Battle of the Bands sheepishness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of the Bands sheepishness?

Am I wrong for entering my band Doolin Rakes into an international, online battle of the bands? I feel dirty, but I don't see how it can hurt. How do my HT music experts feel about competitions like these? This one is sponsored by a brewery in Northern Ireland.

Also, if you want to see what I'm talking about: http://www.slbc.ie/competition/competitions

Any and all HT input is valued as always.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Re: Battle of the Bands sheepishness?

It would really depend on the rest of your band if they want to go to someplace else to play. And I would suspect that travel by the members is not the issue but rather the members' instruments would be the overall concern.

Comment

Ehhh - go for it. What harm can the exposure do, in this case?

Comment

Wow, jdub - I'm impressed. An Irish band? I had no idea......... Very cool. Are you primarily an Irish band? Or do you do lots of styles and also do some Irish music? Many years ago (seems like yesterday) I was involved with a couple of Irish/Renaissance bands. One even did the music for a video I was working on. I also spent a lot of time doing acoustical analysis on typical instruments used - primarily penny whistles and such....

But, that is not what you asked, is it? I say go for it! Which, obviously, you did! What is the worst that can happen? You don't win and life goes on as it has been. What is the best that can happen? You win and (probably) get a contract from the brewing company as their spokesband (I think I just made that word up....)

From the video, it looks like this was not your first gig (I knew that from your posts too :-) and I'm really surprised if this was your first battle of the bands. Standard way to get exposure........

Winning these things can really change your life. A couple of years ago, a student of mine won a ukulele battle of the bands and got a contract with a ukulele company out of Kentucky of all places (the name of the company has slipped my mind) Anyway, her life was changed forever....... got to open for Ben Folds.

Always take chances cause ya never know!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Ehhh - go for it. What harm can the exposure do, in this case?
          Thanks, Leo. That's what I figured. After nearly 20 years as a professional musician, BOBs are still a little embarassing. But exposure is good.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
            Wow, jdub - I'm impressed. An Irish band? I had no idea......... Very cool. Are you primarily an Irish band? Or do you do lots of styles and also do some Irish music?

From the video, it looks like this was not your first gig (I knew that from your posts too :-) and I'm really surprised if this was your first battle of the bands. Standard way to get exposure........
            It's mostly traditional Irish, but with a bunch of my Irish-y originals, and a handful of choice Van Morrison, Johnny Cash, Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly covers. I'm not into pillaging the catalogs of other artists, but I do believe in "give the people what they want".

My first and only other BOB was back in 1993 or so, at what was then Moose McGillycuddy's at Puck's Alley with my band Red Session. We had it locked, but a guy from Radio Free Hawaii juiced the ballot box in favor of his friend's band. Pretty much soured me on the whole BOB thing.

Mahalo for the input!
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

Since Doolin Rakes kicks ass, why not?
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Thanks, Burl. We're currently sitting in 4th place, with a good shot at making the final if we can hold our spot until Monday. That'd be grand.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

I agree with Leo that it can't hurt, and I agree that you should go for it, which apparently you already have. Keep us posted, please! We're all pulling for you.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I agree with Leo that it can't hurt, and I agree that you should go for it, which apparently you already have. Keep us posted, please! We're all pulling for you.
                    Thanks, LikaNui, and everyone else! Doolin Rakes has made it to the final five. Voting begins 6 December. I've posted our second submitted video for the final on the Doolin Rakes Facebook page. I'll check back in when the voting begins and ask for your support. Again. You folks rock, truly!
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X