Automat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automat

As explained by Wikipedia (who else?), Automats are a "fast food restaurant where simple foods and drink are served by coin-operated and bill-operated vending machines."

Food Network's 'Unwrapped' episode tonight featured a segment on a new Automat in New York called 'Bamn'.

Which has me wondering whether this business model would be successful in Hawaii.

After all, we have plenty of Japanese tourists that visit our islands. And as you may know, the vending machine industry in Japan is HUGE. Biggest (and sometimes whackiest) in the world.

Me thinks a Waikiki 'Automat' would RAGE!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Automat

I would soooooo be there. Seems like Ala Moana Center might also be a cool spot for something like that.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Me thinks a Waikiki 'Automat' would RAGE!
      In a place where the rent is reasonable, I don't see why not.

Definitely a solid business idea waiting to happen..... almost as good an idea as opening an Anna Miller's franchise in Waikiki.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There was one downtown on King St. way back in the mid to late 50's. I remember eating there on one occasion. Seems they weren't around for very long.

Comment

Great for places where people have to wait, such as the airport, bus stops, even at DMV while you wait for your driver's road test, hotel lobbies.

Great for single people. So put them where they go like outside nightclubs, near the beach, in the malls.

Use em at theaters and events instead of concession stands.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

UH had a couple of places like that in the late 70's and early 80's. One was at kiosk between Keller and Bilger Hall and another at Hemenway Hall. I have no idea if they are in operation or not now a days.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              UH had a couple of places like that in the late 70's and early 80's. One was at kiosk between Keller and Bilger Hall and another at Hemenway Hall. I have no idea if they are in operation or not now a days.

Oh I remember Hemmingway Hall back in the 70's when it was a grungy cafeteria with screen doors and the outside kioskes of vending machines we lived by.

Comment

Helen, that's not the same thing. These vending machines actually have a back end that's a working kitchen. There are people back there preparing the food and sticking it in the machine, so people on the other side can drop their money in and get it. If I understand correctly.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  Helen, that's not the same thing. These vending machines actually have a back end that's a working kitchen. There are people back there preparing the food and sticking it in the machine, so people on the other side can drop their money in and get it. If I understand correctly.
                  Awe man Scriv!!! You just blew the magic of what Helen thought was happening!! Food magically appeared in the window! But then again I guess we were too stoned to figure that out back then.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    For those who've never seen a real automat, go to this media links page to see what everyone is talking about.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Seems like it'd be a popular thing in Waikiki. The prime cost of opening one in Ala Moana might not be best suited for something like this though. And since Ala Moana already has a giant food court you'd have more concentrated competition.

An interesting find nonetheless!
                      Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Working...
                      X