State Capitol Building site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Capitol Building site

The site where the State Capital Building sits on now, what was there before the building got built?
    Last edited by helen; October 31, 2007, 09:28 AM.

Re: State Capital Building site

Originally posted by helen View Post
    The site where the State Capital Building sits on now, what was there before the building got built?
    Helen, I have pictures of the Ground breaking Ceremony somewhere. My dad was the Safety Man.heheheh Alas he's gone. MAMA is 82 can't remember.

I only remember playing on the construction site.

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I believe the original Central Union Church was there (of course later relocated on Beretania/Punahou corner). Schumann Carriage later bought the land and turned it into an automobile showroom. The state ended up acquiring the land and demolished the building during the 1960's, the state capital as we know it opened on 3/15/69.

I remember reading about this in the Honolulu Then & Now book (got it at Costco) which I highly reccommend to anyone interested in Honolulu history. My only complaint I wish more commercial establishments, i.e. mom and pop stores, department stores, etc. now gone would have been used in the book with old photos to see what was then and what is now.

Aj

Comment

I found some amazing photos of this looking through the Honolulu Advertiser archives, and this is a topic in my new book "The Companies We Keep 2 – More amazing stories about Hawaii people, places and companies."

It will be out around Dec. 1. I've attached one picture here, but the size restrictions make it difficult to see what it is.

This is a view looking mauka and Ewa from the corner of Hotel and Punchbowl.

Both Hotel and Miller used to run through the property. On the corner of Punchbowl and Hotel, across from the State Library, was a Shell gas station. Next to it was the Iolani Barracks, which was taken apart, moved and reassembled 10 yards away on Richards St.

Next to that, on the corner of Hotel and Miller, was the State Armory, the big object in the picture, if you can see it.

The whole site was filled with buildings, and at only 8 acres, was considered to small for the capitol.

Twenty other locations were considered, including Fort. Armstrong, Aala Park, what's now the HPU Windward campus, the Ala Wai Golf Course, and Fort Ruger.

I also have an aerial view of the whole area prior to 1959, when the decision was made. The only thing recognizable in it is Iolani Palace.

Bob Sigall
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Creative-1; November 6, 2007, 08:39 AM. Reason: added a word

Comment

Also, as I recall the pedestrian walkway in the back of the state capital until the early 70's was still part of the Hotel Street roadway with cars going one way towards town if I remember right.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            Also, as I recall the pedestrian walkway in the back of the state capital until the early 70's was still part of the Hotel Street roadway with cars going one way towards town if I remember right.

Aj
            Yes, 1973, I believe. It was three lanes, one way, Ewa. Here's a picture of it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X