Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Music is the Key of Life than RAP music...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If Music is the Key of Life than RAP music...

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Rap, as most of you know, is an acronym for Rhythm And Poetry. Google the Watts Prophets.
    Thank you! Not all "rap" is hateful / violence encouraging / glorifying the slums / etc. Not all of it is even in English. In fact some of the best I've heard, musically speaking, is in Japanese. It's such a rhythmic language. (Try "globe".) There is some that is quite musically advanced (try "Bus Driver", who refers to his music as "prog hop").

Also not all Hondas have big booming stereo systems... mine never did

That said I'm right with the OP on some of the attitudes that surround hip hop in general. Even my fancy new windows can't keep out the neighborhood bass-nuts' rudeness. But under the right mood even I'll occasionally crank up some Busta' or NWA (watching Office Space was embarrassing for me... heh!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
      :::goes off to look for Sudden Rush in my mp3 library because contrary to what you might think, they really are the sheeeeee-it:::
      That's what I was thinking of when I first read this thread until I got to your post. Rap isn't all bad people, what's wrong with Sudden Rush?

They are who I'm listening to right now. EA. Well I was listening to that, now I'm listening to Paradise Lost.
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Freedom of speech, Bad Parenting, Don't blame the music....all the arguments and points of view on this subject....I wonder how or IF this will relate to THIS subject

Funny, as much as I am a musician, composer, and believer in free speech, I can't entirely disagree with the initial post.

The thing is, Rappers, rockers, jazz muzos...and anyone else who has been accused of creating "the devil's music" and being a "bad influence" needs to be a little more mindful of what they say. I think that anyone in the precarious position of being famous to the point of being "influencial" on how kids act...glorifying acts of violence, mysogynism, drug abuse, crime etc....the ARTIST needs to think about their responsibility to their audience too.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but when you have a million plus teenagers buying your records, you need to think about the consequences of what you say, even if it's just for the sake of entertainment.

True, parents need to be responsible for what their kids are listening to, but how many people in here did stuff they knew thier parents would disapprove of while they were with their friends and their parents were at work, so they could eat and have a roof over their little misbehaving heads?

Me, for one, and I'm guessing everyone else in here too. So there is only so much a parent can do, the rest is shaped by peers, teachers and their surroundings.

As an artist and influencial person, they should be allowed to express themselves, but irresponsible actions beget irresponsible actions...

I don't know, it's a fine line. What do you do?

As an artist and songwriter, I don't think I could justify saying the kinds of stuff I hear in current rap music. Old School rap was a reflection of the, usually dire surroundings Rappers like Grand master Flash, Run DMC and Kurtis Blow found outside their doors.

Then NWA came out, and reflected on their surroundings, but in a much more pro violent way. Run DMC and the like usually spoke out against violence, encouraging more intellectual solutions.

After NWA, it seemed to escalate into what it is now. I consider them the birth of this horrible trend, that only seems to be getting worse.But I never walked in the shoes of a black man in Compton, so it's hard for me to say.

At the end of the day, I dont think using an AK47 to gun down a cop or an opposing gang member is the right answer to anything. Niether is glorifying it in a musical context.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          i wonder if even mozart was controversial when he dropped his first joint, snortsnort.

hellbent, you do remember that the nineties spawned hanson and the spice girls, eh? i'm not sure that fergie (who was a wee miss on kids, inc. during my preteen years) is less talented than either.

sorry i unknowingly stole your post. how often is it that you and i agree on anything, anyway? *shrug*
          mMM not sure I'm saying they arent talented, I guess it depends on what you consider talented... Can sell alot of songs? Break the top 100? Sings well? giant bazoongas?
          Perhaps they can sing without help from that mac program (forgot what its called) but got stuck with vapid songs from another writer.

Parents fault? Its hard to say. I watched a bunch of kids grow up when I had my store. I saw one, he looked like the genius chicken with the eyeglasses in the cartoons with Foghorn Leghorn go from gifted student to thug-wannabee. Was it the music, parents, rebelious age, social/enviromental factors? Hard to say. He's been kicked out of his school, has a gang tat by his thumb, and who knows what else. His parents divorcing probably didnt help.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
            Thank you! Not all "rap" is hateful / violence encouraging / glorifying the slums / etc. Not all of it is even in English. In fact some of the best I've heard, musically speaking, is in Japanese. It's such a rhythmic language. (Try "globe".) There is some that is quite musically advanced (try "Bus Driver", who refers to his music as "prog hop").

Also not all Hondas have big booming stereo systems... mine never did

That said I'm right with the OP on some of the attitudes that surround hip hop in general. Even my fancy new windows can't keep out the neighborhood bass-nuts' rudeness. But under the right mood even I'll occasionally crank up some Busta' or NWA (watching Office Space was embarrassing for me... heh!)

There was this PS1 game called Parappa the Rapper. Definately Japanese Anime where you had to follow the RAP moves to win. http://www.us.playstation.com/PSone/...GS/index2.html
            Attached Files
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

RAP ...IMO, sure beats the hell of "Jawaiian" and all these karaoke-like covers we hear in most local music.
              As far as Flava Flav goes, listen to the message he and Public Enemy send out . They really have a lot to say.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                RAP ...IMO, sure beats the hell of "Jawaiian" and all these karaoke-like covers we hear in most local music.
                As far as Flava Flav goes, listen to the message he and Public Enemy send out . They really have a lot to say.
                I agree, but only when Flav was with Public Enemy. His reality show really has no positive message.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but I just listen to music as a background tool. Sure, having a subwoofer for the bass enhances the experience, but I never take any lyrics seriously (unless its feeling based).
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Sorry... I meant HIP-HOP!

Originally posted by maliaam6 View Post
                    ...in Hawaii must END! It doesn't match with the island scene
                    anyway. No kiddin'.

Rap music badly influence our children to the tee. From rap to hondas,
                    many kids today simply disrespect their parents. I've seen this
                    happen to my neighbors up-front.

Their kids were A students. One day, and for the first time, I
                    watched as my neighbor's kid came home with other kids in
                    a honda. They were listening to cussing rap music.

I'm talking HO HO HO's to the tee. F--k, sh-t, m----f--k-r,
                    you name it they said them.

James, my neighbor wasn't complaining or saying anything. He
                    let the 'sounds' play. But as it went on it started getting louder.

BOOM! BOOM!... you know what i mean.

Now he started to react and said nicely to turn the 'stuff' down
                    some. no chance, these kids only turned it up louder. James
                    kid didn't say anything to his 'friends' but to his dad.

Dad, 'what's the prob man?... we're only kickin' it, god d-mn',
                    then,' laters Pops' he said walking away.

From then on it was never to be the same. His other 3 girls also
                    went 'kickin' it'. Sad.

Anyway, in Hawaii RAP is NOT considered music. As locals we
                    stick to the simple way, C&K, Olomana, etc.

mahalo,
                    Levi

Comment

gimme all of it. Hardcore hip hop, rap, rock, punk, emo, jawaiian, master chanting, raggae, blues, bluegrass, cachicachi all of it. Just don't tell me who records the stuff, or I get all mortal and feel bad.

Now country music, yiiiick. Unless its bluegrass with serious banjo and tubthumping, otherwise I cannot deal.

If the music can move me, if the rythmn and beat is mean, if the lyrics are poetry, I am all over it.

pax

Comment

I was always a fan of groups like NWA and Public Enemy etc. Poetic license goes pretty far with me. I do not expect artists to be role models for our youth in general. In fact I don't think anyone should be compelled to be a role model because of their station in society. Should be strictly voluntary.

The thought of comparing the sentiments in the lyrics of Zack de la Rocha of RATM to the writings of Ms. Trask occured to me for the other thread. The whole articulation of anger being indispensible thing.

Pua'i,
                        Ever listen to any Zydeco?
                        Last edited by sinjin; April 19, 2007, 05:06 AM.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                          I was always a fan of groups like NWA and Public Enemy etc. Poetic license goes pretty far with me. I do not expect artists to be role models for our youth in general. In fact I don't think anyone should be compelled to be a role model because of their station in society. Should be strictly voluntary.

But the problem is, these artists ARE a role model for the youth, whether they want it or not. It comes with the territory. They know that. In the case of NWA, they were expressing their anger, and were an largely unknown group on their first album, which they released themselves.

They did set a precendent, but once an artist acquires a million plus fans, and realizes their power of their influence, I feel like they need to think about how what they say will resonate with the young, impressionable minds that make up their audience.

Sinjin, you can love your poetic license all you want...do you have kids ?

Would you want your 13 year old listening to "F*ck the Police" by NWA ? Would you want your kids' opinions shaped or influenced by this kind of content ?

And if you were too busy working to keep a roof over his/her head to monitor them, and explain to them that this kind of stuff needs to be taken with a grain of salt, and that this is THE ARTIST'S opinion, not thiers, what then?

The kid makes up his/her own mind...who are they going to believe?

Poetic license, yea, but when it comes home it's a little different story.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                            But the problem is, these artists ARE a role model for the youth, whether they want it or not. It comes with the territory. They know that.
                            If you choose to accept the assignment IMO. You are not required to act accordingly and many don't. It only takes a little parenting to set things straight.

They did set a precendent, but once an artist acquires a million plus fans, and realizes their power of their influence, I feel like they need to think about how what they say will resonate with the young, impressionable minds that make up their audience.
                            Why? Not their job.

Sinjin, you can love your poetic license all you want...do you have kids?
                            Two little ones of my own and a 16 yr old stepson who listens to whatever he likes including that to which you refer.

Would you want your 13 year old listening to "F*ck the Police" by NWA ? Would you want your kids' opinions shaped or influenced by this kind of content ?
                            I want him to be aware of the real world he is part of. There are many factors shaping the opinions of our youth.

And if you were too busy working to keep a roof over his/her head to monitor them, and explain to them that this kind of stuff needs to be taken with a grain of salt, and that this is THE ARTIST'S opinion, not thiers, what then?
                            You make time to explain things or suffer the consequences. That or put them in a monastery or convent.

The kid makes up his/her own mind...who are they going to believe?
                            Indeed.

Poetic license, yea, but when it comes home it's a little different story.
                            Don't you mean poetic license No?
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                              Poetic license goes pretty far with me. I do not expect artists to be role models for our youth in general. In fact I don't think anyone should be compelled to be a role model because of their station in society. Should be strictly voluntary.
                              Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                              but once an artist acquires a million plus fans, and realizes their power of their influence, I feel like they need to think about how what they say will resonate with the young, impressionable minds that make up their audience...Would you want your 13 year old listening to "F*ck the Police" by NWA? Would you want your kids' opinions shaped or influenced by this kind of content?
                              Tikiyaki, my musical compadre, with all due respect, I must side more with Sinjin in this case. I believe in artistic integrity, to the extent that artists should not feel the need to censor their creative expression simply because there is a change in the dynamic of their potential audience. That is pandering to a common denominator, and it can diminish art.

Artists of all forms should create what they are inspired to create until they (the artists) are satisfied with it. Adapting art to the perceived audience is what leads us to the Brittany/Avril/Mary-Kate 'n' Ashley-clone music that surrounds us.

As for my 13-year-old and NWA - well, she's 26 now, but she was raised with an attitude that she could ask me about ANYTHING (still can), and I had faith (borne out on a number of occasions) that, had she listened to the message of "F*ck Tha Police," she would have asked me what they meant. (Whether or not I could do a good job explaining - well, that's another story, but not for discussion here.)

The responsibility fell on me (not the musicians that the media wanted her to hear) to develop my child into an adult who has the skills to think and decide for herself, not to protect her from "dangerous" art. Art needs to be more iconoclastic sometimes.

Comment

Wait a sec here...I'm not advocating censorship. I'm not saying an artist should not be able to say what's on their mind, just suggesting that maybe there are things to consider, that maybe just because you're allowed to say certain things, doesn't mean you just go ahead and say them. That's not censorship , just good conscience.

As for your kids...good for you, glad to hear that you're doing your job as parents...lot's of kids aren't this lucky.

OK, then, that brings us back to Don Imus...Lots of hoohaa about what a racist he is, should he be allowed to say what he said ?....in America yes...is the ENTIRE community up in arms about it ? Yes.

He loses his job, NWA gets rich...everyone knows what he said was inappropriate....is glorifying carrying guns, selling dope, and committing crimes MORE or LESS appropriate than calling a bunch of women basketball players a bunch of "Nappy headed Ho's" .

Both are in the name of "entertainment" and "artistic expression".

Comment

Working...
                                X