How does one run for politics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How does one run for politics?

Even if you are completely prepared, well-financed, well-organized AND in touch with your district you can lose because of things not even related to the race you are running in. Luck and a willingness to be stressed out and possibly groundlessly maligned. Sounds fun doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Thought View Post
      Even if you are completely prepared, well-financed, well-organized AND in touch with your district you can lose because of things not even related to the race you are running in. Luck and a willingness to be stressed out and possibly groundlessly maligned. Sounds fun doesn't it?
      MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTION:

To run for office, one must be:
      A) Crazy
      B) Egomaniacal
      C) Ignorant
      D) Naive
      E) All of the above
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post

A) Crazy
        B) Egomaniacal
        C) Ignorant
        D) Naive
        E) All of the above
        You forgot: Chaste Virgin
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Something else you need to consider is what happens if you loose. Might ask that question to Diana Hansen-Young. Way back when, when she used to be just "Diana Hansen", she held office representing the Windward side. She did well. Then she decided to move up an office. As she told it she was starting to think kinda highly of herself. I think she was in her younger 20's at the time. So she ran against Patsy Mink. She lost. She then discovered that absolutely no one would hire an ex-politician. They were worried there was some ulterior motive. She couldn't even get a job at McDonald's. In her effort to support herself she turned to art (her parents owned a framing store in Kailua.) And that's how we know her today. But for awhile it was really nasty. She spoke of having to choose between buying dog food to feed her dogs or using the money for bus fare to go to her parents house so she could be fed.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
            I was curious what it takes to run for local politics?
            Apathy is a big problem in Hawaii.
            apathy rules. but who cares?

i would be more concerned about running away from politics.

It's a big nasty snakepit. but good luck if it's a better scenario for ya there...

as we talked about before; small keed time, Diana Hansen was a good family friend (next door neighbor, went to our church, da whole ting, li'dat) and we all campaigned with and for her. da whole Lanikai ohana. and back then even we dumb lil keiki thot; whass dis nice wahine goin into dis kine job for?! we knew it would chew her up and spit her out.
            Last edited by kimo55; January 4, 2007, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
              "oh crap, i just got mail that i have to serve as governer next year... Can I get out of it like jury duty?"
              I give up. What's worse, someone too dumb to duck the job or someone who wants the job?

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                Sigh. I could never run for office. Hmmmm.
                Between the skeletons and the reporters seeking them, no room for clothes in that closet, eh? That would be my problem. You, on the other hand, have a big paper trail of speaking your mind, no? I think you already made the better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Between the skeletons and the reporters seeking them, no room for clothes in that closet, eh? That would be my problem. You, on the other hand, have a big paper trail of speaking your mind, no? I think you already made the better choice.
                  What's scary is that LG could win, regardless of whatever skeletons she may have in her closet. Or in her afro. In my good fortune, I've had an opportunity to work with her, and frankly, I find her utterly inscrutable. LG's just too smart to get into the snakepit with bare feet.
                  Don't be mean,
                  try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    And would you worry if somebody tried to dig up dirt on you?
                    I gotta kick outta that statement! Sure I'd worry about that...but what can one do about it? I have a small mountain of dirt that could be found about me. But equally impressive is the mountain of compliments I have over the years for my community service through being a "Waikiki Beachboy". I work closely with 'Make a Wish Foundation', and other groups striving to make the quality of life a little bit better for all human beings. I also take out this other group from Florida like make a wish. But what makes this place different is all the kids are HIV positive. They have been coming to me for years instead going to Disneyland, etc,etc..
                    So through my job I have been mending the fences I busted us during my youth.

Hey, I'm no weirdo trying to make a political statement here. I just see a chance to make a difference, and wanna try. I'm a Democrat by party, but I find myself socially progressive, and fiscally conservative. I wanna infuse new blood into the Democratic Party, kick out the "old boy network", that is just hanging around to collect a paycheck. I wanna see results!!! The Big Island is just another one of the outer islands almost destroyed by apathy. But it doesn't have to be that way either!!! We, all of us can change the direction of our state, county, community, neighborhood. But it won't get done sitting back and bitching about problems behind a Budweiser after work. We have to get involved with our communities otherwise we will wake up one day with nothing. So I wanna try to stop that nighmare from happening, and to do so by running for office.

Sure, exposure is important if one wants to get elected. But I'd be one of those guys seeking office that would do so without "deep pockets". What I see the problem today is. Most people running for office have these so-called deep pockets. That's why most voters have a hard time relating to the candidates running for office. Look at the last Presidential Race, all candidates were millionaires!!! I mean isn't that sad. What did most of us share in common with these guys?

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post

A) Crazy
                      B) Egomaniacal
                      C) Ignorant
                      D) Naive
                      E) All of the above
                      sorry, I'm actualy none of the above. But my views have changed after 9/11, like so many of us have. But I'm not one who wants to run down and enlist in the military. I wanted to make a difference somehow?

I could go back to being an Osterich, and just bury my head when problems arise. But Hawaii has enough of them already..

Comment

Sure, exposure is important if one wants to get elected. But I'd be one of those guys seeking office that would do so without "deep pockets". What I see the problem today is. Most people running for office have these so-called deep pockets. That's why most voters have a hard time relating to the candidates running for office. Look at the last Presidential Race, all candidates were millionaires!!! I mean isn't that sad. What did most of us share in common with these guys?
                        When you move to the Big Island, see if you can get an interview with Harry Kim, the Mayor. Ask him why he decided to run for Mayor and how he managed to get enough support in 2000 to be elected. Should be an interesting conversation (if you can get the time to speak with him) because his image (and maybe the HT folks on the Big Island can comment on this) is one of a guy who didn't start out being a politician (he was in the bureaucracy, though, as Civil Defense Director for many years) and who appealed to the "common people". On principle, he didn't accept large cash contributions to his campaign, either. He had to "choose" a political party to represent in 2000 so he chose to run as a Republican, but my guess is his values lean more toward the Democrats, even though Big Island elections are now non partisan (like they are on Maui).

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The Big Island is just another one of the outer islands almost destroyed by apathy.

Close, but no cigar.

Hawaii Island is just another one of the outer islands being destroyed by activism, rooted in ignorance. Liberalism has caused a dwelling crisis, a traffic nightmare, a "fakey-to-Ralph" recycling program that squanders million$, a bloated beauracracy, an undisciplined school system where the inmates run the asylum, and several other major problems. 35 years of The Politics of NO is starting to take a toll on society in general throughout the USA.

The importance of blind propaganda, feel good dogma, and wishful thinking cannot be overstated, especially in a liberal bastion like Hawaii Island.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I love your enthusiasm and desire to make a difference, BB. Just curious, tho'...won't being so new to the Big Island hurt your cause? And, a thought on the "dirt" situation. Maybe air it before others can find it! That way you air it on your terms and aren't backed into a defensive situation. Maybe take some time on the BI to volunteer, get your name and reputation out there, air your "dirt" at appropriate times then...go for it!

Just my 2¢. Feel free to give me change!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              The Big Island is just another one of the outer islands almost destroyed by apathy.

Close, but no cigar.

Hawaii Island is just another one of the outer islands being destroyed by activism, rooted in ignorance. Liberalism has caused a dwelling crisis, a traffic nightmare, a "fakey-to-Ralph" recycling program that squanders million$, a bloated beauracracy, an undisciplined school system where the inmates run the asylum, and several other major problems. 35 years of The Politics of NO is starting to take a toll on society in general throughout the USA.

The importance of blind propaganda, feel good dogma, and wishful thinking cannot be overstated, especially in a liberal bastion like Hawaii Island.
                              I think there are pockets of liberalism on the Big Island (for sure in Kona and possibly Hilo, for instance) but my guess is the island on the whole is pretty conservative. When you get lots of outsiders moving in is when you start seeing the liberals pop up like toadstools after a heavy rain, and mostly the changes the malihini want are meant to make things suit them, not the locals.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

sorry, I'm actualy none of the above. But my views have changed after 9/11, like so many of us have. But I'm not one who wants to run down and enlist in the military. I wanted to make a difference somehow?

I could go back to being an Osterich, and just bury my head when problems arise. But Hawaii has enough of them already..
                                I'd suggest that if you'd like to get into politics because you want to make a difference, then perhaps you should make a difference before you try to get into politics. Pick your issue and do some community service work. Get to know people who care about the same issues as you, and let them get to know you. Think of it as preliminary campaigning, if you must, but I suspect that once you become involved in your new community, just helping will be enough, particularly when you see that corpulent government bureaucracy fears and resists change like an someone with severe OCD.
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X