Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
    Hawaii Smokers alliance IS NOT in any way connected with the tobacco industry or National Smoker's Alliance and the fact that our name is similiar is just a coincidence. We pride ourselves as being grass roots and refusing to be paid. There isn't even a treasury. We want smokers to have their dignity back, owners to choose, and businesses/ employees to stop getting strangled by this law.
    Then for the sake of clarity I suggest the Hawaii Smokers Alliance should change their name as it's more similar than coincidence. The fact that there is a National Smokers Alliance suggests local chapters in each state like Hawaii's where there is a ban.

Otherwise there wil be an affiliation assumption that will hurt this cause you project to us here on HT.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Then for the sake of clarity I suggest the Hawaii Smokers Alliance should change their name as it's more similar than coincidence. The fact that there is a National Smokers Alliance suggests local chapters in each state like Hawaii's where there is a ban.

Otherwise there wil be an affiliation assumption that will hurt this cause you project to us here on HT.
      Thanks, for the comment. We didn't realize that because we have zero contact with the tobacco industry. Don't get me wrong, the tobacco industry is all well and good in our opinions, however being independent and locally based raises our credibility alot, since the antis first response to information they don't like is "Well it's 'big' tobacco lying again". Well we aren't going to make it so easy for you antis . Actually are formal name is "Americans for Freedom of Choice" and Hawaii Smokers Alliance is a sub-title.

Anyhow, good point, maybe we will discuss this matter. Mahalo.

Comment

I the name of bars being able to put their customer's needs first, it would be seemly to incourage them to join the new "Hawaii Bar Owners Association". What's good for owners is good for custumers and vice versa.

The owner(s) of O'tools and 2 other bars is heading up the new association. They already have dozens of members. The owner of that bar could be contacted for more information.

Oh yes, they are very opposed to the ban. Not much love for more taxes, bottle bill, over zealous liquor commission, ect. These fines and taxes alot of time get passed on to the customer, just like any other business.
        Last edited by AlohaKine; January 20, 2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

AlohaKine, has your group sought any publicity or coverage in the local media for your movement? Mind you, I'm all for the smoking ban for most public places, but can see how owners of private establishments should be able to decide policy for themselves. But we certainly could hear more from folks who oppose the new restrictions outright.

Sure seems the anti-smoking folks have the more active or connected PR machines (to think the tobacco lobby was once the dominant power). Latest bit of "news" from the Honolulu Advertiser...

Hawai'i helped nation reach smoke-free milestone
          For the first time in the nation's history, more than half of Americans live in a city or state with laws mandating that workplaces, restaurants or bars be smoke-free, according to Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights. "The movement for smoke-free air has gone from being a California oddity to the nationwide norm," said Bronson Frick, the group's associate director. "We think 100 percent of Americans will live in smoke-free jurisdictions within a few years."
          The Honolulu Advertiser has shown no resistance to publishing press releases verbatim. The Hawaii Bar Owners Association and Hawaii Smokers Alliance should send along some propaganda of its own!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            AlohaKine, has your group sought any publicity or coverage in the local media for your movement? Mind you, I'm all for the smoking ban for most public places, but can see how owners of private establishments should be able to decide policy for themselves. But we certainly could hear more from folks who oppose the new restrictions outright.

Sure seems the anti-smoking folks have the more active or connected PR machines (to think the tobacco lobby was once the dominant power). Latest bit of "news" from the Honolulu Advertiser...

Hawai'i helped nation reach smoke-free milestone
            The Honolulu Advertiser has shown no resistance to publishing press releases verbatim. The Hawaii Bar Owners Association and Hawaii Smokers Alliance should send along some propaganda of its own!
            It's coming. The trouble is that editors sometimes have opinions on what to print and what to leave out. Just like when the white house staffer got rolled outside of Bobby G's, we had to beat the bushs to find out that he was loitering there just to have a smoke outside - why did the media downplay that? There will probably be an article in the next Honolulu Weekly for starters.

As for the stated article, it is sad that now the majority of Americans now live under oppression. It gets printed cause they have claut, lots of largely extorted money, hold positions, and it is PC. I helped start this group to end this ban and to expose the antis for the liars and business butchers they really are.
            Last edited by AlohaKine; January 20, 2007, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

I heard today that the NSA stopped getting funding from PM a few years ago and has ceased to exist, so no problem for us.

Comment

From what I read about Phillip Morris they are still funding NSA but aren't actively involved anymore.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Apparently the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company has kind of pulled back from advocating that smoking be allowed everywhere and is concentrating its efforts on keeping strip clubs and bars (aka "adult-only entertainment centers") smoking optional. But they've pretty much given up on restaurants and bars which are part of a restaurant.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

$8 Million in grants for Hawai`i anti-smoking efforts

Comment

Can you say BIG Anti-smoking. HSA is just regular working folks and small business owners.

Comment

• Roflmao!

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        Apparently the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company has kind of pulled back from advocating that smoking be allowed everywhere and is concentrating its efforts on keeping strip clubs and bars (aka "adult-only entertainment centers") smoking optional. But they've pretty much given up on restaurants and bars which are part of a restaurant.

Miulang
                        OK did some poking around and found the legislation...... <drum roll> SB218 2007

WARNING: This link may contain content that has the potential to offend if you are squeamish about descriptions of "adult" entertainment so DON'T LOOK IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT IN THE MATTER.

The bill was intro'd by Sen. Sam Slom (R)

Things that made me chortle:

The subject of the bill, "Relating to Smoking", since most of the bill is a description of adult-entertainment venues and not smoking.

Details..... the bill gets pretty graphic with its descriptions of adult-entertainment

fekking hilarious

I'll say this Alohakine, your friends seeking to overturn the ban must spend A LOT of time in some less-than-savory places.

Comment

• Re: Roflmao!

Originally posted by Deep Thought View Post
                          OK did some poking around and found the legislation...... <drum roll> SB218 2007

WARNING: This link may contain content that has the potential to offend if you are squeamish about descriptions of "adult" entertainment so DON'T LOOK IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT IN THE MATTER.

The subject of the bill, "Relating to Smoking", since most of the bill is a description of adult-entertainment venues and not smoking.

Details..... the bill gets pretty graphic with its descriptions of adult-entertainment

fekking hilarious

I'll say this Alohakine, your friends seeking to overturn the ban must spend A LOT of time in some less-than-savory places.
                          Gee, Hawai'i regs allow lap dancing and "other" activities in strip clubs? Up here, patrons can't smoke cigarettes or cigars or drink alcoholic beverages, and the ladies up on the stage have to stay at least 4 feet away from the customers!

Miulang

P.S. I think this bill should be modified further and disallow prisoners from smoking too. If you're going to punish them for their crimes, make the punishment complete...no ciggies, and make them eat awful food and wear pink underwear, too!
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Gee, Hawai'i regs allow lap dancing and "other" activities in strip clubs?
                            Nope. But it was a smart move to include that wording in the bill just in case the liquor laws change to allow it again.

Comment

If you're going to punish them for their crimes, make the punishment complete...no ciggies, and make them eat awful food
                              Oh, they do. Anyone ever hear that prisoners are fed good food? Nope.

and wear pink underwear, too!
                              I hear that a lot of prisoners do that too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Thought View Post

fekking hilarious

He got part 3 straight out of the liquor commission rules prohibitions section, word for word.

Comment

Working...
                                X