Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Site Running Slow

Originally posted by admin View Post
    They're recommending a dedicated server, and while I love you all, I don't know if I can afford that much love.
    Maybe we can. Would it be worth "opening the books" on the site's costs and soliciting donations?
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I have seen this frustrating message too often after I log on and it has interfered with my posting. It must be my computer tosses its cookies at a rapid rate. Thanks for the explanation.

pax

Comment

When you login to Hawaiithreads to click on the option of remembering the login?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          At work, I've been popping on to check HT from time to time without logging on from my work computer
          Same here. I don't log in because I don't want to reset the "new messages" that I haven't read yet.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            When you login to Hawaiithreads to click on the option of remembering the login?
            I don't want to do that on my work computer, where others might (at some point) also have access. Don't want someone logging in as me and flaming all you folks I love so much! (Remember that - if it ever seems like I'm flaming anyone here - it's likely an imposter. Yeah...an imposter...that's my story.)

Latest thing I've noticed is that the system automatically logs me out after a certain period of inactivity - but I suspect that's a security issue on the work network, as that doesn't happen at home.

Comment

No that's HawaiiThreads logging you out. I don't know the exact time limit but if you don't refresh your web page to HawaiiThreads you will be logged off. This is a factor if you are composing a post to HawaiiThreads. If you take too long to do so it will log you out (it will not do that if you have checked "remember login").

To get around that you can either click on the Preview Post button every so often or open up a second window to HawaiiThreads and read some thing else on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                Chances are, you've been seeing this message lately:Basically, I have had to limit browsing by unregistered users in an attempt to bring down the server load. The good news is, anyone can register, even if they never post a message.

Again, I'm sorry for any periodic denials of your HawaiiThreads fix, and greatly appreciate your continued support and participation!
                Question?
                So Geocachers and others that I suggest checking these forums out to,
                quite often now can't see what it's about without registering first?

We had the most users online way back in May '06,
                so how come the lesser amount of users lately causes the server problems?
                I just don't understand, that's all.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  We had the most users online way back in May '06, so how come the lesser amount of users lately causes the server problems? I just don't understand, that's all.
                  The popularity of HT means that search engine bots (computer programs that scan websites and all their links) are eager to check up more often. A human doesn't generally click every message and every link in every message the way a bot often does (I'm simplifying only because my own understanding is rather simple). A bot basically sends more requests per visit (by far) than a human.

Also, Ryan keeps the archives open, which means that the bots have more stuff now to look at than they did in 2006. The bots may have already looked at the Jasmine Trias American Idol posts, but they look again because the search engines want to keep current.

I run a very small discussion forum with very little traffic, and even that forum has at least one bot checking it out at just about any given moment, and we're talking about a forum less than 1% the size of this one.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks Scrivener for filling me in.
                    I get it now.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X