Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Prices

Costco Waipio was at $2.08/gallon last Friday and seems determined to attract every vehicle on the island to their pumps. They've been aggressively lowering their prices for the last few months.

Every time we've gone by there (weekday mornings/afternoons) they've been lined up solid with waits of 15-30 minutes. We don't even go near the place on weekends. Anyone have a good time to fill up there without long lines?
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

At its peak, it was costing $60 a fill-up. Now, my last three have been in the high $20-low $30, for PREMIUM! I used a $100 Costco Cash-Card, which still has an $11 balance.

Comment

I miss the high gas prices. Traffic has gotten noticeably worse, and if gas prices stay this way, it won't get any better.

Gas prices need to be high, and they need to keep going up. It's the answer to so many of our problems.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
          Gas prices need to be high, and they need to keep going up. It's the answer to so many of our problems.
          Assinine thinking.

Like it or not, the number of hybrid and flex-fuel vehicles are on the increase. So even if gasoline prices do go sky high in the future, it may do little to relieve traffic as more and more motorists purchase cars that run on alternative fuels like electricity, ethanol, or compressed natural gas.
          Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 10, 2008, 11:14 PM.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Just returned from almost two-week drive up to Boise / Meridian, ID via Reno.

Prices as I gassed up: Boise $1.55, Nevada from $1.67 (in Winnemucca) to $1.85 (in Reno), Bay Area from $1.57 (Tracy, CA) to $1.77 (San Jose now).

I don't automatically need two 20s to buy gas anymore. After seeing Honolulu prices, no complaints here.
            Last edited by Palama Kid; December 11, 2008, 02:51 AM. Reason: Had to refer to 20s needed
            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I miss the high gas prices. Traffic has gotten noticeably worse, and if gas prices stay this way, it won't get any better.

Although, I understand where you are coming from on this point, the answer to our transportation policy is a new, innovative way of thinking, from governement officials down to the driver on the street.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Assinine thinking.

Like it or not, the number of hybrid and flex-fuel vehicles are on the increase. So even if gasoline prices do go sky high in the future, it may do little to relieve traffic as more and more motorists purchase cars that run on alternative fuels like electricity, ethanol, or compressed natural gas.
                Other factors missing from the equation, even with increasing number of hybrids, the premium hybrids have over regular models still is an influencing factor on purchase. Also, no matter how much better gas mileages hybrids get, it won't change the situation of number of cars on the road, unless we're gonna see a slew of new models physically half the size of current cars.

Comment

Higher gas prices have more to do with the number of cars on the road. It increases everything else we pay for. I think we were all be better off when the Arabs kissed our asses.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    If we could replace SUVs with economy cars, it'd still be an improvement, but traffic is the smaller problem. If we can replace the majority of gas-burning cars with hybrids and flex-fuel vehicles, we've made a lot of progress even if traffic doesn't improve.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    Although, I understand where you are coming from on this point, the answer to our transportation policy is a new, innovative way of thinking, from governement officials down to the driver on the street.
                    Now that, I completely agree with. The problem is getting everyone to adopt the new innovative way of thinking.

Scientists and environmentalists have been preaching the same story for years -- carpool, buy economical cars, drive sparingly, use public transportation, etc. Nobody listened until gas prices started skyrocketing. There isn't a faster and simpler way to get people to adopt environmentally-friendly practices -- and do so with a better rate of compliance and participation -- than to make gas expensive. I know it sucks, but that's just how people are.

The problem is nobody is going to vote for a public official that supports high gas prices, even if it's what we desperately need.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                      Higher gas prices have more to do with the number of cars on the road. It increases everything else we pay for.
                      Sure. Nobody said it was going to be easy.

Remember how bad it was in the 70s? Skyrocketing gas prices, many years of double-digit inflation? Nobody back then would've said the oil crisis could possibly be a blessing in disguise, but now, 30 years later, we can see that it was.

We established a national speed limit (which was implemented to save gas, not necessarily for safety), we made carpool lanes to encourage ride sharing, we mandated fuel-efficiency standards on our auto industry. Sure, they seem like small steps now, but remember how epic they were in the 70s? Remember how everyone thought it was going to cripple our way of life?

High gas prices would force another epic change in thinking down our throats, and that's exactly what we need. Nobody wants to give up luxuries we've all become accustomed to, even if it's in our best interests.

Comment

Well, gas here in the Valley (in the Los Angeles area) is averaging about $1.72/gal, but where I have been buying it, it's now $1.63. I know everyone says they miss the high prices because of traffic, etc., but there's no way to judge that here right now, because of Christmas approaching. Traffic here, as bad as it is, is ALWAYS heavier at this time of year. We'll check it out after the kids go back to school on Jan. 12. I don't miss the higher prices at all, for a strictly selfish reason: It's costing me less than half of what it was costing me last summer to fill up!!! I must say that the habits I formed when it was high have remained with me. I no longer just "run out" to do something--I still combine my trips and drive "in a circle", so I don't go out of the way for something. If I need to go across town, I wait till I have something else to do out that same way before doing it (not counting important things like going to a doctor or something like that). It has made a huge difference in how ofter I buy gas, and I really like that.
                        Anyone out there reading this in Colorado? My son's friend says it's about $1.35 there, and I know that in San Antonio, TX, my friend says it's about $1.25 there. (These prices are for regular unleaded) When we left here last August to go to Maui, it was about $4.35 here in CA, and I think it was around $4.60 or so over there; am I right? I'd have to dig up a receipt to be sure! (It didn't matter...I would have paid $100/gal to be over there! Ha!)

Comment

Unfortunately it takes something like high gas prices to change the way we think. We're so wrapped up with luxuries, it's easy to lose sight of (or shrug off) what will truly benefit us and this wonderful planet in the long-haul.

No one really wants high gas prices, but as others have mentioned, it may be what we need to make some very big, important changes.

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
                            Well, gas here in the Valley (in the Los Angeles area) is averaging about $1.72/gal, but where I have been buying it, it's now $1.63. I know everyone says they miss the high prices because of traffic, etc., but there's no way to judge that here right now, because of Christmas approaching. Traffic here, as bad as it is, is ALWAYS heavier at this time of year. We'll check it out after the kids go back to school on Jan. 12. I don't miss the higher prices at all, for a strictly selfish reason: It's costing me less than half of what it was costing me last summer to fill up!!! I must say that the habits I formed when it was high have remained with me. I no longer just "run out" to do something--I still combine my trips and drive "in a circle", so I don't go out of the way for something. If I need to go across town, I wait till I have something else to do out that same way before doing it (not counting important things like going to a doctor or something like that). It has made a huge difference in how ofter I buy gas, and I really like that.
                            Anyone out there reading this in Colorado? My son's friend says it's about $1.35 there, and I know that in San Antonio, TX, my friend says it's about $1.25 there. (These prices are for regular unleaded) When we left here last August to go to Maui, it was about $4.35 here in CA, and I think it was around $4.60 or so over there; am I right? I'd have to dig up a receipt to be sure! (It didn't matter...I would have paid $100/gal to be over there! Ha!)
                            Here in Wichita Falls, it went down to $1.49 for unleaded.

Comment

Our gas prices don't fluctuate with the price of oil....it's still ten bucks a gallon.
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

So some folks actually have to THINK to save money.

Well, not this guy. It was a no brainer 8 years ago when we bought the Echo (38 mpg). And it was a no brainer when I got the Corolla 2 years ago (41 mpg). And if you still driving an SUV, or some other gas guzzler, then I admire how wealthy you are. You must be smart.

Folks who think the high price of gas is a cure for our ills are woefully misinformed.

Another group of folks think that when we run out of gas, we stop using cars eventually. That's so silly, it makes me laugh. We will always have PTV (personal transportation vehicles) to haul our butts around in.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X