Walgreens in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

I don't see how you can differentiate between Wal-Mart/Walgreens/Longs. They can all be considered "soul-sucking corporations” or all be considered “non-soul-sucking corporations.” Just because Longs has been in Hawai’i for so long doesn’t exclude it from the “corporation” category. I’m sure all the executives at Longs are as greedy as those at Wal-Mart and Walgreens. I think the employees at each location are what distinguish the store as “local” or not.
    Arturo

Comment

Hey, Longs may be a giant soul-sucking corporation too, but dammit, it's our giant soul-sucking corporation.

Comment

Re: Walgreen coming to Hawaii?

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        I think Miulang might be under the impression that Walgreens and Wal-Mart are connected. Both may be giant soul-sucking corporations, but they're not directly related.
        Eh Glenn, you are correct. Walgreen's is the largest retail pharmacy in the country. And WM is one of the world's largest blood sucking corporations.

Both share the proclivity to saturate the market with their stores. Walgreen is worse than WM in that regard, but they are as bad as SBUX for putting up stores within a block or two of another one. I think they did that up here to compete with the massive proliferation of Rite-Aid stores (an East Coast chain). In this town, there are street corners that have both a Walgreens and a Rite-Aid right across from each other. Duh. I go to Walgreens sometimes because there's one just down the street. But for most purchases, I would prefer to go to Long's even if it means having to drive 10 minutes.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Funny I always though it was our (California) corporation. What have we come to when we fight for greedy corporations .
          Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
            Even with an ABC Store on every corner?
            Where do tourists go to get their prescriptions filled, I wonder? Of course they should just plan ahead and bring enough, but... these are tourists we're talking about. I've seen more than a few sighing loudly and rolling their eyes in line at Longs Ala Moana to know there's some demand.

ABC seems to have the trinket and snack market locked up in Waikiki. Walgreens near military markets might work better (since I know at least one military couple that's creeped out by Longs!).

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Where do tourists go to get their prescriptions filled, I wonder? Of course they should just plan ahead and bring enough, but... these are tourists we're talking about. I've seen more than a few sighing loudly and rolling their eyes in line at Longs Ala Moana to know there's some demand.

ABC seems to have the trinket and snack market locked up in Waikiki. Walgreens near military markets might work better (since I know at least one military couple that's creeped out by Longs!).
              The really cool thing about Longs is one time we were visiting Maui and my kane needed to have a prescription from a Seattle dentist filled (he like a lolohead didn't think he needed the painkiller but he brought the Rx along just in case...good thing he did). Anyway, we went into the Kihei Longs and he gave the Seattle Rx to the pharmacist. Within about 10 minutes, they had called Seattle, confirmed the Rx and given JD his pain meds. Since the Longs in Kihei is one that tourists to that area would use, I think they did just great with an out of state prescription order.

Miulang

P.S. Most East Coast people wouldn't know from Longs or Walgreens. CVS corners the market on drugstores along most of the East Coast (and competes against Rite-Aid).
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I like to go to Longs and buy wine. Buy six and get a discount. So I always try to buy six bottles at a time. Lasts me a little while.
                I also like to go to Wal-Mart because at my local Longs is this chick who sent her kids to the same preschool as mine, and had them in the same classes as mine, but would ignore all of my attempts at conversation. If you know me, I'm a friendly sort. I can get just about anyone to open up. I decided it was her insecurities. But, as a result, I dropped $200 at Wal-Mart yesterday and I could have easily spent half of that at Longs had this woman, who is still there, acknowledged that words were coming out of my mouth a year and a half ago.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Well for what its worth there are more ABC Stores than roaches in Waikiki. It is ridiculous!! You cannot get pharmacy drugs at ABC Store so I think a Walgreens would do well maybe tear down the grocery mart on Kuhio near Kings Alley and put a Walgreens there. It doesnt matter if its tourists or locals, if you build it, they will come and I bet you that mainland tourists will flock to a Waikiki Walgreens much more than having to run to Ala Moana Longs.

I will shudder to see the lines at the Walgreens drug store during the cold/flu season!!

KalihiBoy

Comment

guess yer talking food pantry.
                    so sad.....

Comment

Yeah, I know this thread is many months old and I'm just now replying. Anyway, I'm a Walgreens Asst. Mgr (for 10 years) and I would look forward to moving back to Hawaii and opening up the first Walgreens stores on Oahu.

In order for Walgreens to expand to Hawaii they would have to plan to open at least 15 - 20 stores. There are various expense areas where it wouldn't make sense to open up less than that. A DTR (Data Technical Resourses) department would have to be open up to service the stores. This is the department that troubleshoots and maintains the electronics/computers at Walgreens. It requires at least 6 employees. Eventually they would have to open up a distribution center to service the stores. A seperate district office would also have to be opened up. This requires a minimum of 6 more employees.

I lived in Hawaii for 4 years in the 70's and have visited Hawaii quite frequently since then. Walgreens would very much have to create stores that cater to the clientele of the islands. While the majority of merchandise is from the warehouse system the management of the stores and the district have great leeway on selling other type of merchandise.

Comment

I've always shopped at Longs and I always will. I take my visitors from the Mainland there and they want to take Longs back with them

Comment

Originally posted by Kings House
                          I've always shopped at Longs and I always will. I take my visitors from the Mainland there and they want to take Longs back with them
                          I don't get it. They have Longs on the mainland also. Actually the first Longs store was in California. Should I assume that your visitors were from the East Coast or Midwest where there are no Longs stores, no?
                          Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
                            I don't get it. They have Longs on the mainland also. Actually the first Longs store was in California. Should I assume that your visitors were from the East Coast or Midwest where there are no Longs stores, no?
                            Arturo
                            We didn't get Longs up here in the Northwest until Longs bought out Pay N Pack chain about 15 years ago. I go to Walgreens for convenience (there's one right down the street and seems to be one about every other block in my neighborhood, and some are open 24x7) but for real "shopping" I always make a trek to my local Longs.

There's one Longs Drugs up north that has a manager who comes from Hawai'i, and he stocks Zippy chili, mac nuts and stuff like that; the Longs Drugs closest to me must have a manager who comes from England because we get stuff like Marmite and weird jams and Scottish oatmeal.

I hear the Longs Drugs in the LV area has the same kinds of stuff the Longs in Hawai'i have...the crack seeds lidat.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              There's one Longs Drugs up north that has a manager who comes from Hawai'i, and he stocks Zippy chili, mac nuts and stuff like that; Miulang
                              Are you kidding?! BTW Miulang, I'm here in Redmond doing an internship with Microsoft. Where's that Longs with the Zippy chili? I would LOVE to have some of that. It'll hold me back until I get back to Honolulu in August.
                              Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
                                Are you kidding?! BTW Miulang, I'm here in Redmond doing an internship with Microsoft. Where's that Longs with the Zippy chili? I would LOVE to have some of that. It'll hold me back until I get back to Honolulu in August.
                                Arturo
                                Hey Arturo:
                                That Longs Drugs is in Lynnwood (3815 196th SW, Lynnwood, WA 98036
                                In the Alderwood Village Shopping Center...Mailing Center avail.
                                Store Phone: 425-775-8400).

You can also get Zippy chili and other local kind grines at Uwajimaya (for sure in the Seattle store down in the International District, dunno about the Bellevue store) or at Central Market (up on Aurora Ave in Shoreline). Uwajimaya is like Shirokiya on steroids. . There's an Aloha Plates take out place in the Uwajimaya food court, too.

There's an L&L near the Lynnwood Longs Drug too (in the strip mall that's on the corner of 196th sW and Highway 99 that has the Safeway Market in it...19709 Highway 99 North, Suite F&G
                                Lynnwood, WA 98036 Phone: (425) 771-7629).

You like fresh poke? Lei's Family Restaurant in Duvall (out to the East of Bothell) has fresh poke on weekends and the best mac salad I've found in this area.

There's a really good Indian buffet in Redmond (not too far from the main campus of Microsoft) called Kanishka that a lot of Bill's employees eat at. Good selection of food there and relatively inexpensive.

Let me know if you need info on more places to shop/eat. I've tried most of the larger local grind kine places in the Greater Seattle area.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X