Michelle Wie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michelle Wie

Bad news for Team Wie. Sony has dropped their endorsement deal with Michelle.

http://golf.about.com/b/2009/04/19/m...st-the-men.htm

Can't blame Sony for dumping Michelle. Even in the best of economic times, what company would want to associate themselves with any pro golfer who shoots consecutive rounds of 81, like Wiesy did during this year's Kraft Nabisco championship? That would be like a professional bowler throwing consecutive gutter balls. It is just a disgrace.

If it is true that Sony's sponsorship was netting her $5 mil a year, then losing this deal packs a serious dent in Michelle's earnings. And if Nike follows suit and likewise says bye-bye,.... well, I hope that BJ and Bo Wie have wisely saved the millions that Michelle has earned the last 3 1/2 years.

I also can't help but comment about how this story has flown under the radar, in sharp contrast to the massive media coverage and fanfare that was showered upon Michelle in 2005 when she announced her decision to turn pro and to accept those lavish endorsement deals from Nike and Sony. There's no mistaking about it: Michelle Wie has become yesterday's news.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Michelle Wie has become the btw story at the end of the local sports segments.

Comment

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/breaking/47128517.html

Oh no, Not again.

Comment

I guess Michelle Wie had a pretty good day at the Solheim Cup. Team play, but still. Not only did she play well, but she seemed confident... exuberant, actually. I hardly recognized her, pumping her fist and beaming brightly.

Of course, the tournament's not over, and Wie has a troubled relationship with the last act... but it was nice to see her happy and energized.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            I guess Michelle Wie had a pretty good day at the Solheim Cup. Team play, but still.
            But still? I would say, it's because.

Up until now, Michelle has never competed as a team player, having all but skipped high school and NCAA competition. She's never had the experience of pulling for a teammate and developing a positive rapport, having previously viewed all the other golfers around her through the lens of a rival as an individual competitor.

Her being placed on a pedestal at a young age, being proclaimed as The One by the media, her aspirations about competing against the men, while all but taking for granted that she would dominate the women on the LPGA all turned into heavy burdens that crushed Michelle's spirit when she was unable to meet those lofty expectations. All the tournament exemptions that were thrown her way and her overly protective father did not endear her to the other LPGA members.

If you ask me, the healing process for Michelle began when she passed Q school and joined the LPGA tour, which quickly put a thaw in the relationship she had with some fellow golfers who were critical of her reliance on exemptions. Her part in contributing to the US team winning the Solheim Cup will hopefully be another step in Michelle being able to simply enjoy playing golf again. Now, if only her father and advisors will build upon this positive experience rather than burdening her with expectations of being the sport's next messiah.
            Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 23, 2009, 12:30 PM.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I agree with you 100% FM. Was really fun as a women's golf fan to watch one of the most entertaining tournaments in recent memory. It's exactly what the sport needs to give the LPGA a much-needed shot in the arm. Was even more fun as a Wie fan to watch her play with more joy than we've seen since she flirted with making the cut at her first Sony Open. Let's all hope that her parents will realize that it was likely not a coincidence that she had such success this week after they'd been requested to keep their distance during the competition.

Up until now, Michelle has never competed as a team player....
              Well, I agree with you 99% She was actually a member of the victorious 2004 Curtis Cup team, along with her 2009 Solheim Cup teammates Paula Creamer and Brittany Lang.

As the cheer went this weekend: "WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Comment

She was actually a member of the victorious 2004 Curtis Cup team, along with her 2009 Solheim Cup teammates Paula Creamer and Brittany Lang.
                I've been notified by my wife that "not everyone is a golf dork and knows what the Curtis Cup is." So for those more casual golf fans out there, the Curtis Cup is a similar team competition pitting US golfers against a team from Great Britain and Ireland. Unlike Solheim, however, this competition is solely for amateurs. At 14, Michelle was the youngest player in its then 70 year history ever to compete.

Comment

Well, maybe I spoke too soon about Michelle being able to build upon the momentum of her success in the Solheim Cup.

After tying for 4th in the Safeway Classic, Wiesy then missed the cut in the Ladies Canadian Open. This past weekend, she tied for 27th in the P&G Arkansas Championship.

BTW, the winner of the Arkansas tourney was Korea's Jiyai Shin. Like Michelle, she's an LPGA tour rookie. It is all but a foregone conclusion that Shin will win the LPGA rookie of the year award. But with 3 tourney wins in 2009 and the highest earnings of anyone on the tour, Shin may very well be named the Player of the Year. (Lorena Ochoa at 2 wins is the only other golfer with multiple LPGA victories.) This, in addition to the Women's British Open title Shin won last year as a non-LPGAer at the time.

The next superstar in the making? I think so

Comment

Michelle Wie finally wins her first LPGA tournament! What a relief that must be.

Comment

Good for her. I'm not the biggest golf or sports fan around, but after years of hype, disappointment and near-wins, I am sure she is a happy young lady today. Hawaii can be proud.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The first win as a pro finally comes for Wie..... after all the hype and the wishful thinking about competing on the men's tour is long gone and over with. And hopefully, it stays that way so that there will be no more useless distractions and she can just concentrate on what's really important.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Well, maybe I spoke too soon about Michelle being able to build upon the momentum of her success in the Solheim Cup.
                          This might have been the turning point to just go play and have fun at golf.

Comment

Both newspapers are reporting that Michelle has just signed an endorsement deal with McDonald's.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Both newspapers are reporting that Michelle has just signed an endorsement deal with McDonald's.
                              To promote the breakfast of champions, spam and rice.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                To promote the breakfast of champions, spam and rice.
                                And in 5 languages, no less!

Comment

Working...
                                X