Just Started Blogging for Pay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Started Blogging for Pay...

...any suggestions from the veteran bloggers here at HT?
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Re: Just Started Blogging for Pay...

I would not call myself a veteran blogger, but it's difficult to give advice without any additional information, except that you're getting paid to blog. So, I'll advise you to put 10% towards a tithe or charity, 10% towards savings, and the other 80% up to you.

Congratulations! Is your gig pay-per-post, ghost writing, contributor to a group blog?
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by infinitypro View Post

Congratulations! Is your gig pay-per-post, ghost writing, contributor to a group blog?
      I think it's based on how many views I get. I'm doing mostly arts and entertainment in Honolulu. And I would guess it's a "group" blog, as there are a number of other writers on the site.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
        I think it's based on how many views I get.
        Then, by gawd, be sure to tell us where to look.

P.S. to NEENZ) Pam at Nerd's Eye View says "hi." We play music together.

Comment

Post the URL then maybe there can be some commentary...

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
            Post the URL then maybe there can be some commentary...
            It's at Examiner.com, but I'm such a clueless newbie that I don't even know what my actual URL [I]is[I]. I've only made one post, and I think it's still in the hands of the Admins. I'm writing for the Bars & Clubs section for Honolulu, but my first is probably under Arts & Entertainment (go figure).

It all seems so complicated, what with Twitter, Digg and all those other web thingies I haven't yet grasped. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a lot of views to make any significant coin, but in these times, I find myself not in the position to turn down revenue opportunities. I figure it's time to become a bit more web savvy.
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

Ah, the Examiner! A metro-area network, similar to Metroblogging but with a considerably more robust model. I'd been in touch with them as well. After a certain point, though, I got too lazy to finish their vetting process. A phone interview? A credit check? Hey, what's that shiny thing! Good on you for making the grade! I know our own Evelyn is active there as well.

So I guess you're a Honolulu Bars & Clubs Examiner!

I guess one piece of advice is to regularly weigh the benefits of being part of a network like this, where you get centralized coordination, marketing, and hopefully decent readership, versus being an independent, where you control everything, have greater freedom, and reap all the revenues (if you build up the readership to generate it).

My issue with the Examiner was that they signed up dozens of writers on dozens of topics (Honolulu Exopolitics is pretty... niche!). I'd worry about being lost, and about an audience being pretty fragmented. It's hard to find a distinctive and singular voice on the site, which is trying very hard to look like a "mainstream news site."

Comment

Thanks, PZ. I had a feeling you'd be able to provide some salient insight. I suppose I'll just plug away and see what happens.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                  I suppose I'll just plug away and see what happens.
                  Regardless of how this gig turns out financially, you might make some good contacts with the other writers and admin. Blogging can be a way to meet other bloggers.
                  "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                  "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                  "
                  Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                  X