Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for place to buy bottle of good Scotch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for place to buy bottle of good Scotch.

I like to drink Scotch, which I need less of since leaving the stress of NY but still enjoy once in a rare while. Specifically I like Auchentoshan 21 but can't find it in ABC or any of the local stores in Waikiki.

Anyone know of a place for good booze?

Re: Looking for place to buy bottle of good Scotch.

I don't know the name of the place or if it's still there but there is a place in Ward Warehouse that sells liquor.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      I don't know the name of the place or if it's still there but there is a place in Ward Warehouse that sells liquor.
      The Liquor Collection.

If they don't have it, I'm sure they'll know someone who will.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

You should also get to know sometime HTer Christa who can possibly hook you up with something else to quench that thirst if your favorite drink's unavailable.

I have a little Scotch thing going on, too, but am still sort of a beginner. What would you recommend for someone ready to take the next step after JW and Dewar's? Money is a consideration, of course.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You can also try Tamura's - they have a location on Waialae Ave. and also one in Kailua.

Also, Village Wine Cellar on Wilder has a pretty good selection.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Tamura's is a good choice... You also have the Vintage Wine Cellar on Wilder in the (I think it's called) Makiki Shoping Center, Fujioka's, Don Quixote and the Wine Stop.

The Ward Warehouse one is a expensive for the same stuff as the others and the selection is small (Don Quixote is about the same). Tamura's and Fujioka's have a larger selection and better prices. The Wine Stop are a little pricey, but you may find some rare stuff there (but I admit I haven't been there in a while). And the Vintage Wine Cellar has good prices, but a slightly smaller selection.

I haven't had the pleasure of drinking Auchentoshan and not sure if I've seen it around. I'd lean towards Fujioka's or the Wine Stop for that one. I know I haven't seen it at Ward or Don Quixote.
            Last edited by IslandBeef; December 27, 2008, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              You should also get to know sometime HTer Christa who can possibly hook you up with something else to quench that thirst if your favorite drink's unavailable.

I have a little Scotch thing going on, too, but am still sort of a beginner. What would you recommend for someone ready to take the next step after JW and Dewar's? Money is a consideration, of course.
              Try Balvine 12yr old Double Wood. I like this 12yr better then their older scotches I think it's the double barrel technique that makes it nice. I found it at Costco. The Auchentoshan by comparison costs $115 and it's VERY nice but the Balvine is my second choice right now.

Comment

Originally posted by desperado View Post
                Try Balvine 12yr old Double Wood. I like this 12yr better then their older scotches I think it's the double barrel technique that makes it nice. I found it at Costco. The Auchentoshan by comparison costs $115 and it's VERY nice but the Balvine is my second choice right now.
                Have you had the Bruichladdich links series? I like them (I've had a few of them).

Comment

I will check a few of these out. If I find it the person who located the shop get's a few shots on me

Comment

Two places I know to buy good liquor:

1.) The Liquor Collection. Ward Warehouse, ground floor near spaghetti factory. George has the MOST EXTENSIVE collection, and some of the best deals in the islands! (Even "the green fairy..." Absinthe!)
                    Read: Low prices, great stuff!
                    I bought some GREAT reds there for less than $5! (750ml bottle!)

2.) The R, Field Wine Company. Go to the Beretania near Kalakaua Foodland. Their selection is awesome, and their accessories are no ka oi!

Geeve 'em!
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The Liquor Collection's website lists their scotchs. I see they have the Balvenie in case scrivener would like to avoid the crowded Costco's

Their selection...
                      Balvenie, Bowmore, Bunnahabhain, Cardhu, Chivas Regal, Dalmore, Daluhinnie, Dimple Pinch, Dewars, Glen Fiddich, Glenkinchie, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenroths, Highland Park, Johnny Walker, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Oban, Old St. Andrews, Royal Salute

I will probably check them out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        What would you recommend for someone ready to take the next step after JW and Dewar's? Money is a consideration, of course.
                        I have purchased all the expensive brands, but the one I found I really like is JB Jet. It is inexpensive, less than $20. Another good blended Scotch is Ballentines, a bit more expensive, but better than some of the more highly promoted brands.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I rarely take a drink, but if the occasion is right, my favorite is whisky, specifically Talisker 10yr. I am able to get it through the only liquor store in my town. Barring that special purchase, I enjoy Glenfiddich, which can be found in most supermarkets.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            I rarely take a drink, but if the occasion is right, my favorite is whisky, specifically Talisker 10yr. I am able to get it through the only liquor store in my town. Barring that special purchase, I enjoy Glenfiddich, which can be found in most supermarkets.
                            I don't drink that stuff but friends of mine here and in Ireland love *Bushmills*
                            Can you get it there ?

Comment

Funny we just bought a bottle of "Black Bush" from Bushmills it is really
                              tasty! We drank little shot glasses of it with coffee on Christmas morning.
                              I like it way better than the regular Old Bushmills. Try it! We got it at
                              Tamura's on Waialae.

Comment

Working...
                              X