American Idol: Season 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Idol: Season 8

Last night had auditions from San Francisco. The last one was a guy named Kai Kalama, from San Clemente. Touching story about he and his mom. He made it through to the next level.
    Bruddah looked local and his name is obviously local. Anybody know any backstory on him?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Last night had auditions from San Francisco. The last one was a guy named Kai Kalama, from San Clemente. Touching story about he and his mom. He made it through to the next level.
      Bruddah looked local and his name is obviously local. Anybody know any backstory on him?
      http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendID=1946227 (MySpace page of his former band). That's all I could find for now.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Watching AI at the moment, and there was a mention that Randy Jackson used to be in Journey. I knew he was a producer but the Journey thing surprised me, so I did a little look-see and found:

While in the Bay Area, Jackson played in bands with Carlos Santana and Jerry Garcia. From 1986 to 1987 he was a member of the rock group Journey. Jackson joined Journey for their 1986 album Raised on Radio and subsequent tour. He moved to Italy in the late 1980s and played on a record by Italian pop star Zucchero. The record, Zucchero and the Randy Jackson Band, was produced by Corrado Rustici who played guitar with Randy on many albums in the early 80's and who became Zucchero's producer for 15 years creating Zucchero's biggest albums of his career.
        In 1985, Keith Richards was asked to provide music for the Whoopi Goldberg comedy vehicle, "Jumpin' Jack Flash". Richards assembled an all-star band which included Aretha Franklin on piano and lead vocals and Randy Jackson on bass guitar. This song was the fourth track on Aretha's 1986 album titled "Aretha". Randy can be seen in the song's video.
        Jackson was the bass guitarist on the 1991 self-titled Divinyls album (which features the song "I Touch Myself") as well as featured bassist on several tracks of Tracy Chapman's 1992 release, Matters of the Heart. He performed on the singles "Bang Bang Bang", "Open Arms", and "Dreaming on a World". That same year, Jackson also played bass on Bruce Springsteen's hit "Human Touch".
        Jackson has recorded, produced, or toured with many well-known artists and bands, ranging from Mariah Carey (he has been her musical director for a number of her tours; he was in her band at Live 8 in London in 2005) to *NSYNC, Whitney Houston, (produced) Dionne Farris'(critically acclaimed debut CD, Wild-Seed Wild-Flower), Céline Dion, Fergie (dating back to her days in Wild Orchid), Stryper, Whitesnake (he took over when former bassist broke his arm for a couple shows in the late 80s), and Madonna (he played some bass on her album "Like a Prayer" although not on the single of the same name).
        Jackson played numerous times in Jean-Luc Ponty's backing band. His credits as a session musician range from playing with Aretha Franklin, Roger Waters, Bruce Springsteen, Journey, George Michael, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Billy Cobham, Blue Öyster Cult, Herbie Hancock, Richard Marx, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Michael Bolton, and Bob Dylan to playing at the Grand Ole Opry with The Charlie Daniels Band. His production/songwriting work in the San Francisco Bay Area with Narada Michael Walden and Walter Afanasieff led Jackson to be in demand as a producer as well.
        He has also worked as an executive, spending eight years as vice president of artists and repertoire (A&R) at Columbia Records and four years heading A&R at MCA Records.

That's one heckuva resume.

Comment

Jackson rocking the DAWG!!
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

I'm such a Randy Jackson fan and have, on occasion, wondered what a relationship between Randy and Queen Latifa would be like!!! She's great, too. I mean, both are the epitome of cool! Would it be a who-can-out-cool-who competition, do ya think?!

Anyway, after tonight's competition I'm pulling for 17 year old Rose who was orphaned by the age of 15. She tugged at my heartstrings. I also like the gal, can't remember her name, who had a Duffy quality about her.

I'll get more into the show, meaning undivided attention, once it's narrowed down to the top 10.

Comment

The guy with the lion puppet was funny!

Comment

Vote For The Worst leaked the names of the Top 36. Of course there's no guarantee that this is the real Top 36, but they're calling their source very reliable.

http://votefortheworst.com/20090129/..._idol_8_top_36

Kai Kalama is still in the running!
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I'm such a Randy Jackson fan and have, on occasion, wondered what a relationship between Randy and Queen Latifa would be like!!! She's great, too. I mean, both are the epitome of cool! Would it be a who-can-out-cool-who competition, do ya think?!
                  I thought Queen Latifa plays for the other team. Unless my Lezdar is wrong. I had a feeling about Wanda Sykes and not just because it rhymes with d.....

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    I thought Queen Latifa plays for the other team. Unless my Lezdar is wrong. I had a feeling about Wanda Sykes and not just because it rhymes with d.....
                    My curiosity was based 100% on cool factor regardless of any '...dar' factor!

Comment

The top 36 was leaked
                      Adam Lambert
                      Alexander Wagner-Trugman
                      Alexis Grace
                      Allison Iraheta
                      Ann Marie Boskovich
                      Anoop Desai
                      Arianna Ayesha Afsar
                      Brent Keith
                      Casey Carlson
                      Danny Gokey
                      Jackie Tohn
                      Jasmine Murray
                      Jeanine Vailes
                      Jessica Langseth
                      Joanna Pacitti
                      Jorge Nunez
                      Junot Joyner
                      Kai Kalama
                      Kendall Beard
                      Kristen McNamara
                      Kris Allen
                      Lil Rounds
                      Matt Breitzke
                      Matt Giraud
                      Megan Corkrey
                      Michael Sarver (JoesPlace says this is our mystery Michael)
                      Mishavonna Henson
                      Nathaniel Marshall
                      Nick Mitchell
                      Ricky Braddy
                      Scott MacIntyre
                      Stephen Fowler
                      Stevie Wright
                      Taylor Vaifanua
                      Tatiana Del Toro
                      Von Smith

It seems pretty accurate to me...take it with a gain of salt

Flickr

Comment

Kai Kalama made it through. He looks Hawaiian to me

Flickr

Comment

After watching the DVR of last night's show cutting it down to the final 36...
                          I think that the annoying drama queen Tatiana and the punky pierced prancer Nathaniel were both put into the top 36 just for ratings. They'll be controversial, outrageous, amusing, but mostly just annoying. Neither one of them has a snowball's chance in Lahaina.
                          Females may make it to the top 10, but the winner will be a guy.
                          Anoop Desai will make it to the top 10.
                          Scott MacIntyre (the blind guy) and Michael Sarver (the oil rig worker) will both make it to the top 5.
                          Danny Gokey will make it to the top 3. He's the kinda nerdy guy with glasses that Tutu mentioned in post #10 and I agreed in #11.
                          But the winner for this season will be Adam Lambert, the semi punk rocker with very black hair. I'd pick him to win based on his great voice alone, but he also has the look, the attitude, and the stage style. He's shown a good variety of vocal styles, even this early in the game, so unless he somehow screws up big time, he'll win.
                          Go to Vegas and place your bets on that. By this time in season 4, I'd already posted that I picked Carrie Underwood to win it all. Wish I'd bet on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            [...]By this time in season 4, I'd already posted that I picked Carrie Underwood to win it all. Wish I'd bet on that one.
                            Simon, on one of the talk shows, picked Carrie prior to the airing of season 4. Her audition was incredible. As an aside, the gown she wore to last week-end's Grammys and her performance wardrobe were both incredible. I don't know who her stylist is but that person deserves an award of his/her own. Carrie looks fantastic every time I see her...never over the top, always spot on, classy while still sexy. Someone is taking really good care of her. What a great success story she's been...the whole point of AI.

I'm not going to predict who will make it to what place but I do feel Danny (the recent widower) and Scott will make it into the top 10 based on sympathy votes. IOW, they might go further than they would without their back stories. That said, I think they're both talented enough to get that far but I feel Danny is the better singer of the 2. I will, however, predict that as the weeks go by Danny's look will morph more than most...kinda the Clay Aiken effect!!!

I'd guess that the top 36 have to be a somewhat precise mix of ethnicities, gender, age, quirkiness vs "the look", a couple of great back stories, a couple of eye brow raisers and music genre. Sure, ability falls in there but it probably becomes more of a tie breaker, imnsho! It's really, really tough to make those decisions. My analogy is when I cast extras. Using the same # (36), I've had similar criteria (except singing!) thrown at me. It's becomes a 36 piece puzzle where none of the pieces fit but my job is to make them fit! Watching the judges go thru that process got my stomach in knots!!!

Comment

oh my.

Kai's fan group has already decided to call themselves "Kai's Kahunas"

http://myidol.americanidol.com/go/th...S?num=10&pg=13

I linked to the last page but there are 12 more in front of it.
                              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

2/18 results
                                Alexis Michael Danny

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X