Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 9

The fallout from this ruling continues. It appears that the Hawaii Superferry has decided to permanently cease operations. On top of that, according to Nancy Cook- Lauer "Hawaii Superferry: Layoffs begin Friday. Total employment is 161 full and part time employees and 75 contracted employees."
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      What harm to the environment has it caused? None that I am aware of.
      You've made an important point here, without necessarily meaning to - what we are "aware of" often fails to reflect real damage to the environment, which can be on a small, yet cascading, scale. Not saying that is or is not the case with HSF, just that "environmental damage" is not limited to the obvious "we hit a whale"-type scenarios.
      Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      It appears that the Hawaii Superferry has decided to permanently cease operations.
      That's harsh. I wonder if they had some inside knowledge suggesting that the results of the EIS would not reflect well on them, hence the decision to "not fight" any longer. Time may yet tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
        The fallout from this ruling continues. It appears that the Hawaii Superferry has decided to permanently cease operations.
        Well that's just great.

A bunch of overzealous idiots with messed up priorities kill off something that had tremendous benefits to all. The only downside to the Superferry: passengers sometimes barfed. Toss a bucket of THAT into your EIS!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          I wonder if they had some inside knowledge suggesting that the results of the EIS would not reflect well on them, hence the decision to "not fight" any longer. Time may yet tell.
          I don't think so. The problem for the Superferry is the time their business will have to remain idle while the EIS is being conducted. As the Advertiser stated, it could take anywhere from several months to a year for the study to be done, if it has to start from scratch. Maintaining an idle operation costs $$$$, with no revenue coming in.

Much depends on whether the state supreme court allows for any part of the current EIS (which reportedly is near completion) to be salvaged and used in the new EIS. If the Superferry has to start at square one again, it's gonna be a tough road for them to haul.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            That's harsh. I wonder if they had some inside knowledge suggesting that the results of the EIS would not reflect well on them, hence the decision to "not fight" any longer. Time may yet tell.
            Doubt it, there just isn't the patience and financial flexibility anymore. In light of Madoff ponzi schemes, AIG's fleecing of US taxpayers, lack of credit, etc; investors won't wait for an EIS which will take months. The ultimate irony would be to see the vessel painted grey and become a military transport plying the same waters.

People of Hawaii should not complain about the high cost of living, lack of jobs, and limited transport options. It's all self inflicted.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              No kidding! The point wasn’t precedence, it was the fact that Superferry officials to this day have refused to make this fact public!
              Was the vessel any way, shape or form dangerous or hazardous to ride or use? How does transporting 4 wheeled 1/2 ton automobiles between the islands equate to transporting 8 wheeled 19 ton armored personel carriers between a home base and a trouble spot someplace else in the world?

I don't understand why this is an issue. What difference would it make if they made the information public?

Comment

I'm sure the 236 people who just got laid off really care about the politics of it all. They just want jobs again. It's great to preach about ethics and all when you're sitting comfy, but when it affects your well-being on a personal level...

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

The vessel is a military prototype? So what? It makes a good inter-island ferry.

And what's with this dogmatic clinging and upholding of the EIS that "the law is the law"?

I often hear people quote the law as if it was the Bible. They cite law as if it is always perfect and it can never be wrong. But that's simply not true.

I propose that, with regard to the SuperFerry, the law was too restrictive.

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                    I propose that, with regard to the SuperFerry, the law was too restrictive.
                    Hits the nail right on the head.

Fact is too many of our state's laws are restrictive and very bad for business. That is why Hawaii has a reputation of being a lousy place to do business. Too many mandates, restrictive laws, and high taxes are some of the contributing factors that create a bad business climate in the islands.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                      The vessel is a military prototype? So what? It makes a good inter-island ferry.
                      There are military conspiracies everywhere.

The SuperFerry's SWATH hull is relatively new (and expensive) compared to more traditional hulls. The military's HSV is a late-model version being tested for its load & speed, and the Army probably prefers it to the Navy's hovercraft since it can handle the waves & chop better with a bigger load. Hawaii is one of the few places with the open-ocean weather to make it worth testing. SWATHs look pretty cool anywhere but the Mainland's big continental shelf makes more traditional hulls much more cost-effective.

SWATH hulls are pretty darn expensive to build, maintain, & operate, but they're worth the capital expense for their handling and stability. However for you military-conspiracy fans, what are those pods under the NAVATEK really used for-- are they fuel tanks, water ballast, or... torpedo launchers?!?

As for Lehman & Fargo, I personally think that Lehman has all the morals & ethics of a rabid weasel but Fargo's a good guy. Submariners don't get to put on four stars and be PACOM without developing a few skills, and Fargo was probably given SuperFerry job because he's accustomed to being handed an overstuffed bag of crap and salvaging something from it. He retired from the Navy at the top of his game and still doesn't want to turn it off. Look at other local retired flag officers like Ron Hays, Zap Zlatoper, & Bob Kihune-- still working & contributing well past the point where it's financially necessary. If they haven't engineered a coup yet then I don't think they're going to need SuperFerry or Fargo to put their secret plans over the top...

I'd be far more concerned about the evil schemes of Aquadelica's owners!
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        Hits the nail right on the head.

Fact is too many of our state's laws are restrictive and very bad for business. That is why Hawaii has a reputation of being a lousy place to do business. Too many mandates, restrictive laws, and high taxes are some of the contributing factors that create a bad business climate in the islands.

Yeesh. Then change the law. Until then the law stands and that's how we operate.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                          I'd be far more concerned about the evil schemes of Aquadelica's owners!
                          Tell me about it. You know those guys too? Better yet, ever hear of the Shagadelica?

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino View Post
                            Yeesh. Then change the law. Until then the law stands and that's how we operate.
                            Every year Republicans have led the charge to change some of our restrictive laws and ease the tax burden.

And every year Democrats ignore those bills that do so and in fact introduce more bills and pass more laws that further restrict business and impose higher taxes! This is why Hawaii is such a frakken basket case when it come time to do some serious business.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with military applications applied to civilian ships as long as the military pays the firm supplying the ship. And now for you myopic Superferry opponents, the possibility is there that Hawaii Superferry could sell both ships to the military for 100% use all of the time by the military.

I love our Military. God Bless America. Land of the free. Home of the Brave.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino View Post
                              Until then the law stands and that's how we operate.
                              I have to agree with that statement. We are a nation built on a system of laws; we don't necessarily like or agree with all of them, and we have the means to try and change them. But until then, for the greater good, we follow them - we don't get to pick and choose which laws suit our personal desires.

In such a unique environment as that of the Hawaiian Islands, it is even more critical that legal protection of local flora and fauna be observed. It is an understatement to call the SuperFerry situation "unfortunate." It could have provided an excellent ongoing service to Hawai`i and its people.

Be it due to the efforts of HSF or of the Lingle Administration, if you're looking at who to blame for this debacle, blame those who made such an extensive effort to circumvent regulation in the first place, not those who insisted that the laws already in place be followed.

Comment

While I have nothing factual to add to the conversation, I'm totally bummed about this. We're going to Maui in 3 weeks for my son's first birthday and I had SF tickets for all of us and the car. I was sooooooooooo excited to finally be able to ride the SF and it would've made our vacation so much smoother because packing the car is much easier than packing to fly (if that makes sense).

I dunno if I should go ahead and get my refund now and reserve our plane tickets and rental car or if I should wait if by some miracle they win their appeal before April. I have a feeling that waiting won't do any good.

Comment

Working...
                                X