New smoking ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

It's fun and exciting to openly defy the smoking ban in bars. Did it again last night, in plain view, right at the bar, and the owner let me. Only for one cig. however. Totally fun cause nobody else had the guts to do it. People were looking and probably thinking how can that cat get away with it. Smoking now is cooler than it's ever been.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      What I wonder is how come the smokers on the Neighbor Islands do not seem to be making a loud stink about the new smoking ban? Surely there are lots of smokers out there... Haven't seen any Letters to the Editor in the Maui News about the new law yet...

Miulang
      What I've heard is that the places there have a lot more space on the property in general than here. So they can have unenclosed patios and such vs. standing in the street. Seems like a comfort issue. Also there's less population, so fewer people to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
        What I've heard is that the places there have a lot more space on the property in general than here. So they can have unenclosed patios and such vs. standing in the street. Seems like a comfort issue. Also there's less population, so fewer people to complain.
        So you're saying it's a Honolulu-centric issue? Pity.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

So you're saying it's a Honolulu-centric issue? Pity.

Miulang
          It's bad for all islands, but worst for Oahu. We are all in this together.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
            Weirdest thing is that I actually saw someone wearing one on the way to work the other day. A real, bonafide, hat-shaped mass of aluminum foil. That's Portland for you though.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
              Yes, it is... THE NO-SMOKING LAW NEEDS TO BE REPEALED...

Comment

2006 is about to end and it has been a terrible year in Hawaii for economic, personal, and private property rights and freedoms. Citizens are overtaxed and overregulated making Hawaii the 2nd worst business climate in america per USA today. GE tax up, cellphone restrictions, and this draconian smoking ban.

My resolution is to actively fight for personal choice in the next year. Let's put the power back in the hands of the people and not beauacrats and lobbists like the loathsome "Coalition for tobacco free Hawaii".

This next year will be a test of the smoking ban and of the communitees dignity overall.

Comment

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                  Yes, it is... THE NO-SMOKING LAW NEEDS TO BE REPEALED...
                  That's IT?? How terribly anti-climactic. No wonder they cancelled the show.
                  Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; December 31, 2006, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Even in Asia, smokers are having a tough time. Hong Kong now has a no smoking ban in restaurants and offices and some outdoor public spaces. In 2009, the ban extends to bars and nightclubs too.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Even in Asia, smokers are having a tough time. Hong Kong now has a no smoking ban in restaurants and offices and some outdoor public spaces. In 2009, the ban extends to bars and nightclubs too.
                      I thought this was HawaiiThreads...

2009, huh? Gives them two years to come to their senses and decide not to implement the ban.

Comment

Kaiser Permanente has a website that will calculate the cost of smoking. For example, 20 cigs a day @ $4.50/pack for 10 years = $16,425. That's assuming your able to quit after 10 years ....

[URL="http://members.kaiserpermanente.org/kpweb/healthency.do?hwid=calc011&sectionId=calc011-sec&contextId=zu1119"]
                        Last edited by SouthKona; January 2, 2007, 09:07 PM. Reason: tried to fix the link. no luck.

Comment

http://members.kaiserpermanente.org/...ntextId=zu1119

Comment

Wait a few months and see what happens to tourism, people book in advance and tickets are often non-refundable. You have to walk down the streets of your own town, you pay money to choose to come here.
                            Yup, I would be kinda peeved if I didn't already expect smoking restrictions in Hawaii (being from California).
                            CA went non-smoking in 2000 or 01. Some cities don't even allow smoking outside in parks! A few local hole-in-the-wall bars ignored the ban at first, but slowly each one succombed to the new 'social norm' (all it takes is one outraged and vocal patron to get the bar warned then next time fined).

Smokers are the minority these days. And all this talk of evil second-hand smoke is mostly BS, IMO. If someone's cigarette smoke is causing illness, imagine what industrial air pollution and car exhast are doing! IMO, cars exhast is far more harmful to everyone than cigarettes. If folks health is really that important to them, don't ya think they'd do something about pollutions that are truly killing them and the environment? What we have here fueling these bans are a bunch of disgruntled ex-smokers that get the urge when someone else smokes and it upsets them so if they have to suffer, so do you! Hey, I've been there as a freshly-quit non-smoker. It makes me mad when I get an urge I don't want, but I accept that it's my problem. I don't expect everyone else to change to suit me.

Despite my anger towards this insane prohibition movement, I support non-smoking bans in enclosed public buildings with the exception of bars where the owner desires to allow smoking. It's a freaking bar, for gosh sakes.

Blessings*

Barb

Comment

Let's put the power back in the hands of the people and not beauacrats and lobbists like the loathsome "Coalition for tobacco free Hawaii".

This next year will be a test of the smoking ban and of the communitees dignity overall.
                              If only you could be this passionate and active on real issues instead of this smoking-ban sideshow. How do you plan to change the law? Petitions don't change laws.

Comment

And the answer is: Smoking Permits for bars and other businesses with appropriate warning signs for patrons.

Blessings*

Comment

Working...
                                X