Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Very Special Episode: TV Shows Visiting Hawaii

Originally posted by kimo55
    that ep was one of the most insulting, worst piece of lowlife, lowbrow broad cheap unfunny, childish, fake humor, sickening things ever created by the infantile warped mind of the sitcom machine in general. It was even lafftrack unworthy.
    By coincidence, one of our local stations here ran that episode on syndication just about an hour ago as I write this. Kimo is right, the show is c***.

We have our ReplayTV (Like Tivo, only better!) programmed to pick up anything with "Hawaii", "Honolulu", etc., so we often turn on the TV to find some real dogs like this, big game fishing off Maui, and "Aloha Scooby Doo" waiting for us. But then again every once in a while we find a fun little surprise like an old Rockford Files episode. Ming Tsai has a new show on Fine Living that recently filmed on Maui (and featured the chef wearing a malo!) And while "Miami Ink" isn't exactly on our "Must See TV" list we did watch a recent ep they filmed on Oahu. Lotsa others I could add to this list that I'll remember as soon as I submit this post!

Scriv I never saw the Sesame Street ep myself, but while we were on Kauai a couple weeks back my wife pointed out the mountain that they thought looked like Snuffleupagus, a la Sleeping Giant.

The DVR is a great tool to help appease my wife's homesickness. The month we were at my in-laws over the holidays was brutal without it. We actually had to watch commercials!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
      ...they said that the Polynesian Cultural Center was only a 30 minute drive from Honolulu. As someone who used to live in Hauula, I call BS!
      Obviously, a member of the Lost cast was driving.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Sell This House
        Extreme Homes of Exotic Islands
        Lovena

Comment

The Food Network films here often because, yes, they like to travel to Hawaii, but also because we're one of their larger markets.

I heard that the Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs" did a show out here. I wouldn't otherwise go out of my way to watch that show, but I would've been interested to know what careers they focused on in the islands!

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy
            We have our ReplayTV (Like Tivo, only better!) programmed to pick up anything with "Hawaii", "Honolulu", etc., so we often turn on the TV to find some real dogs like this, big game fishing off Maui, and "Aloha Scooby Doo" waiting for us. But then again every once in a while we find a fun little surprise like an old Rockford Files episode. Ming Tsai has a new show on Fine Living that recently filmed on Maui (and featured the chef wearing a malo!) And while "Miami Ink" isn't exactly on our "Must See TV" list we did watch a recent ep they filmed on Oahu. Lotsa others I could add to this list that I'll remember as soon as I submit this post!
            More recent DVR "finds":
            -Another Ming's Quest episode on Fine Living shot on the Big Island
            -Mama's Family - worse than My Wife and Kids
            -Old episode of This Old House renovating a beach house near Aina Haina, I think
            -New show called Adventures in Hawaii on Outdoor Life (OLN). Stars triathlete Lokelani McMichael and she travels the islands doing different outdoor things like big game fishing, skeet shooting, archery, etc. (BTW - She's not a natural in front of camera!)
            -Latest season of Golf Hawaii with Mark Rolfing, one of my favorites.
            -Unwrapped on FoodTV, all about Hawaiian foods or foods with their origin in Hawaii. Shave ice, King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread, POG, etc.
            -Green Acres! Think this might've been a pilot for a spin off as the whole episode revolved around the manager of the Kahala (whatever it was called back then) and his wacky daughter. Eddie Albert and Zsa Zsa were more like guests rather than the stars of the show. Ironic thing is the kicker of the episode involved the daughter ordering some dolphins to be delivered to the hotel. "But where will we keep them?" "Why, in the swimming pool!" Wah, wah waaaaaaahhhh..... Maybe they knew what was in store for the hotel after all.

Comment

I think Rockford Files shot in Hawaii during the last season.

I know Vega$ with Robert Urich shot their 1980 season premiere here with guest stars Lorne Greene and Pernell Roberts in a Bonanza-like reunion!

That same 1980 season premiere had Charlies Angels shoot their first 5 or 6 episodes here as well. Ironic both shows were under Aaron Spelling productions so the production crew must have filmed both shows at the same time.

Charlies Angels also shot the 2 hour 1977 season premiere on Oahu as well introducing Cheryl Ladd to the cast.

Brian Keith's show was on a couple years in the early 70s on NBC. His wife was from here I think. Tragically Keith committed suicide as did his daughter in the past 10 years.

Did Lucy ever shoot a show in Hawaii?

I dont believe I Spy ever shot a show here, would have been nice if they did as that was a great on location series.

I know exteriors of Hawaiian Eye were filmed on Oahu, but was the series actually filmed here or on the Warner Brothers backlot in Hollywood?

I know Bill Bixby LOVED Hawaii, his ashes were spread over Maui and his widow lives there. I know one episode was said to be in Hawaii (I dont recall how David Banner got there), not sure if it was actually filmed here or not.

KalihiBoy

Comment

This seems to be a pretty thorough list of all shows Hawaii-related...I found it while I was searching for someting else.

http://www.hawaiifilmoffice.com/pdf/...s-20060216.pdf
                Last edited by AbsolutChaos; February 27, 2006, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                  This seems to be a pretty thorough list of all shows Hawaii-related...I found it while I was searching for someting else.

http://www.hawaiifilmoffice.com/pdf/...s-20060216.pdf
                  For those interested in current Hawaii film related subjects, Mynette Louie of the state's film office blogs here. Interesting stuff!

Comment

I think one of the best "special eps in Hawaii" was on ER when Mark Greene and his family came here for him to die. It wasn't a cheesy or touristy view of Hawaii and they showcased Israel Kamakawiwo`ole's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, which was just beautiful.

eta: Not to say ER hasn't since jumped the shark but I don't think it jumped the shark as a result of the Hawaii ep.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      For those interested in current Hawaii film related subjects, Mynette Louie of the state's film office blogs here. Interesting stuff!
                      Cool. Surprised there was not much at all on the Hawaii visit by that British production company here to shoot the "documentary" I Killed John Lennon...

It was both fun and infuriating. We shot a couple days at la mariana. And the heliport area makai of Hawaiian village. And at the original apartment complex Chapman actually resided at.. and other locales...
                      One day while at la mariana, I saw a gaggle of people checkin out the place. Annette was sitting there wondering what these clip board laden people are doing. I recognised them as location scouts and such and introduced myself. Said:
                      If ya need props, decor and wardrobe for a shoot here. i am yer man.
                      so. they outfitted most all the extras with aloha shirts selelcted from a collection I brought down, as all my stuff is vintage 60's and 70's and that flik is a period piece, of course. The wardrobe girl had just had a buncha generic 80's sport shirts, nothing that really conveyed "70's aloha shirt."

We filled all the tables and extra's hands with tiki mugs from my collection.
                      The scenes there woulda looked boring and empty without it. imagine all the tables full of glass only. And all the extras drinking out of glassware. It's the details li'dat that count. I mean if they said "OK, but we can't pay ya!" I woulda donated the use of them anyway just cus, i mean, scenes at la mariana? with NO tiki mugs!? get outta Dodge!
                      One pivotal scene entailing closeups of the Chapman, Gloria Abe and Chapman's mum characters required a continual supply of candles. They had none. neither did the restaurant. I basically created them outta nothing.
                      yea, they were last minute, scattered and basically disorganised, but we did what we could. Really wanted to help this work, even tho many said; Hey! You are working on a flik that is glorifying the murder and the murderer of the Man! i mean John lennon. he's da man! Why you do dat!?

Was fun to be a part of it. Was good fun to be asked, "hey can you also work as atmosphere? we need extras". Sure. no prob, Bob. We had about a couple dozen or so extras hanging around there for i think two nites til 2.30 a.m. As you know, extra work is mostly sitting around waiting. It could be conceived as very boring work. Then when you hit yer mark, and they do take after take. So when you have something to do, yer action is repetitive. It wasn't easy, but many feel, hey... need something on the resume.
                      Which makes it even more of a shame when after the production company bails outta hawaii, most everyone's check bounces. i mean they screwed everyone. And trying to get remuneration was like pulling teeth. They really hurt the struggling people who basically dropped anything and everything for the few weeks they worked for these brits, who, for all the world really appeared as if they hated working with Americans, working in America, and especially here in a lackadaisical setting such as this, which I understand they really dislike, They seem to think of us as a buncha lazy gorillas hulking around in our jungle.
                      Too bad. maybe we are, But hey. we are a buncha happy gorillas and we know we do good work.
                      Last edited by kimo55; March 25, 2006, 09:28 AM.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago, ABC showed an episode of SuperNanny with a couple living in nuuanu. The thing was, that they were as haole as you can get w/out being in the military.

(I wonder if they'll shoot another episode with a local family?)
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

the animated scooby doo series in the 70s or 80s had an epi in Hawaii too.

and so did Jem and the Holograms.
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                            A couple of weeks ago, ABC showed an episode of SuperNanny with a couple living in nuuanu. The thing was, that they were as haole as you can get w/out being in the military.

(I wonder if they'll shoot another episode with a local family?)
                            Like all other reality type shows, SuperNanny is looking for great TV...ratings...$$$!!! This is strictly a guess on my part but I doubt racial diversity is high on the list. In the case of the Nuuanu couple, location would probably boost ratings more than the race of the family. That said, I haven't watched the show a lot but when I have I've noticed some racial diversity but not very much. Predominantly caucasian from what I've seen.

It would be interesting to me, however, that ALL things being equal between a local and a haole family (equally obnoxious kids, adults equally comfortable on camera, the potential for equally good TV, yada, yada) I wonder which family the show would choose and why.

BTW...I really like that show and Jo-Jo! Sure wish I'd had some of her tricks of the trade 30 years ago! Fortunately I would not have needed her services but she has some really good 'tools' for working with kids.

Comment

I think she is soooooooooooo hot. HOT.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Not sure if these have been mentioned already:

Arthur Godfrey
                                McCloud
                                I Dream of Jeannie
                                Sanford & Son
                                Jeffersons
                                Growing Pains

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                                X