Lanai acquired by Ellison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanai acquired by Ellison

In a fascinating moment of our time, a software genius has bought a whole Island.
    Not that he will be able to tow it back to Frisco.
    The Noble Robinson family could not do that to Niihau or Nihoa.

Once under the protectorate of the new landlord one may hope that things change for the better.
    Time for a Hawaiian Pizza.

Re: Lanai acquired by Ellison

Ellison already owned a house on that island. I don't know if it had a porch or a deck, but now he can stand on it and look at his lanai.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
      Ellison already owned a house on that island. I don't know if it had a porch or a deck, but now he can stand on it and look at his lanai.
      good one!

Comment

Oracle Island?

Hey, don't be so sure it can't happen. If Ellison can get the Oakland Coliseum Arena re-named,.....
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Redmond will respond by acquiring Kahoolawe.

Comment

This doesn't even make sense to me. How do you "own" a Hawaiian Island???

He certainly doesn't own the homes/land of the residents. Does he own the beach? The public lands? The government buildings?

Do taxes go to him now?

Help me understand just what exactly this means.

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan View Post
              This doesn't even make sense to me. How do you "own" a Hawaiian Island???

He certainly doesn't own the homes/land of the residents. Does he own the beach? The public lands? The government buildings?

Do taxes go to him now?

Help me understand just what exactly this means.
              He will indeed own the land, just in the same sense a mainland homeowner "owns" their property. Residents lease their homes. The landowner pays taxes to the state, just as they do elsewhere. His ownership will consist of about 98% of the island, the rest is owned by the State of Hawai`i.

It's not as though this is a major change in status for the residents of Lāna`i; the island has been privately owned for decades, most recently by David Murdock of Castle & Cooke since 1985. Lāna`i was purchased by James Dole in 1922.

Does that help?

Comment

Good explanation, LL. Dru, as an example on Oahu...Bishop Estate owns lots of land. Over the years I've owned more than one home in "leasehold" with BE as the lessor. I paid monthly lease rent for the land under my home. And, more than once, BE offered to sell me the land so that I'd own it in "fee simple", which is more typical of mainland real estate. In the case of Lanai, there's one land baron who owns 98% of the land.

A piece of trivia...It was 1986, iirc, and I was working on a Dole pineapple commercial with Kenny Rogers, on the North Shore. We were in the pineapple fields and it started to rain. I busted out my umbrella so I could keep my paperwork dry and within a minute the producer pointed to a nicely dressed, older man about 30' away and asked me to stand next to him and shield him from the rain. Screw my script notes, I guess!! I introduced myself: "Hi, I'm Sue. I'm the script supervisor and vice president in charge of umbrellas." He held out his hand and said: "Nice to meet you, Sue. I'm David." No job description given! I figured...ad agency! Anyway, we had to stop filming so there I stood talking story with this very nice man who was quite the flirt! It didn't take long before we were into a potential flash flood situation. Someone grabbed David and Kenny and rushed them off to a chopper that was called in to evacuate them. Next thing I knew, 2 firemen were carrying me to safety (be still my little heart!). I bet it was a few years before I learned who it was that I was shielding with my umbrella!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  A piece of trivia...It was 1986, iirc, and I was working on a Dole pineapple commercial with Kenny Rogers, on the North Shore. We were in the pineapple fields and it started to rain. I busted out my umbrella so I could keep my paperwork dry and within a minute the producer pointed to a nicely dressed, older man about 30' away and asked me to stand next to him and shield him from the rain. Screw my script notes, I guess!! I introduced myself: "Hi, I'm Sue. I'm the script supervisor and vice president in charge of umbrellas." He held out his hand and said: "Nice to meet you, Sue. I'm David." No job description given! I figured...ad agency! Anyway, we had to stop filming so there I stood talking story with this very nice man who was quite the flirt! It didn't take long before we were into a potential flash flood situation. Someone grabbed David and Kenny and rushed them off to a chopper that was called in to evacuate them. Next thing I knew, 2 firemen were carrying me to safety (be still my little heart!). I bet it was a few years before I learned who it was that I was shielding with my umbrella!
                  Great lil sidebar, Tutu! That is awesome!

Reading about the plans he has, they seem rather ambitious, it will be interesting to see how far he makes it.

He didn't9couldn't) buy the whole thing, from what I understand, and left the 2% that is owned by island natives, and the population of about 3K people.

Saw mention of resort, and commercial buildings, 3 golf courses, and lord knows what else. I would find it hard to believe that any of the lanai residents are "excited" about the deal, and I guess time will tell.

Only managed 2 days out there, but LOVED the immeditate contrast between the HI I knew, O'ahu, and it's "just off shore" neighbor. I LOVED how country it was. . .and the fishing was just amazing!

I guess time will reveal all, but I hope that he doesn't try to turn it into a boutique resort island. I feel that the people that go to Lanai, go to Lanai for exactly the reasons of what it is: A laid back get away, of beautiful coastline, even more blue waters, and a retreat/home.
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Who gets custody of the the Lanai Boyee?

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                      Great lil sidebar, Tutu! That is awesome!
                      The sidebar to the sidebar is...Kenny also had a concert at the Shell that same night. While talking to him during the course of my job I mentioned how disappointed I was that I wouldn't be able to attend due to work + the drive back to town. Without missing a beat he said there would be a ticket waiting for me even if I arrived late! How could I refuse!!! I was so caked in mud from the sudden deluge that I had to cover my car seat with large garbage bags. I hightailed it back to town and there was, in fact, a ticket waiting. It was now raining in town but my new bff, David, had my umbrella! I grabbed one of the garbage bags, cut 3 holes in it, put it on and headed into the Shell...a bit late and way more than a bit dirty. I even got a shout out from my other new bff!!! Great concert, too.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread! Sorry for trippin' down Memory Lane!

Comment

Thanks. I forgot about the fee simple vs. leaseholds thing. This makes sense.

Comment

Here is an interesting editorial from a Lana'i resident:
                          http://www.civilbeat.com/posts/2012/...s-two-percent/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            The sidebar to the sidebar is...Kenny also had a concert at the Shell that same night. While talking to him during the course of my job I mentioned how disappointed I was that I wouldn't be able to attend due to work + the drive back to town. Without missing a beat he said there would be a ticket waiting for me even if I arrived late! How could I refuse!!! I was so caked in mud from the sudden deluge that I had to cover my car seat with large garbage bags. I hightailed it back to town and there was, in fact, a ticket waiting. It was now raining in town but my new bff, David, had my umbrella! I grabbed one of the garbage bags, cut 3 holes in it, put it on and headed into the Shell...a bit late and way more than a bit dirty. I even got a shout out from my other new bff!!! Great concert, too.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread! Sorry for trippin' down Memory Lane!
                            What did that man DO to his face!!!!?? God, he was soooo good looking and then I see him a dozen years or so later and I could not even believe that it is him.
                            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
                              What did that man DO to his face!!!!??
                              It's the curse of more $$$ than brains, and trying to maintain a lifestyle long after the horse left the barn.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X