
              I am raw-thuh boring.
              but thanks for asking.

Comment

People say I'm interesting. And I find dat interesting. But I don't think I'm interesting cause I know how boring I can be. But I'm niele, so I always ask questions anden one ting leads to another, next ting you know us stay talking story anden it turns out interesting. Or on my blog.

~Lika
                ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

I wish I were interesting. I think most of the time, people may be intrigued by the "unorthodox" elements of my life, but once they get to know me, they discover the awful Ordinary.
                  ~'Ailina

Comment

What an interesting thread.

My feelings on the topic are that most people are interesting. Some may be more interesting to certain people for whatever particular reason. Maybe the person has the same interests as you, maybe they are totally unlike you. It all depends on who you are and "where" you are at a particular moment in time. A person might be really shy and reserved, thereby becoming more intriguing or interesting to you. Or maybe you enjoy a loud, boisterous personality...all the better to analyze! Just depends.

I liked Scrivener's comment about "peripheral characters." Edge-of-the-room people have a mystery about them. They don't have to be the ones in the spotlight, and they usually have a good story or two, if you can peel away at the layers.

While there are many who can be self-absorbed and tedious, and make others feel inferior or less important, there are many others, who are unknowingly fascinating. Life experience makes all of us so very unique and interesting.
                    Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
                      While there are many who can be self-absorbed and tedious, and make others feel inferior or less important,

again, I quote myself, quoting E.R.:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        again, I quote myself, quoting E.R.:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
                        brilliant point, kimo-san...but it makes me think about the difference between feelings of "inferiority" and those of "inadequacy"...

my writing and music careers have been fueled by a desperate search for approval, from family, friends and from strangers...do i feel inferior? nope. do i feel inadequate? dunno... is there a difference? i have a lot of stories to tell that are entertaining, if not interesting...it seems to me that what makes a person interesting is the impact their tale(s) have on others, be it positive or negative...

for the record, hell yeah, i'm interesting, even if i only interest myself...
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
                          brilliant point, kimo-san...but it makes me think about the difference between feelings of "inferiority" and those of "inadequacy"...

my writing and music careers have been fueled by a desperate search for approval, from family, friends and from strangers...do i feel inferior? nope. do i feel inadequate? dunno... is there a difference?
                          well, sure.
                          inadequate is = not capable. Insufficient.
                          You are a capable sufficient musician. How others perceive you as adequate is not your concern, unless they are people you care about. If you are finding fulfillment in your musical career, you are not inadequate.

"Inferior" is a feeling of lower degree or rank, or of lesser quality, of little or less importance, value, or merit. Mediocre.
                          In your own mind, would any of this be ascribed to you? If no, then, you have no feelings of inferiority.

I would care if loved ones had these perceptions about me, but strangers,?! not on yer life. Their perceptions should mean nothing to you. And if they do, ya gotta sort out yer priorities.

There was a book out years ago titled: "What you think about me is none of my business" by Terry Cole-Whittaker... who wrote it, matters not, as much as the point; Trying to please the proletariat is a losing game.
                          Be yourself and those who respect that will be the ones to value as friends.
                          But keep in mind; the 'self' is only that which is in the process of becoming. In other words, your personage should be always , (conciously or unconciously) growing. That is our dharma. the chore of each one of us is to become more of who we are. to strive to be better at what we do. to share more, each day. To slowly, (for that is the pace of nature) to become a better songwriter, musician, editor, writer, whatever. keep striving toward our goals large or small, experience daily little victories, Don't expect overnight sensation status. You can't quit cold turkey anything. You have to take things step by step. and this means in every aspect of life. And once you say; "well, that is the way i am, and i identify with that behavior, and i ain't agonna change" well, ya just stopped "becoming". and they may as well bury ya now. Cuz this is not life.

Don't know if it's based on feelings of inadequacy or inferiority, but a "desperate search for approval, from family, friends, strangers" may signal something. dunno what. But it don't sound too healthy. (lost hope, despair, anxiety, extreme need, employing extreme measures...) but then, that's the fodder for song material for some I suppose... and it justifies its hold on you if it proves to be your impetus.
                          Last edited by kimo55; October 6, 2005, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I always thought artists created out of a need to express themselves, regardless whether anyone else appreciated their work or not. Of course, those are also the people who were either 1) fabulously wealthy and don't have to worry about money; 2) who are dirt poor and had "investors" or "patrons" to support them while they created; or 3) had a regular job and just exercised their creativity as a sideline.

Most of all, artists are the heart of any society. Without them---whether they write or perform music, paint, write books, dance---our society would be a very boring place.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              There was a book out years ago titled: "What you think about me is none of my business" by Terry Cole-Whittaker... who wrote it, matters not, as much as the point; Trying to please the proletariat is a losing game.
                              Be yourself and those who respect that will be the ones to value as friends.
                              But keep in mind; the 'self' is only that which is in the process of becoming.you say; "well, that is the way i am, and i identify with that behavior, and i ain't agonna change" well, ya just stopped "becoming". and they may as well bury ya now. Cuz this is not life.
                              This is something I am making an effort to learn, and the point that what others think of me is "none of my business" is one I am especially trying to take to heart. Of course, when I write something for my editors or readers, I care tremendously what people think of it. But that's my job and that's where the paycheck comes from so that's why it's important that I generate good responses, reactions, or even constructive criticism for my work.

As it applies to me personally, I have always marched to my own drum, and have always been considered a bit out of synch with the rest of the world. It hurts until you're no longer a teenager. Graduating from high school was liberating because I left behind parochial classmates who tormented me for 13 years. I could finally enjoy my funky self.

Parts of me are quite ordinary, on the surface: mom, drive a van, involved with the school board, even occasionally consider opening a can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup for a recipe (horrors!). But other parts of me are interesting: the surfing, the yoga, the dance mom, the gardener, the person who tells the cashier that no, I actually owe you MORE money than that.

But sometimes I sit like a lump. Sometimes I have nothing to say. Sometimes I'm out of my element, especially around people who are snooty and well heeled. What's so interesting about them, if they cannot open up and find out about me?

It's all give and take. By showing an interest, we become interesting. And here on HT, it's a fun dance to pop in on this thread and that, contribute, watch, jump in again, and make all of these really cool virtual friends.

What is it they say about the Internet? No one knows you're a dog? Who cares what any of us look like? We already know we're interesting!
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X