Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: American Idol Season 7 (2008)

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Yes, tons of audio problems last night.[...] So yes, Tutu, definitely a problem at AI's end, not yours.
    It never occurred to me that the problem was on the show's end. It reminded me of a casting tape edit I did in iMovie last week. When I exported the final edit back to the camera it was full of audio drops and the entire edit was out of sync. Turned out to be a hardware problem so naturally thought last night's mess was the same thing! I'm still untechie!

Comment

I just reviewed David Archuleta's performances from this week. My take on him is that he's worked very hard over the years on his voice performance. It's just so good. But, dang, there's just no entertainment value/stage performance there...yet. He seems so sweet and vulnerable. Without a few more years under his belt I think the business will eat him alive. The kid's got plenty of time. He just doesn't seem emotionally ready yet. And, as I mentioned in a previous post...no pizzazz.

This past Sunday evening I co-judged a keiki singing contest for divisions 6-9 years and 10-12 years. I'm not a fan of children competing in talent contests but this particular contest is very gentle and nurturing for the kids. The winners of the 2 divisions just happen to be sisters. I watched their videos just before Archuleta's and...what a difference. By nature of their ages their vocal chops are nowhere close to Archuleta's. But where they surpass DA is in stage performance. The 7 year old and the 11 year old are born entertainers. I wish I could show you those videos. I can't yet due to future contests in which they'll both participate. But, you can see a previous performance by the 11 year old.

The 7 year old absolutely brought the house down. The other judge and I sat there stunned.
      seven
      years
      old

Comment

all you castro fans, sorry but i'm glad to have him gone. i just don't understand his appeal. ah, too each his own.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Neil Diamond's live performance on AI also had lots of audio drops.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

No comments about last night's show?
            The finale, as most of you expected, is David & David.
            Cook should win it, but it was very revealing watching each of the final three visiting their home towns and seeing how the bulk of the crowds were really young children.
            Pre-teens.
            Great judges of talent.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Last night's show was predictable plus there were no real highlights; good but not mind blowing performances. I may have to vote next week. I'd never forgive myself if Cook lost by one vote!

Syesha is a class act. I hope she accomplishes her dream. She has a good start.

Comment

I'm too tired to go through the trouble of posting the song spoilers, but I just want Tutusue to know that David Cook is singing an amazing song tomorrow night.

I will be taking my son to karate, however, so I'll have to watch the 2 Davids' performances on youtube.

I think Cook has it in the bag for the win, although both of them, from what I've read, will get recording contracts.

---
                Also, I came across an article that had all of the record sales data for the various American Idol contestants. Clarkson has sold the most, then Carrie Underwood--although I'm sure she'll eclipse Clarkson soon, and then Clay Aiken (and that was a surprise).
                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                  I'm too tired to go through the trouble of posting the song spoilers, but I just want Tutusue to know that David Cook is singing an amazing song tomorrow night.

I will be taking my son to karate, however, so I'll have to watch the 2 Davids' performances on youtube.

I think Cook has it in the bag for the win, although both of them, from what I've read, will get recording contracts.

---
                  Also, I came across an article that had all of the record sales data for the various American Idol contestants. Clarkson has sold the most, then Carrie Underwood--although I'm sure she'll eclipse Clarkson soon, and then Clay Aiken (and that was a surprise).
                  I won't be able to watch the show tonight so I'll DVR it. Thanks for the heads up.

Considering the names of the most successful Idol contestants (look at the first letters of either the first or the last names), David Cook should have it in the bag.

Comment

Cook did well, but his song choices were weak, not dynamic at all, and didn't show off his range and versatility.
                    Archuleta's songs did let him show those things, so I think he probably won the night.
                    Cook seemed resigned to coming in second in the final vote, and Archuleta just seems to want the title more than Cook.
                    The teenybopper and pre-teen vote will give the final victory to Archuleta, even though he's basically a "one trick pony."
                    Who do I think should win, and who would I pay to go see? Cook, absolutely.

Comment

Who do I want to win? David Cook. Who do I think will win? The other guy. There are just too many prepubescent girls with phones and free time.

I want Cook to win because I like his sound better, and definitely think he'll sell more CDs or downloads or holograms or concert tickets or whatever.

I don't want Archuleta to win because... well, there's this.

Comment

Winner
                        So, Cook won. But I suspect he might have been better off being free to make his own deal instead of being stuck with the AI deal and he already got all the exposure he needs. In any event, I'm sure both David's will do well with their careers if they continue on.

Comment

The teenybopper and pre-teen vote will give the final victory to Archuleta, even though he's basically a "one trick pony."
                          Who do I think should win, and who would I pay to go see? Cook, absolutely.
                          I'm glad (and oh so surprised) that my prediction was wrong!
                          56% for Cook and 44% for Archuleta. Cook won by 12 million votes. And geez, 97-1/2 million votes total... more than 20 million higher than the previous record. That's astounding.
                          And I thought the finale was an extemely entertaining show. Carrie Underwood was HOT (in many different ways)... I liked Brooke White doing "Teach" with Graham Nash... and David Cook with ZZ Top was terrific.
                          What was your favorite part?

Comment

It rained so hard tonight. We lost power around 7:45 and just got it back. Mapunapuna, Salt Lake, and Moanalua were the areas affected.

Mom was so so so disappointed....and ANGRY. She faithfully watched AI7 this whole season and was a big David Cook fan.

What really sucked was that only us in the crater didn't have any power. The people up the hill did, and that hurt even more.

Hopefully I'll be able to find some Finale stuff online so she can watch it.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                              Who do I want to win? David Cook. Who do I think will win? The other guy. There are just too many prepubescent girls with phones and free time.

I want Cook to win because I like his sound better, and definitely think he'll sell more CDs or downloads or holograms or concert tickets or whatever.

I don't want Archuleta to win because... well, there's this.
                              Ditto on the first two parapgraphs. And I'm glad to see it was Cook.

Especially after reading the link about your flight with "Retarduleta". What was that guy thinking?!!! It's surprising we didn't read about your incident in headline news. But gotta' dig the "visual" you provided with the Thriller "shoulder-punch" vidcap. lol!

What was very evident last night was that all those big-ticket guest artists were using the finale as a BIG TIME marketing tool to promote their new endeavors. From George Michael's new world tour, to Bryan Adams and Donna Summers' new albums, to ZZ Top's Eliminator CD/DVD Collector's edition, due out this June. It almost wouldn't be surprising if THEY paid AI to perform on the show.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the finale, and can't wait for season 8. Hopefully they'll stop back in Hawaii again for auditions! I'll go audition and try to beat out Renaldo Lapuz as best of the worst.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm glad (and oh so surprised) that my prediction was wrong!
                                56% for Cook and 44% for Archuleta. Cook won by 12 million votes. And geez, 97-1/2 million votes total... more than 20 million higher than the previous record. That's astounding.
                                And I thought the finale was an extemely entertaining show. Carrie Underwood was HOT (in many different ways)... I liked Brooke White doing "Teach" with Graham Nash... and David Cook with ZZ Top was terrific.
                                What was your favorite part?
                                I'm so glad to see that my 3 votes DID make a difference! I tried many more times than that until 11p but got thru only those 3 times. That told me Cook was on a roll!

My favorite part? The announcement that Cook WON! Dayam, that was just. so. right! Archuleta is in no way emotionally ready for the rigors of the biz. And the biz is probably not ready for Archuleta's stage dad.

I absolutely loved the Cook/ZZ number. Hot!

As I've said many times on HT before, I'm not a country music fan at all. But, I'll listen to anything Carrie Underwood sings. Even better is watching her sing. I don't know who's responsible for surrounding her with top notch people (wardrobe, make-up, hair, performance...not to mention her song choices!) but she is definitely the complete package.

Whoever wardrobed Jordin Sparks last night needs to go back to fashion school. Sparks is a big gal and needs to be wardrobed appropriately.

I wish Blake Lewis had performed. I saw on the news last week (KHON?) that Lewis left the show a bit bitter. Apparently, he asked to put his own twist on the final song that both he and Sparks had to sing. As written, it was definitely a Sparks type song and nothing close to Lewis' type. AI told Lewis he could not stylize it. I woulda loved to see what he could've done with that song.

Both eldest and youngest spawn attended the finale. I haven't heard from either since before they left for the show. Let's see...Archuleta is too young for them. Hmmm...so is Cook. I'm reasonably certain my kids aren't in groupie mode! So, where the heck are they?
                                Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                [...]
                                What was very evident last night was that all those big-ticket guest artists were using the finale as a BIG TIME marketing tool to promote their new endeavors. From George Michael's new world tour, to Bryan Adams and Donna Summers' new albums, to ZZ Top's Eliminator CD/DVD Collector's edition, due out this June. It almost wouldn't be surprising if THEY paid AI to perform on the show.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the finale, and can't wait for season 8. Hopefully they'll stop back in Hawaii again for auditions! I'll go audition and try to beat out Renaldo Lapuz as best of the worst.
                                I find AI's product and promotional placements to be brilliant. That's one of the reasons it's so financially successful. You might be right, Pomai...possibly a promotional fee was paid by the artists record labels. It'd be worth it based on the size of the viewing public.

I'd be surprised if AI came back to Honolulu.

Comment

Working...
                                X