Merrie Monarch 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrie Monarch 2007

Ahh...Merrie Monarch. For me, it's like Christmas all over again.

Merrie Monarch will be held on April 12-14 this year, and since KITV's already posted the list of participating Miss Aloha Hula contestants and halau, I figured I'd start this thread.

Miss Aloha Hula Contestants
    Competing Kane Halau
    Competing Wahine Halau

Pay close attention to the list of Wahine Halau. No, that's not a typo. Kapua Dalire-Moe's halau will be competing against her mother's halau. Is this the first time in MM history that a child kumu will be competing against his/her parent kumu? I'm so very excited to see Kapua's halau compete. Sources (who'll kill me if I cite them) have said that Aloha's halau has suffered both creatively and competitively since Kapua left to start her own halau and judging from recent MM performances...I can't help but agree. I've seen members of Kapua's halau perform at various events, and I'm so happy that they were invited this year to compete.

I mean no disrespect at all to the older, more seasoned kumu hula -- but I always look forward to halau led by the new kumu hula: Kaleo, Snowbird, Kau`i, and Manu come to mind. Pay close attention to Kamaka Kukona's Halau O Ka Hanu Lehua. They're competing for the first time, and hopefully he'll be able to bring his wahine next year.

Absent from competition again this year (set to return next year) is Halau Na Mamo O Pu`uanahulu, but they will perform Wednesday evening during the free exhibition.

Na Lei O Kaholoku is also on break this year.

As of now, I don't think I'll be able to make it again this year because of work, but I'm crossing my fingers that divine intervention will allow me to hop on that plane Wednesday afternoon!

To say I'm anxious and excited about MM07 would be an understatement!!!
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Merrie Monarch 2007

You could be like my gf. After dancing for years and years she can't stop going. She doesn't dance competitively anymore but she loves to go shopping at all of the craft fairs. She watches it from the hotel cause she says it's more comfortable than sitting on those seats for hours. :P
    You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

I will also be watching the Merrie Monarch 2007 competition again this year from the couch.
      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I'll be watching Antonio's Ohana dancing again under Kumu Hula Kapiolani Ha'o "Halau Ke Kia 'i A O Hula."

Kumu Kapiolani completed her Hula training and was graduated to Kumu Hula Palapala under her Kumu, Master Kumu George L. Na'ope in March of 1979. She has also had the opportunity to learn from Kumu Hula Kamulea Nae'ole and Kumu Hula Frank Kawaiikapu'okapu'okalani Hewitt.

Antonio's uncle and aunty are Kumus.

Izzy's brother, a teacher at Aiea High School is now a Kumu.
        Kumu Isaac-Davey Wailani Avilla will be dancing.

His sister, Kumu Isis-Davelyn Kapiolani Avilla (whose named after her aunt).

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

One day I hope to get to see the competition live but for now I'll be watching it from the comfort of my desk chair, online. *Sigh*

Auntie, that is so very special for Antonio to be able to watch his 'ohana out there doing their thing. Hula is definitely in his blood.

Hula is in my blood when it comes to my Laie/Kahuku 'ohana and I would definitely love to devote time to study and especially would love my sons to learn. Sadly there's no halau anywhere near me anymore. I do believe the closest one is a significant drive.
          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
            Auntie, that is so very special for Antonio to be able to watch his 'ohana out there doing their thing. Hula is definitely in his blood.
            Antonio's daddy also danced since he was little and at many MM Competitions. When his brother and sister became Kumus, I teased him. "What happened to you? How come you not one Kumu?" He replied "I one Kumu! I Kumu of my own HALE!!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              I Kumu of my own HALE!!!!"
              And that's the most important thing!

I tease my kane that I'm ali'i nui of our hale. I have a vast 1500 sq ft kingdom filled with all kinds of treasures like legos and toy trucks. LOL!
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

The shirts are ugly( then again I've never seen a nice one). Gold this with the same stupid lei.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Speaking of shirts and such... I didn't care too much for the 2007 poster, but the last few years' have been incredible. See here. We got to stop in his shop while in Hilo and buy some cards of them. Apparently a print of the 2003 poster goes for $200 now!

Thanks for the streaming link, looking forward to watching

Comment

I'll be there to see it and breathe it all in!

Thank goodness for Halau Mohala Ilima who were able to give me 2 of their "extra" tickets!!

I really was all set to go with airfares, accoms, a rental car and NO Merrie Monarch tickets!!!

Now... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I watched it on TV last year and vowed that I wouldn't miss out in '07. My faves (apart from Mapuana who has been so kind) are the young'uns - especially Snowbird & Kaleo. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have come up with this year.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE KUMU & DANCERS.
                    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                      Speaking of shirts and such... I didn't care too much for the 2007 poster, but the last few years' have been incredible. See here. We got to stop in his shop while in Hilo and buy some cards of them. Apparently a print of the 2003 poster goes for $200 now!

Thanks for the streaming link, looking forward to watching
                      When I was on Maui the last 2 weeks, I stopped at the place I usually can find MM festival shirts and posters and bought a t-shirt (you're right: this year's t-shirt is a pretty gawd awful yellow). I didn't buy the poster this year, but I do have the one from 2005 with Hopo'e and Hi'iaka. I understand that the Festival has convinced Makua to do another series of Hawaiian legends beginning with 2008. I'll definitely be buying copies then! They're only $10 for the current year; the lady at the shop said the print I have was going for about $150 on eBay...as if I would ever sell it!

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Oooo... I'll definitely be checking that out. Is he doing the posters for Merrie Monarch, or just as a thing on his own?

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                          Oooo... I'll definitely be checking that out. Is he doing the posters for Merrie Monarch, or just as a thing on his own?
                          Apparently MM commissioned Makua to continue his series on Hawaiian legends specifically for the Festival. His artwork truly is amazing...I bought last year's poster too, but it has disappeared from my possession somehow (major sadness)

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

i cant wait!! i too will be watching on my computer, but i'm still mad excited about it all. last year, i was able to record the live stream (because i knew i'd fall asleep! lol), so i'm gonna do the same this year.

it's my dream to dance on that stage...my mom and i went to hilo to see the mm in person back in 2005 and i got chicken skin just thinking about dancing on that stage. *shivers* one day!! :-)

Comment

I will be taking my daughter on Friday night. I cannot wait to experience this event "in person".

Who else will go from HT.....let's meet up, and put faces on names.

PM me if you plan to attend Friday night.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X