Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

7-11 on Kinau Street and Piikoi is gone. I was wondering when this would happen with the new 7-11 just a few blocks down the road.

Aj

Comment

• So long Fritz's!

The long time favorite of German delights in Kalihi on Dillingham Bl., Fritz's European Bakery, has closed. They recently lost their baker that had been with them for decades and business had dwindled to virtually nothing.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
        I passed the Japanese bakery Bunmeido on King Street this afternoon and noticed that it's now semi-shuttered and nearly empty, and has two large hand-written signs that says it's closed. It used to sell Castella cakes. So sad to see the passing of a unique little establishment.
        Castella cakes are good for people who don't like their cakes too sweet with frosting.

Comment

• Re: Disappearing establishments in Ward Farmers Market

If you go to Ward Farmers Market, you'll find that Haili's Hawaiian Foods has left the building. Not to fret, as they're still in business, operating out of a lunchwagon in a parking lot nearby.

Also gone from Ward Farmers Market is Lin's Market, who has now moved to Ala Moana Center under the new name 'Lin's Hawaiian Snacks'.

Old news, but just to remind you, Poke Bowl moved out of the former Tropic Fish & Vegetable Market on the Diamond Head end of Ward Farmers Market, and is now located across the street in Ward Warehouse under the new name 'Pa'ina Cafe'.

The last remaining tenant in Ward Farmers Market is Marukai Market Place, along with their sister "99 Cents Store", which has another name now (hardly anything in there is 99 cents anymore, anyway). Nice though. Some good deals on dishware in there.

Not sure what the status is, but GG was supposed to be working on some mega-Condo and park project in the near future for the Victoria-Ward property, which would replace all the warehouses, including Ward Farmers Market. I'm too lazy right now to Google for that information update.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

The last remaining tenant in Ward Farmers Market is Marukai Market Place
            You didn't mention it specifically, but how about Stanley's Chicken Market? Is it gone too? We usually stop in for a shave ice when in the neighborhood. Always thought raw chicken, boiled peanuts and shave ice a strange combination but it worked for us! I always wondered how it stayed in business so long - it's such a little hole in the wall. We'll definitely miss it if it's gone!

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot about Stanley's Chicken. Yeah, they're gone too. Not sure on their whereabouts. I just tried calling their phone number listed in the phone book and it's disconnected.

Marukai took over the lease for the entire Ward Farmers Market area (save for Tropics Bar). In fact, if there's a line at the cashier at the "99 cent store" (can't remember what they renamed it), you can walk over to Marukai and pay for your stuff there, providing you're a Marukai member.

I also forgot to mention that Tropics Bar on the farthest end on the Diamond Head side (nearest the theaters) is also still there.

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
              You didn't mention it specifically, but how about Stanley's Chicken Market? Is it gone too? We usually stop in for a shave ice when in the neighborhood. Always thought raw chicken, boiled peanuts and shave ice a strange combination but it worked for us! I always wondered how it stayed in business so long - it's such a little hole in the wall. We'll definitely miss it if it's gone!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm currently watching cartoons with the girls, and I'm reminded that Swiper the Fox said it best:

"Aw, Man!!"

Comment

Rosie's Cantina has lost its lease and will be closing its doors on Sunday. However, another Mexican eatery will be taking its place.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...after+28+years
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Not quite a disappearing establishment, but Shizuko Hasegawa of Hana's famous Hasegawa General Store dies

Comment

• ...memories...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0n_Aicg50
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The Starbuck's in Discovery Bay has been shuttered.
                        me -->
                        eldest spawn -->

Comment

Was chatting earlier with Kory K on FB and, oh yes, one place I especially miss is the long-gone Hot Lava Cafe. Used to go once a week to see John Cruz there. Once I skipped a couple of weeks and John asked me why. I said, "if I'm feeling depressed and I come to listen to you, I feel suicidal."

John knew exactly what I meant.

And the rising superstar, Jake Shimabukuro, used to informally sit in there. Kory claims to have first introduced Jake to Lava, but later complained about him "showing off". Well, true, Jake does show-off, but with good reason. He's brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                            Was chatting earlier with Kory K on FB and, oh yes, one place I especially miss is the long-gone Hot Lava Cafe. Used to go once a week to see John Cruz there.
                            Good one. Sunday nights were always awesome. First the also-disappeared Shipley's in Manoa Marketplace for classic slack key with Mike Kaawa, Dennis Kamakahi and the gang, then straight down to Hot Lava for John Cruz.
                            Remember the night that Dennis Kamakahi sat in with John Cruz for a couple of hours, mostly playing a lot of oldies? Priceless!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Erika reports that Chowder House - an original tenant at Ward Warehouse complex - will close in September:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business..._34_years.html

Comment

Erika reports this morning that Pasta & Basta @ Restaurant Row (can it be called that anymore?) is shutting down.

Comment

Working...
                                X