Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Regardless, with no name to authenticate your story, it's like reading a resume with no names to back it's claim..."yeah I got a degree at some college I'd rather not say but I got a great reference letter from my old boss from another company I'd rather not mention".

I'd like to believe you but you need to substantiate your sources before I can believe it without a doubt. But from a smoker's perspective I do agree it was a point for smokers and would make for a great line in a movie.

And quite honestly though, as non-smoker if I were him I would have picked my battles better than how he conducted himself. There are ways to communicate to others and that wasn't an effective method.
    I suppose you're entitled to your skepticism. I certainly don't mind whether or not you believe my little anecdote.

And you're right, there are definitely more effective ways to communicate than the mope in question chose. For the record, I didn't light up the whole time he was ranting, which was my first impulse. But regardless of the fact that this turkey didn't deserve it, I respected his non-smoker status.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

I'd like to believe you but you need to substantiate your sources before I can believe it without a doubt.
      Well, it's a good thing you're not working for the state, I guess.

IMO, I think jdub is telling the truth. And I already got a pretty good idea of where his local neighborhood watering hole is, so I don't need to see him burn any bridges in order to believe him "without a doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
        § -12 Penalties
        (g) In addition to the fines established by this section, violation of this chapter by a person who owns, manages, operates, or otherwise controls any place or facility designated by this chapter may result in the suspension or revocation of any permit or license issued to the person or the place for the premises on which the violation occurred.
        Under the law itself SB3262, violation is section 9 ( no signage ), 11d, failure to inform people of the provisions of the law ( inform them doesn't mean stop them ), AND if the owner or manager is caught smoking personally, ( not employees or customers ). If the owner repeatedly violates these things AND the administrative rules are in place ( not quite yet ), then fines, suspensions, and revocations can occur.

Oh yes, ashtrays are NOT forbidden anywhere in the law. They just show contempt, but are not illegal, if they are left out. In some mainland laws, just having an ashtray on the bar, even unused, equals a fine.

From Alohakine - SB3262 resident expert.
        - It is seemly to know everything about what is truely loved and truely hated. Quote of the day.
        Last edited by AlohaKine; January 12, 2007, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post

IMO, I think jdub is telling the truth. And I already got a pretty good idea of where his local neighborhood watering hole is, so I don't need to see him burn any bridges in order to believe him "without a doubt."
          Well he did say he get's his paycheck from there so I can appreciate why the non-disclosure.

Now for my former employer The Gas Company, there was a good reason for no smoking when conducting your business
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post

jdub is correct. I know about what he's saying from multiple sources / groups. But again it ain't for public broadcast.

Comment

Now for my former employer The Gas Company, there was a good reason for no smoking when conducting your business
              New theme-song while searching for a gas leak: "WHOOMP! There it is!"

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                From Alohakine - SB3262 resident expert.
                - It is seemly to know everything about what is truely loved and truely hated. Quote of the day.
                If you're such an expert you would know who the primary proponents of the ban are. Then you would understand just why it won't be repealed.
                Last edited by Deep Thought; January 13, 2007, 07:38 AM. Reason: poor spelling skills

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Thought View Post
                  If you're such an expert you would know who the primary proponents of the ban are. Then you would understand just why it won't be repealed.
                  I'm no expert, but I know who the proponents of the ban are. Don't be so sure that the law won't be repealed.

And I love how certain users on HT continue to de-rail threads with stupid one-liners and off-topic posts. Auwe.

Comment

Under the law itself SB3262, violation is section 9 ( no signage ), 11d, failure to inform people of the provisions of the law ( inform them doesn't mean stop them ), AND if the owner or manager is caught smoking personally, ( not employees or customers ). If the owner repeatedly violates these things AND the administrative rules are in place ( not quite yet ), then fines, suspensions, and revocations can occur.
                    Sect 12, Penalties, states that that violations can result in revocation of permits/licenses. It does not state that "all" violations must occur. And, it does not state the the owner/manager must be caught smoking. The law states that revocation can occur for any of the violations (it need not be an accumulation of many different types of violations).

It is interesting that some will break the law because they can "get away" with it for now.

AK and PaloloJoe, an update please, which legislator will be introducing the bill to repeal the law?

Comment

In the KHON-2 website article it says that fines will not be issued to anybody for a year. http://www.khon2.com/news/local/5190162.html . I talked to the DOH and they said it would be a few months and not a year.

Sign the petition for repeal circulated at the bars. Repeal or bar exemption can happen, and the undercurrents will probably surface in next weeks edition of the Honolulu Weekly for the first time.

Say no to the Hawaii Smoke Free Law SB-3262. Just like litter, help put SB-3262 in its' place.

Alohakine-Member- Hawaii Smokers Alliance. Support Freedom of Choice.

Comment

Alohakine-Member- Hawaii Smokers Alliance. Support Freedom of Choice.

And here's some info on the National Smoker's Alliance:

http://www.no-smoke.org/getthefacts.php?id=95

And some balance: http://tobaccodocuments.org/pm/2023342415-2420.html
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

And here's some info on the National Smoker's Alliance:

http://www.no-smoke.org/getthefacts.php?id=95

And some balance: http://tobaccodocuments.org/pm/2023342415-2420.html
                          Hawaii Smokers alliance IS NOT in any way connected with the tobacco industry or National Smoker's Alliance and the fact that our name is similiar is just a coincidence. We pride ourselves as being grass roots and refusing to be paid. There isn't even a treasury. We want smokers to have their dignity back, owners to choose, and businesses/ employees to stop getting strangled by this law.
                          Last edited by AlohaKine; January 19, 2007, 06:01 PM.

Comment

It's beginning to start. HB198 got introduced to allow smoking in part of private clubs and SB218 to allow smoking in strip bars.

Oh, by the way, I think the Coalition for tobacco free hawaii knows that bars are getting hurt. When will they openly admit it?
                            Last edited by AlohaKine; January 19, 2007, 05:56 PM.

Comment

You have not read anything yet until you've read Sen.Slom's bill and the description of an "adult entertainment business". Warning: Definitely not for the meek, or children.
                              http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...lls/SB218_.htm

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                                You have not read anything yet until you've read Sen.Slom's bill and the description of an "adult entertainment business". Warning: Definitely not for the meek, or children.
                                http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...lls/SB218_.htm
                                I read it. Maybe it's for people that like adult businesses. Yes, it needs some fine tuning.

Comment

Working...
                                X