Shake and Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shake and Quake!

Watching Fox News in New York, I have family living in Honolulu area, stationed in the Navy. They are okay, they were able to get through to me via the Cell phone. They too have no power. My thoughts and prayers go out to all and hope this turns out to seem worse than it really is. Praying that there are no injuries or fatalities and minimal damage at worst.

Comment

Live streaming KITV has been doing an excellent job providing the latest updates.

Comment

My prayers are with everyone in Hawai'i. Just happy that nobody has been reported dead.

I can't get my friends over there on the phone but will keep trying. I am sure that's because all the phone lines are busy right now.

Please take care of youself everyone.

Aloha
        Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
        Mark Twain

Comment

Met up with a friend visiting frm Portland after an abbreviated, candle-lit Mass. Wandered around town, shopped a dark Safeway for picnic eats, lunched in a church courtyard, stopped to watch the ocean in Waikiki, and strolled an empty Ala Moana.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii

Over six hours with no power... gotta start planning what gets tossed from the fridge.

Comment

I blogged my experience. We got our power back at 1320 or so, and it's stayed on. We didn't open the fridge/freezer doors, so hopefully everything is fine with that stuff (I know the ice is, since I've used the dispenser since we got the power back). I went to Safeway Waimalu about 1245; it had just gotten its power back, although the BOH ATM still wasn't up and running.

Funny: got five e-mails and five blog comments from people asking how I was doing. That's nice.
            Last edited by Linkmeister; October 15, 2006, 03:55 PM. Reason: Add the blog/mail info
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Aue! I've been reading the articles on Yahoo! News. I read no deaths reported, but I'm still worried about you guys! It can be so hard without power. I didn't read anything about the water lines being affected, except on Big Island. That's the worst!

Be careful, everyone! I know everyone in our Hawai'i social network over here is very concerned! You're in our prayers. And if there's anything we can do, please drop me a line!

E malama pono...
              na 'Ailina
              Louisiana
              ~'Ailina

Comment

KITV is doing rolling live news with remotes, call-ins, and featuring photos submitted by residents around town.

On Oahu, an old home in Manoa lost its stone chimney, the collapse of which did significant damage to the rest of the structure. A UH student was talking about how the cryogenic freezer on campus lost power causing some panic. Another crew is in Waikiki.

Lots of pictures from the Big Island of landslides, boulders on roads, collapsed walls, houses separated from foundations, trashed kitchens... A caller from Hawi (where my family is from) reports that the old sugar smokestack in the center of town collapsed (but missed hitting homes), that the road into Kona is closed, and that water service is still down.

Several schools closed tomorrow, Honokaa, Kohala... the remainder expected to open.

Lingle's telling her story in a press conference, being in Waikoloa, evacuating to the police station, flying over the Kona coast.

Link, I too got lots of inquiries from folks all over... through my sites, various social networks and places where I've got profiles posted. Very heartening. I even got an e-mail from a regional TV station that wanted to use my Flickr photos!

Comment

Lei Liko checking in!

The rattler woke up me and the BF, who immediately went to baby's room to retrieve him. I tried standing under the door but my legs felt like noodles. I was scared it was going to go on forever.

BF got a call from his office and was called in to assess the damage. Dropped off baby at his mom's house (who naturally was at wits end because she had the hardest time getting through to us) and I went home to mom's. Our patio covering caved in, it's the heavy plastic kine, so no worry. Nieces and nephews were still kinda shaken up though.

On my way home to mom's I was gonna stop off at the store for rations. At the Stadium Sack N Save, the line was out the door all the way to Office Max! I said forget it after that!

The power stayed on for about 15 minutes after the quake and that's when I started getting all antsy. Out came the gas stove and my neighbors invited us over to use their grill and we all cooked what we thought would go bad.

My girlfriend in Kaimuki is still waiting on her power though. If it doesn't come on soon, I told her to come over for dinner!

And you know what BF did all day? He played GOLF. That frickah. I guess rain wasn't so bad up there.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Just got off work an my roomate was telling me about this.........
                    A 6-er ehhhhh....... That is a rarity
                    And its good that NO casualties and everyone is doin a ok...
                    I only experienced one when I was still on the island though my mom (god rest her soul) one just went by and I did not even notice.
                    I did experience a 5.2 since living here in California which was back in 2002.
                    I was in my room watching a DVD and I hear rumbling. My roomate comes into my room and announces that was an earthquake which I learned originated from Gilroy. Wow I thought, seemed like a freight train jus went by outside.

Comment

Hope everyone is safe & sound!

I was gone all day & I didn't find out about it until just a little bit ago, when I came home. *hugs*
                      <3 EriKa
                      ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Either the nerves in my okole are dead or my house is structurally over-built on solid ground. I didn't feel much more than a shimmer this morning. Just a little window-rattling.

OTOH, my sister said things fell off the countertops and wall cabinets. Then again, she has a three-level house built on a hillside.

Comment

Curious how a Mainland regional affiliate covered us? Carter Evans of KOVR CBS 13 in Sacramento filed a report, mentioning that he grew up here, and even having the anchors interview his aunt, Laurie Kalles, in Honolulu. Click the two video segments presently in the right sidebar of this story.

Comment

People who live in wood framed houses (which is what most families in Hawai'i live in if they live in houses) are safer than those who are in those high rise concrete buildings like hotels or condos or houses built out of brick and mortar. Wood framed houses might creak and groan but their organic nature allows them to bend with the stresses, whereas tall concrete and steel buildings can only torque so much before they will start to fracture.

Even though large earthquakes rarely hit Hawai'i, it might be a good thing to review the following disaster preparedness lists because those disaster kits will work just as well if you're hit by a devastating tsunami or other natural disaster and can't get out of your house for supplies for three or more days. We here in northern earthquake country got our own warning to prepare about 3 years ago.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Auntie Lynn checking in! Wat a morning! My daughter was working in Hickim. My son in the Field with his men. My odda daughter and Kiana at home in Kapolei. Izzy was sent to pick me up.

I went....but I came home afta pau Kaukau.

Dang! My King Size Bed and Walls neva rock lil dat ~ eva!

I ran outside screaming - WTF??????

My Chinese neighbors were coming out and asking me what happened. I told dem it was probably an Earthquake.

Today made me really think. No matter how much money or financial status one is in ~ when Disaster strikes we are all Equal. Food was the main concern for most this morning. People were haunting for Kaukau and Gas. It is imperative to Prepare and always be ready for the unexpected.

I thought about "what if" dis was another kind of "Disaster"...where I wouldn't be able to see my Ohana again. I made some decisions today. I will concentrate on them and my Passions and not bicker about things which only bring misery and pain.

Life to me is sharing Love and Aloha. Today reaffirms that belief.

God bless everybody no matter where you are.

I love you.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Better late than never eh

I was at work today when the earthquake hit. I was getting Sunday ad signs out
                                when the walls started to shake. I immediately ran out of the office. A TV
                                fell down right in front of me.. It was really surreal and frightening. We ended
                                up staying out of the building until it was all clear.

I'm still frazzled and dazed right now. I've lived here in Kona 30 years, NEVER
                                have I gone through an earthquake like that.
                                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X