How would you rather pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you rather pay?

Curious to what all the HT people think, given that taxes are a part of life, not unless you're an anarchist, what form of tax would you rather see in Hawaii? The current GET? A GST? Just a plain old sales tax? No sales tax at all but an increase in income or property tax?

Re: How would you rather pay?

A higher tax rate on the rich.

Comment

Get rid of the GET and income taxes and go to a straight flat sales tax. Exempt food and medical services from sales taxes. Cap property taxes.

Enact a law (initiative) where the people would have to vote on public works projects that cost more than $1 billion.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

county level progressive income tax. RPT, GET, Sales taxes, etc. are all HIGHLY regressive.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
          A higher tax rate on the rich.
          raising taxes on the wealthy won't make it better. By taking away more of their disposable income, they invest less. Investments in corporations that provide jobs for a lot of us.

They also donate more to charitable organizations (because they can shelter it), so those organizations can feed the poor, find cures for incurable diseases and other noble causes. When these charitable organizations cannot do their jobs, the burden of welfare falls on our state and federal governments which are already overburdened with subsidy costs.

And of course with more tax monies going into subsidy programs, less goes into Education and the obvious tax pig...military spending.

Reduce either and the outcome is bad for our youth and our country's strength.

And when our youth don't strive to become economically successful, they won't be rich where the tax burden will fall by raising the tax on the wealthy.

Less tax base means an economic base that spirals downwards until the country is bancrupt like the Soviet Union.

I say let the rich keep their money because their wealth is being utilizied by private corporations and charitable organizations for the benefit of our economy and our less fortunate.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I like to see a GST, because a regular sales tax has one giant loophole. Anybody who can claim they are not the end consumer can skip the tax and pass it on. And since it will no longer be this exponential tax of the GET, seeing a GST of around 10% is reasonable. I also concur on the idea that medicine and food should be tax exempt. California exempts food and it works well.

Property tax - like to see two tiered system. If it's your first and primary home, low rate. If it's second and above, high, just to help curb this ridiculous housing speculation and it also does tax the social strata in a more fair way.

Income tax - like to see it go away but depending if our govt can survive on a leaner tax base.

Govt needs to shed a lot of inefficiency. Like subsidized state parking for its employees, the elimination of pensions and moving to 401ks. Use more self service kiosks in places like DMV to reduce headcount.

But not the rail, that's one infrastructure I think is needed to plan future growth.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              I say let the rich keep their money because their wealth is being utilizied by private corporations and charitable organizations for the benefit of our economy and our less fortunate.
              Tell that to the homeless living on the beaches all over the island, the kids without healthcare, and the youth with no financial means to attend college and see what they think about how much rich people's money is going to charity. Give it another ten years of that BS and it'll be like the early 20th century all over again. Can you say "violent labor disputes"?

Comment

Never thougth about it since in Oregon we don't pay a sales tax at all. Just property tax and gas tax (included in price on the sign).
                I pay 1275.00 a year for Property taxes and I think that is fair. I am good with it the way it is. They give companies a break for hiring so many local employees. Small business's get a tax break for running local. I dislike the way they spend the monies but that is another topic isn't it?!
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                X