Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu City Councilwoman/Former Newscaster Barbara Marshall dies

Source

Barbara Marshall, a Honolulu City Council member who first began her career in Honolulu as one of the few woman newscasters, died this morning. She was 64.

Marshall was diagnosed with colon cancer last year, and has remained mostly out of the public eye while undergoing treatment. Marshall was known as tough and relentless, both as the leader of the City Council and as a television news reporter.

As the leader of the City Council, Marshall remained mostly independent from the political divide at the nine-member body. She was one of the two councilmembers who voted against Mayor Mufi Hannemann’s proposed multibillion elevated rail transit system, citing its high costs.

During the rail debate that created much controversy in the community in the summer of 2008, Marshall was diagnosed with colon cancer — her third battle with cancer. That year, she was overwhelmingly re-elected.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Honolulu City Councilwoman/Former Newscaster Barbara Marshall dies

Mrs. Marshall was a great reporter, nevertheless a personal friend. I loved her tireless reporting on the Channel 2 Action Line stories. I got to meet her in 1995 when she joined Kirk Matthews in covering President Clinton's speech at Punchbowl National Cemetery and when she interviewed Medal of Honor recipient Bob Bush.

Terrific woman, god I am going to miss her. I love you Barb!

Comment

Bless your soul Barbara and rest with the angels.

Comment

I had to google her name and when I figured who .......

I remember her, she was indeed a great reporter when she was on KHON.

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/council/d3/hmpg.htm

Comment

One of the best in her chosen professions. Another sad day in Hawaii nei.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Another great newscaster delievering news for Hawaii. I really enjoyed Barbara and her smooth way of talking. Aloha and Mahalo......
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I respected her as a reporter and as a politician; she was tough but fair.
              I knew Barbara and her family rather well through music-related matters. She was a big fan of local music, and at music venues she was always very friendly and outgoing.
              Her memorial service is scheduled for March 14 at 10 a.m. at St. John Lutheran Church in Kailua.
              In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be directed to St. John Lutheran Church, 1004 Kailua Road, Kailua, HI 96734; or Pacific Health Ministry at 1245 Young St., Honolulu, HI 96814.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
              X