John Wooden, "gravely ill"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wooden, "gravely ill"

Legendary UCLA basketball coach and Hall Of Famer John Wooden is reported as being "gravely ill" in a Los Angeles hospital. Wooden, who led the Bruins to 10 national championships, is 99 years young.
    Universally loved, admired and respected, he deserves our thoughts and prayers.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: John Wooden, "gravely ill"

The Wizard of Westwood coached with class.

Comment

As a Bruin alum I'm following this story with great anxiety. I haven't been to a game at Pauley Pavillion since I graduated but have always been happy to see him on TV watching the team from the bleachers all these years later.

It's always been a huge regret in my life to never have approached him while a student to simply shake his hand, and tell him how much I admire him as a coach, but even more as a man who lived his life with such high principles that has inspired his players and so many others by his example. All of his players will say that he was always more concerned with their personal success as human beings than with their achievements on the court.

The very mention of Coach Wooden brings so much pride to each of us who are in any way associated with UCLA.

Comment

John Wooden passing away will be a very sad event, indeed. But he will be reunited with his beloved wife, Nell. They were married for over 50 years. And even after she died 25 years ago, it's been said that he still writes love notes to her every day.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
        X