Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened here?

HT needs to have an app
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Part of the problem is some users tend to rely on the "Latest" option. If a thread is not listed there, it seems to be forgotten even though it still exist.
      You have said this before, and I am guilty! But what can one do when one has limited time on the computer? I check my "subscribed threads," but I don't have time to check every category for 'recent' messages which have expired on "Latest." Maybe we need a "Recent" option, or an option which shows us what has happened since we were last here?

Ach, I do my best to keep up, but I'm not getting younger!

Any suggestions?

(BTW: I think the ebb and rise and fall of postings is due to the sunspot cycle, but I haven't figured out the cycle influence.)
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        Maybe we need a "Recent" option, or an option which shows us what has happened since we were last here?
        That's what the "New" does (in New/Latest).

Comment

Because I am not the one on the island to have something to discuss mainly. I lived there years ago and come here to get a feel for how things have changed and wonder if I would or wouldnt be welcome to the islands were I to decide I wanted to be there for more than a visit.
          Apparently, life is just life no matter where one resides but it is quite disheartening to read all the madness and anger directed at others despite being in "paradise". (However, that doesnt deserve a "well, dont come here then!")

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          You've posted five times since January 2009, a year and a half ago, and one of those five is this post.

Good discussion fora tend to have waves of hyperactivity and hyperinactivity. It happens; there are lulls in any extended conversation. Mailing lists are the same way. I won't discount Mel's suggestion that it's about Twitter and Facebook, but I think it's more than that: most of us who've been here a while have said what we have to say about a great number of topics. Almost every time someone new signs up and starts a topic, it gets merged into an older thread that was begun years ago.

I still check in every day. I contribute when I have something original or meaningful to say. If you are unhappy with the current level activity, may I suggest you post something interesting that sparks discussion? This thread reminds me of an old Beetle Bailey strip. The sign outside the club says LADIES' NIGHT TONIGHT. In the next panel, Killer complains to the bartender: "Why is this place full of guys?" In the third panel, you see that the bar is full of men with not one woman in sight. The bartender says, "What are YOU doing here?"
          If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
            Because I am not the one on the island to have something to discuss mainly. I lived there years ago and come here to get a feel for how things have changed and wonder if I would or wouldnt be welcome to the islands were I to decide I wanted to be there for more than a visit.
            Apparently, life is just life no matter where one resides but it is quite disheartening to read all the madness and anger directed at others despite being in "paradise". (However, that doesnt deserve a "well, dont come here then!")
            I hear what you're saying, but again: why not ask a question or something? I mean a question besides "where's all the discussion?" If you want to know if you would or wouldn't be welcome, why not ask questions related to that?

Surely you are interested in some of the other discussions that are going on, yes? As you can see, we don't only talk about Hawaii-related stuff here. What films have you seen recently, or what recipes have you had some success with?

Have you seen the new Hawaii Five-0? That's sparked a lot of discussion in recent days. And as it does every other year, the election has generated several posts with multiple responses. There's plenty going on around here; if we've stayed away lately from topics that interest you, how about starting something?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
              Same same for me...latest threads, read over what's up, etc. If I have a question or comment on something not recent, I bump old threads. I think some of those threads are very entertaining....
              That is an understatement for sure. Of course, some of the best threads are closed, so there isn't a way to bump them. For sport, maybe we should look for old REALLY ENTERTAINING posts and revive them just for a daily laugh.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Because I am not the one on the island to have something to discuss mainly.
                Out of the 29 sub-forums listed on the main page at least 10 of them don't pertain to Hawaii itself and another 5 (Mixed Plate is in this set) that can go either way.

Comment

[...]I lived there years ago and come here to get a feel for how things have changed and wonder if I would or wouldnt be welcome to the islands were I to decide I wanted to be there for more than a visit.[...]
                  Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  [...]
                  Surely you are interested in some of the other discussions that are going on, yes? As you can see, we don't only talk about Hawaii-related stuff here. What films have you seen recently, or what recipes have you had some success with?[...]
                  Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Out of the 29 sub-forums listed on the main page at least 10 of them don't pertain to Hawaii itself and another 5 (Mixed Plate is in this set) that can go either way.
                  My feeling is memorylane comes to HT more for threads that pertain to Hawaii and less for threads that don't. Please correct me if I'm wrong, memorylane.

Comment

I just checked in to HT for the first time in who-knows-how-long (well, Mel, I suppose). Not sure why. I Facebook regularly, but am too dim to really understand Twitter. At any rate, I'm glad to be back among akamai HT friends.
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                      I just checked in to HT for the first time in who-knows-how-long...
                      Well, last time you posted was June 24th, 2009, so it's really good to "see" you again, Jamie.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                        I just checked in to HT for the first time in who-knows-how-long...
                        Aloha Jamie! It's great to see you on the board!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Well, last time you posted was June 24th, 2009, so it's really good to "see" you again, Jamie.
                          Mahalo, Leo. I'm looking forward to reconnecting with HT. And Aloha, Auntie! Good to be back.
                          Last edited by jdub; September 26, 2010, 07:48 PM.
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Welcome back Jamie - haven't heard from you since that day we all went for sushi in my building! that place has since closed - and there have been 3 other tenants in there since then.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I had a child Well... I should rephrase that. My son was born! My wife did all the "having" of the child LOL
                              -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                                I had a child Well... I should rephrase that. My son was born! My wife did all the "having" of the child LOL
                                But I hope you are still finding yourself a little bit of `ukulele time, yes? Babies love music, you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X